Carburetor Related Find discussions on carburetor related goodies here. Swap and trades? Rebuild information and tuning for the pre EFI systems.

Leaking Carb?

Old 01-23-2015, 04:22 PM
Bighec
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Leaking Carb?

Bike is a 98 Softail with stock Carb. Is this moisture normal? Smells like fuel. Would I need to
Rebuild the whole carb or could I get away with doing much less? Thank you.

Old 01-23-2015, 04:34 PM
nhrider1
Road Warrior
Received 53 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Bighec

Bike is a 98 Softail with stock Carb. Is this moisture normal? Smells like fuel. Would I need to
Rebuild the whole carb or could I get away with doing much less? Thank you.
Most likely just a gasket problem. I can't tell if it's leaking from the accelerator pump or the base gasket. It looks like the base gasket, but you may need an accelerator pump o-ring too.

Old 01-23-2015, 04:47 PM
Bighec
Cruiser

I think its coming from above the pump. That would be the base gasket?

Old 01-23-2015, 08:26 PM
Am4wag
Tourer
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Bowl gasket.Many Indy shops carry them,but if by chance you remove the acc.pump,get the 2 O-rings from dealer (they're square/lathe cut).

Old 02-15-2015, 03:07 PM
GibT
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I took mine off a few months ago, cleaned it and changed all the gaskets since it was apart. Was pretty easy. 2000 TC with the CV carb.

Old 03-26-2015, 09:00 PM
OneHarleyAtATime
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

well its on the side cant tell where it coming from but when that accelerator pump goes bad it will leak up threw where that black boot is on the side and come out when you turn the throttle.

remove the float bowl last...... start by just turning the throttle to open and see is its coming out that black boot if it is its the accelerator pump diaphragm is bad if not them its the float bowl btw make sure you have the fuel turned on to refill the float bowl

Old 03-27-2015, 01:35 AM
John_K
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If it's leaking from the pump boot then you need to replace the accelerator pump diaphragm. Three small screws... don't lose the spring or O-rings once you pull the small cover off.

Old 04-21-2017, 04:23 PM
Bighec
Cruiser

So my bike went to the dealer. I told them the thing is leaking fuel. They did something..... one year later it's leaking worse than it was before. I had been on the fence about just buying an S&S carb for the scoot. If I redo the carb I am going to do it myself. Soooo.... with that being said.... rebuild or replace? Opinions?

Old 04-23-2017, 11:37 AM
skinman13
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 234 Likes on 169 Posts

Just from looking at your photos, I would think that either your accelerator pump diaphragm is seeping or the bowl gasket is compromised from corrosion.

Don't muck around trying to "fix" this kind of minor issue, just get an OEM carb rebuild kit for your bike and spend a couple of loving hours cleaning and reassembling your carb with the new parts...and learn from the experience.

Or pay someone $150/hour to do it for you.

Old 04-23-2017, 05:25 PM
Bighec
Cruiser

Originally Posted by skinman13
Just from looking at your photos, I would think that either your accelerator pump diaphragm is seeping or the bowl gasket is compromised from corrosion.

Don't muck around trying to "fix" this kind of minor issue, just get an OEM carb rebuild kit for your bike and spend a couple of loving hours cleaning and reassembling your carb with the new parts...and learn from the experience.

Or pay someone $150/hour to do it for you.
I went the $55 an hour route the first time this happened at my local Harley dealer and they supposedly fixed it. Now it's leaking significantly worse than before and in a perfect world I'd just throw on an S&S carb and forget the 1998 CV carb. I'm gonna look it over real closely to see if they cracked anything when they put it back together. It's gots a steady drip now.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Leaking Carb?