Canada BC | Alberta | Saskatchewan | Manitoba Ontario | Quebec | Maritime Provinces

Good or Bad exp at CANADIAN HD shops

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2016, 06:40 PM
CdnArmyGuy
Cruiser
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Ultraskier
I'm from Calgary and last July we shipped our FLHTK to JACOX HD in Mississauga and did a tour through Ontario and Quebec. The people at JACOX HD could not have been more rude and obnoxious if they tried. They even added extra charges above the invoice to ship the bike back. KANES HD is still trying to get that money refunded from Jacox. We rode through Algonquin Park to Ottawa, then on to Quebec City. Rode along the north shore of the St. Lawrence River all the way to the end of the pavement, then back to Baie Comeau and took the ferry to Matane. Rode around Gaspe and stopped at RIMOUSKI HD for a required service check. Called them the day before and they said they were fully booked for service, but if I could get the bike there an hour before they officially opened, they would get it done. While waiting they gave us a free loaner car to go into town for breakfast! Got a tour of the shop and met the techs and sales staff who wanted to meet the bikers from Alberta. They brought out maps and gave us suggestions for the ride to Montreal. Their pricing was VERY reasonable and they couldn't have been nicer.
Been there no impressed. Was just looking while wife shopped. It was your spending money get out.

Old 10-29-2016, 06:58 PM
SWMB
Road Warrior
Received 776 Likes on 499 Posts

I just bought my new Road King from Gaslight at Morden Mb. The deal went through fairly smooth so far I've no complaints.

Old 01-08-2017, 08:07 PM
BrokenAnchor
Road Captain
Received 124 Likes on 107 Posts

Been to a few HD shops in Ontario. Bought my 2014 CVO Breakout from Pete's in Pembroke. Brutal experience, sales personnel weren't too knowledgeable and the service department was just as bad. The only reason I went there is they were the only ones that had the bike I wanted in the colour I wanted. After my purchase I never went back. Since then, I believe they lost their franchise with HD and it's no wonder that they did. I love Freedom Harley in Ottawa and Goulet Motorsports in Hawkesbury. I prefer the sales people at Goulet, very knowledgeable and are not pushy at all. Freedom has a great parts department and Doug will be able to answer any questions and always treats customers with respect. Phil (the service manager) at Freedom is awesome as well.

Old 01-18-2017, 12:20 PM
CanadianRocky
Club Member
Received 20,108 Likes on 8,922 Posts

Harley Davidson of the Kootenays in Cranbrook is where I got my Electraglide and where I get my service done.

There work has been excellent and they are good people.

Old 01-20-2017, 01:11 PM
CanuckEH
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Excellent shop and Dealer

As for repair/parts shops, I ran my Dyna into B.A. Performance in Ottawa. Had an incredible experience right from the get go. From the front desk and walls full of parts to purchase right down to the mechanics working I was treated as a valued customer right off the bat. The mechanics gave of their time to show their shop, the Dyno set up as well as answered any questions. I highly recommend the crew down there .

As for Dealers, I have had great experience at Freedom Harley here in Ottawa where I purchased the bike as well as some of the more "exclusive HD Parts" only. I was treated with respect from the merchandise ladies to the salespeople to the parts department right down to the mechanics. Hot coffee always makes for a more pleasant browsing experience. Anyways this is my nickels worth (owing to no pennies so no two cents anymore). Cheers all.

Old 01-21-2017, 08:03 AM
CdnArmyGuy
Cruiser
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by BrokenAnchor
Been to a few HD shops in Ontario. Bought my 2014 CVO Breakout from Pete's in Pembroke. Brutal experience, sales personnel weren't too knowledgeable and the service department was just as bad. The only reason I went there is they were the only ones that had the bike I wanted in the colour I wanted. After my purchase I never went back. Since then, I believe they lost their franchise with HD and it's no wonder that they did. I love Freedom Harley in Ottawa and Goulet Motorsports in Hawkesbury. I prefer the sales people at Goulet, very knowledgeable and are not pushy at all. Freedom has a great parts department and Doug will be able to answer any questions and always treats customers with respect. Phil (the service manager) at Freedom is awesome as well.
Yes Petes is crap. I needed a part and all i got was the rin around.

Old 02-20-2017, 12:43 AM
E56789
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Over the years I've dealt with Deeley's, Barnes, Kamloops (before the takeover), Prince George and Smithers. Usually paid too much but never left feeling screwed.

