Canada BC | Alberta | Saskatchewan | Manitoba Ontario | Quebec | Maritime Provinces

North to Alaska

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2014, 08:45 PM
fatnlow
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default North to Alaska

Hey everyone, I am going to head up the Alaska Highway this spring to Fairbanks Alaska. Leaving from Kamloops B.C. early June (my schedual is flexible) rough plan is to take 2-3 weeks to go up and back. I know the road well as I worked up on the highway north of Ft. Nelson for 6 years. So I figure from Kamloops head to Mt. Robson just to see it again and then make my way to Dawson Creek and from there all the way on the Alaska Highway. Take minimal camping gear (tent and sleeping bag), so plan to mostly motel it or highway lodges but no problem camping out as well. I can ride 200km a day or 800 whatever happens....happens. This trip if you havent done it is one of the most scenic roads you can imagine, it is for sure about the journey and not the destination so when I say Fairbanks thats just to give an idea of how far I'd like to go. If I end up in Anchorage or somewhere else then so be it.

This is for sure a go as I already got the time off work. I'm just curious if anyone wants to come along?

Message here or drop me a PM, like I said my schedual is flexible by a week here or there. not interested in traveling with a complete yahoo... just nice to have another bike there in case of an issue. Quite a bit of the highway still has no cell coverage and early June the traffic will be minimal. might be a good idea to meet before riding 7000km together.

I'll be taking a nearly new 2013 fatboy

Cheers

Old 05-03-2014, 12:01 PM
cariboojohn
6th Gear

It`s about journey- not the destination I like that......
What do you think the costs, are for lodges and out of town food .would be.?
I`am thinking about $1500 a week
Just curious on this thanks.

Old 05-03-2014, 07:50 PM
fatnlow
Intermediate

after searching hotels online looks like prices will average $150.00 so the most expensive it shouel be for room is $1050/week if no camping at all. some of those hotels include breakfast and some dont. food and fuel should take that up to a close guestimate of $1500/week. of course adding in the ridiculous cost of Harley t-shirts along the way could easily push that to 2000/week ;-)

have done some thinking on the route.
kamloops to mt. robson then on to jasper and north through hinton to GP and finally dawson creek. alaska highway all the way to fairbanks. then south past Denali national park to spot Mt. Mckinley and through to anchorage. then east back to the alaska highway down to watson lake. turn south on HWY37 stewart/cassiar and all the way to Prince George and then back to kamloop. google earth shows that route at 7200km. will be cool to see the highest peak in canadian rockies and then the highest peak in north america in the one trip.

Last edited by fatnlow; 05-03-2014 at 07:51 PM. Reason: correction
Old 05-03-2014, 08:04 PM
fatnlow
Intermediate

some links if anyone wants to check out accomodation and road conditions from last year

accomodation
http://www.liardhotspringslodge.com/
http://www.northernrockieslodge.com/
http://www.mckinleycabins.com/

a car road trip with good photos of road conditions from summer 2013
http://explorenorth.com/wordpress/dr...to-whitehorse/

Old 05-29-2014, 09:24 AM
fatnlow
Intermediate

Well the day to head up north is getting near. I'm in the okanagan and this rainy weather isn't how I want to start the trip but if I have to I have to. Just waiting on new windshield from dealer, it came in Chrome and so it's at the powder coaters getting blacked out hardware, hopefully see it tomorrow. Figure I'll head out about this time next week. I have been testing out the tent/pad/sleeping bag roll I made up and how it will sit on the bike. Picked up a new bag to strap to sissy bar and sit on the back seat as a backrest for me. Bike is fully serviced. I'm feeling ready to go.

Old 06-06-2014, 07:33 PM
JACKO1
Cruiser

Good luck on your trip fatnlow,post some of your highlights on here please.

Old 09-01-2014, 06:30 PM
JACKO1
Cruiser

Originally Posted by JACKO1
Good luck on your trip fatnlow,post some of your highlights on here please.
Did you make the trip ?