Carburetor Related Find discussions on carburetor related goodies here. Swap and trades? Rebuild information and tuning for the pre EFI systems.

80" Evo with open pipes, jet question.

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2015, 07:25 AM
Bradley Jones
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by kp877
Have you ever checked your timing or your VOES? Checked enricher to make sure it's closing all the way?
I wasn't sure how to test the voes switch. I replaced the vacuum lines as well as the manifold gaskets when I was in there. Propane test says no leaks. I was gonna splurge and just replace the voes switch but none were in stock at any local dealer. Haven't checked the timing either. Enricher is closed. Actually the bike started very easy but I put it on anyway out of habit. Once started I turned it off or all the way in.

Last edited by Bradley Jones; 04-17-2015 at 07:32 AM.
Old 04-17-2015, 08:41 AM
br549A1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

You have to check VOES with an ohm meter. Short answer of it is you connect the leads to the two terminals and make sure you get a 0 when vacuum applied. I can help you more if needed. You can check this at the ignition harness too.

Old 04-17-2015, 10:28 AM
Bradley Jones
Outstanding HDF Member

You have to check VOES with an ohm meter. Short answer of it is you connect the leads to the two terminals and make sure you get a 0 when vacuum applied. I can help you more if needed. You can check this at the ignition harness too.
Honestly you'd have to tell me where to check and how then what I'm supposed to be looking for haha. I never had a hands on with a multi meter. I usually have my bro in law do it for me but even then I have to research what to do cause he's not into motors he's just tech savy. Maybe I can find a how to online. I'm not sure how to test it under vacuum.... does this mean when running?

Old 04-17-2015, 10:33 AM
Bradley Jones
Outstanding HDF Member

I'm seeing some info on how to test it. I'll have to sit.down and read the full article when I have time.

Old 04-17-2015, 11:19 AM
br549A1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Bradley Jones
I'm seeing some info on how to test it. I'll have to sit.down and read the full article when I have time.
I can make it very easy for you and I just sent you a PM with a link.

If you know where you factory harness is connect one lead of the ohm meter tester to the purple violet wire. I have an 8 pin and its pin 6. You'll have to look at yours. Connect the other lead to ground or pin 7. Then you need to pull a vacuum and you can do this with your mouth and a hose only if you can get to and reach the vacuum line that goes to your carb. If you can't just start it up and watch the meter. It will turn on and off as you rev it and let it drop to idle watch if it goes to zero. If it goes to a number that is over 1 it's no good and it's closing all the way. This is my wire harness yours may not may not be the same If you see it going from no reading to 0 and back that is the switch working. All you're looking for is the 0. If you don't understand let me know and I'll assist

Attached Thumbnails 80" Evo with open pipes, jet question.-image-28586594.jpg  

Last edited by br549A1; 04-17-2015 at 11:27 AM.
Old 04-19-2015, 01:21 PM
Bradley Jones
Outstanding HDF Member

I can make it very easy for you and I just sent you a PM with a link.

If you know where you factory harness is connect one lead of the ohm meter tester to the purple violet wire. I have an 8 pin and its pin 6. You'll have to look at yours. Connect the other lead to ground or pin 7. Then you need to pull a vacuum and you can do this with your mouth and a hose only if you can get to and reach the vacuum line that goes to your carb. If you can't just start it up and watch the meter. It will turn on and off as you rev it and let it drop to idle watch if it goes to zero. If it goes to a number that is over 1 it's no good and it's closing all the way. This is my wire harness yours may not may not be the same If you see it going from no reading to 0 and back that is the switch working. All you're looking for is the 0. If you don't understand let me know and I'll assist
Thanks for the help. Been too busy this weekend to even get to it. 1 night this week.

Old 04-22-2015, 05:08 PM
Bradley Jones
Outstanding HDF Member

Updated the first post