Canada BC | Alberta | Saskatchewan | Manitoba Ontario | Quebec | Maritime Provinces

Time to store the bike

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2016, 08:44 AM
Scorpio09SG
Road Captain
Received 410 Likes on 231 Posts

Agree with you 100 percent Gary. There were some days this past summer where it was just unbearable to ride so the Harley stayed in the garage those days. Not complaining tho, will take the warm weather over the cold any day.
Latest prediction now for Tuesday here is 22C. That's almost 72F and that in itself is awesome!!
Cheers, Terry

Old 10-27-2016, 08:47 AM
Harley1016
Advanced
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I had to get my bike ready for the winter down here in Florida..... which means I put a long sleeve shirt in the saddle bag and switch from my cloth dew rag to my leather one to keep my dome from getting cold! LOL

Old 10-27-2016, 11:48 AM
jbrooksca
Cruiser
Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

2014 Ultra in storage as of Oct 14. Town of Caledon and Region of Peel have been known to lay down road brine early. I rode on that stuff once, was like being on 10W30, after that bike goes away middle of October. Winter mods being mulled over.

Jerry

Old 10-27-2016, 12:07 PM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,515 Likes on 6,271 Posts

I like to wash and wax the bike before putting it away. So I check the 10 day forecast , and the last weekend around 50°, I put her away. Could be October, or December, you never know.

Old 11-05-2016, 08:08 PM
Hounddog1010
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

500k already this weekend.. riding Southern Alberta

Old 11-06-2016, 12:10 PM
murray5p
Advanced
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thought we were done riding here in central Sask. as well , went out yesterday Plus 21c . Farmers are happy as well, combines going like crazy, lots of crops left on the ground after the couple snows we have had.

Old 11-06-2016, 01:05 PM
tfi racing
Road Master
Received 401 Likes on 199 Posts

First day out here without rain in about a month,maybe the last ride for a while...

Old 11-08-2016, 08:24 AM
GARY DYER
Elite HDF Member

Received 689 Likes on 412 Posts

I laugh at all those that put away their bikes last month when it turned 59*. This last weekend it was sunny and 73*. Put another 300 miles on the clock - smiling all the way thinking of all those sitting on the couch crying. Bruhahahahahahahahahahahahah.

My only concern is that it's going to be in the 40's or 50's for the Chicago Toys For Tots parade on Sunday Dec. 4th - that's way too warm. But the kids will benefit.

Don't forget =S100

Old 11-09-2016, 09:50 AM
Imold
another old guy

Received 4,614 Likes on 2,726 Posts

Originally Posted by GARY DYER
I laugh at all those that put away their bikes last month when it turned 59*. .......
You're mean, Gary, just rubbing it in like that. I thought about posting a pic of my sidecar rig in the parking crowd for yesterday's vote (don't risk my Harleys in crowded parking lots), or later in the afternoon just cruising around and enjoying the breeze on the 1200, but I don't want to make anyone feel bad.

Last year I got to ride through December, and started riding this year in January, though admittedly there were few days for a few months I'd take a bike out. Sure makes the winter less miserable getting a few rides in, though, even if it took about 20 minutes to get all the clothes on. Even two layers doesn't cut it in single digits. Just once I'd like to do a few minutes at -30, but even the Russian bike probably wouldn't start at that temp (I have started it at zero, where the Harleys are hopeless); probably take over half an hour to put all the clothes on for that ride.

Old 11-09-2016, 10:11 AM
GARY DYER
Elite HDF Member

Received 689 Likes on 412 Posts

Originally Posted by Imold
You're mean, Gary, just rubbing it in like that. I thought about posting a pic of my sidecar rig in the parking crowd for yesterday's vote (don't risk my Harleys in crowded parking lots), or later in the afternoon just cruising around and enjoying the breeze on the 1200, but I don't want to make anyone feel bad.

Last year I got to ride through December, and started riding this year in January, though admittedly there were few days for a few months I'd take a bike out. Sure makes the winter less miserable getting a few rides in, though, even if it took about 20 minutes to get all the clothes on. Even two layers doesn't cut it in single digits. Just once I'd like to do a few minutes at -30, but even the Russian bike probably wouldn't start at that temp (I have started it at zero, where the Harleys are hopeless); probably take over half an hour to put all the clothes on for that ride.

Spend a couple hundred $$$ for some heated gear. Start with the gloves then work your way up to whatever you think you need next. I think it's well worth it if it lets me ride all winter. I atarted with just the gloves, then went for a jacket liner. Years later I got the heated pants liner just so I didn't have to put on 1 or 2 pairs of long johns and chaps.

When it really gets cold, I slide a waterbed heater under the Harley the night before. The oil is around 50~55 degrees in the morning = very easy starting. If I think it needs it, I also have a small electric heater that I hook up to a timer to turn on an hour or two before riding off. I aim it at the right side of the engine. I also change to 10-40 oil.

Don't forget the S100

Quick Reply: Time to store the bike