A couple of weeks ago I decided to get an engine guard from Factory 47 for my Road Glide. List price US$350, shipping to Canada $130 plus tax and exchange direct from them $651 Canadian. I asked them if they had any Canadian dealers close to Vancouver and they told me Calgary HD was one of their top reps. Price from them was $951 plus tax and shipping to Vancouver. A guy on a local bagger blog told me to try Konquer Motorcycles (used to be Kreator), an indy in Kelowna, and they set me up for $631, tax in and free shipping.

Guess who will never be going to Calgary HD even if I throw a rod while driving past their front door.

Old 02-20-2017, 07:55 AM
BrokenAnchor
Road Captain

Originally Posted by hsiafreak
Over the years I've dealt with Deeley's, Barnes, Kamloops (before the takeover), Prince George and Smithers. Usually paid too much but never left feeling screwed.

A couple of weeks ago I decided to get an engine guard from Factory 47 for my Road Glide. List price US$350, shipping to Canada $130 plus tax and exchange direct from them $651 Canadian. I asked them if they had any Canadian dealers close to Vancouver and they told me Calgary HD was one of their top reps. Price from them was $951 plus tax and shipping to Vancouver. A guy on a local bagger blog told me to try Konquer Motorcycles (used to be Kreator), an indy in Kelowna, and they set me up for $631, tax in and free shipping.

Guess who will never be going to Calgary HD even if I throw a rod while driving past their front door.
Not sure if you're tracking but if you are close to the border you could set up an American Address thru Kinek "My American Address". You can order parts from the US and have them shipped to a Kinek address close to the Border Crossing. Then just drive down and pick up your parts. Most of them allow you to remove packaging right in the office, than cross the border and say you bought used parts in the US, viola, no tax/duty charges and most US stores have free shipping. I have used Kinek for the past two years and love it. Hope this helps.

Old 02-20-2017, 09:23 AM
jbrooksca
Cruiser
Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

"Not sure if you're tracking but if you are close to the border you could set up an American Address thru Kinek "My American Address". You can order parts from the US and have them shipped to a Kinek address close to the Border Crossing. Then just drive down and pick up your parts. Most of them allow you to remove packaging right in the office, than cross the border and say you bought used parts in the US, viola, no tax/duty charges and most US stores have free shipping. I have used Kinek for the past two years and love it. Hope this helps."

I had this all set up. I had my parts ordered and when I went to pay using a credit card was told , "sorry that is a Canadian credit card, we can't sell to you."
Just my experience, but you have nothing to lose by trying.
Also with the current exchange rate, you have to be getting a awful good American price.

Jerry

Old 02-20-2017, 09:42 AM
BrokenAnchor
Road Captain

Originally Posted by jbrooksca
"Not sure if you're tracking but if you are close to the border you could set up an American Address thru Kinek "My American Address". You can order parts from the US and have them shipped to a Kinek address close to the Border Crossing. Then just drive down and pick up your parts. Most of them allow you to remove packaging right in the office, than cross the border and say you bought used parts in the US, viola, no tax/duty charges and most US stores have free shipping. I have used Kinek for the past two years and love it. Hope this helps."

I had this all set up. I had my parts ordered and when I went to pay using a credit card was told , "sorry that is a Canadian credit card, we can't sell to you."
Just my experience, but you have nothing to lose by trying.
Also with the current exchange rate, you have to be getting a awful good American price.

Jerry
I tend to like HD products and even with the exchange rate I'm still saving a lot. I know there are some US stores that do not accept CDN CC, however, there are a lot that do. Not sure if you have tried Revzilla, JP Cycles or Motorcycle-Superstor but they all have great products, their prices are competitive and they will accept CDN credit cards. I have purchased everything from Bagger Nation Apes and wire extensions to tires, to footboards, grips and levers, and I can tell you that I have saved over $2000.00 by going that route, even with the exchange rate as it is.

My CDN HD parts dept quoted me over $1500.00 plus tax for my Apes, wire extensions and polyurethane riser bushings. I got all of them for $939.00 CAD after the exchange rate and didn't pay duty on anything. I also bought Defiance Grips, Footboards, and brake pedal pad, Edge Cut levers, and the 2017 touring service manual. HD Canada wanted $1200 plus tax, I got them for $905.00 CAD, again no duty or tax. I bought Avon front and rear tire and pretty much got the front tire for free.

What I'm saying is that there are deals to be had that can save you hundreds, to thousands of dollars depending on how much upgrades/customizing you want to do to your bike. I do all my installs myself so I save thousands in labour charges as well. For me it's a hobby, my wife thinks it more as an obsession. Shop around, compare prices and negotiate with your local parts guy when you can. If my dealer has any specials where it is 20%-25% off parts, than I normally just buy from them and break about even compared to US prices. Hope this helps.

Quick Reply: Good or Bad exp at CANADIAN HD shops