Carburetor Related Find discussions on carburetor related goodies here. Swap and trades? Rebuild information and tuning for the pre EFI systems.

Sportster round air cleaner

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2015, 01:50 PM
jjoy8956
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sportster round air cleaner

Hi out there I have a problem with aftermarket air cleaner. I bought a DK K&N round air cleaner to replace my stock unit. After I installed it I got a oil leak at the bottom of the pushrod cover. I took it off and the oil leak stopped. This is actually the second round unit I have tried with the same results. The only difference I can see is that on the stock unit the breather bolts are on the inside of the air cleaner unit and possibly the carb is actually sucking air through them, on the round unit the breather bolts are on the out side and not affected by any possible air draw. Just wanting to know if anyone has run into the same issue? I really want to use the round unit not only for looks but it does not stick out nearly as far as the stock unit
Thanks
Jeff

Old 03-30-2015, 09:31 AM
heybaylor
Stellar HDF Member
Received 127 Likes on 72 Posts

do you have hose running from the breather bolts?
where is it routed ?

Old 03-30-2015, 03:33 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,940 Likes on 2,295 Posts

Originally Posted by jjoy8956
Hi out there I have a problem with aftermarket air cleaner. I bought a DK K&N round air cleaner to replace my stock unit. After I installed it I got a oil leak at the bottom of the pushrod cover. I took it off and the oil leak stopped. This is actually the second round unit I have tried with the same results. The only difference I can see is that on the stock unit the breather bolts are on the inside of the air cleaner unit and possibly the carb is actually sucking air through them, on the round unit the breather bolts are on the out side and not affected by any possible air draw. Just wanting to know if anyone has run into the same issue? I really want to use the round unit not only for looks but it does not stick out nearly as far as the stock unit
Thanks
Jeff
You can email or call us and we can help you out.

Did you get just the Air Cleaner, or did you get the Air Cleaner System?

If you are using the system, which comes with a breather kit, then there should be no issues. But if you got just the air cleaner and put some sort of solid bolt into the heads, you are going to keep spring leaks from a build up of crank case pressure.

There is nothing about the Air Cleaner that will have an effect on a leak at the pushrod cover. But it is very important to have a breather system for the crankcase pressure, or the next leak may not be so easy to repair.

Please contact us.

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com