Carburetor Related Find discussions on carburetor related goodies here. Swap and trades? Rebuild information and tuning for the pre EFI systems.

1996 evo heritage jetting help details inside

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2015, 08:04 PM
Bradley Jones
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 1996 evo heritage jetting help details inside

Like stated, 96 evo 80 inch stock motor, dynojet jet kit, really short pipes with torque cones and big sucker cleaner. Had it tuned and it ran good but guzzled gas. Recently it stopped running good. I think it had an intake manifold leak when it got tuned so I didn't notice the leak and now it got worst so it runs shitty. Replaced the gaskets and leak is gone. Left the carb alone but then it started blowing flames with the Jets the dealer tuned it with. It was definitely jetted too rich or tuned with the manifold leak. To get it to run again I put in a 44 pilot jet and a 170 main. This made it run but it popped a lot. Lowered the clip by 1 slot or raised the needle by one slot as the trouble shooting part of the directions said to. Now it runs mint!!!!...... well almost. It really runs good now and I get another 45 miles plus to the tank of gas BUT it only runs good till I go to get on it and then it hits a dead spot where the acceleration is really slow. This bike is just my around the town bike and it's all chopped out so I go slow most the time anyway but if it's possible to have some extra power back I'm willing to make some changes. I probably got 500 miles on this jet setup and it really does run awesom, running new plugs too for these 500 or so miles and they look perfect. What should I do to get my pep back?

Recap on the current jet settings

44 pilot
170 main
Needle raised up one spot or clip lowered one spot.
This is how I got it to run without popping. Sorry I'm new to carbs and this is as far as I got haha. Thanks in advance guys!!!!

Bradley J.

Last edited by Bradley Jones; 06-08-2015 at 08:06 PM.
Old 06-10-2015, 04:40 PM
Yankee Dog
Stellar HDF Member

Received 1,729 Likes on 927 Posts

Personally I would get rid of any remnants of the dynojet stuff. I think they used a different emulsion tube and the jet numbering system they use is different. It may be the same numbers, but different actual sizes of the holes. I assume your intake leak issue is resolved.

You could go 45 pilot and 175 or 180 main. I run 45 pilot and 175 main and my bike is stock as well. It runs great.

Check out CV performance at: http://www.cv-performance.com/

If you have not done it, get your carb back to "normal" using the 45 and 175 or 180 with the cvp or stock emulsion tube. I think the dyno jet only has like 2 holes in the emulsion tube, while stock and cvp have many more...Also your piston/vacuum slide air bleed hole was probably drilled to a larger diameter, and if it is larger than 1/8, you can plug it with jb weld and re-drill, or plug it with jb weld and re-drill at another location. Stock should be 7/64.

Also check your accelerator pump. Make sure it squirts a steady stream. If your flat on acceleration, this might be the issue. Double check that your getting adequate fuel flow and your in the tank screen is not gunked up.

Spend a little time on that website, it will give you an education and is a great source for parts. I also like their CVP velocity needle for the big twin (not the n65). It gives me nice acceleration without being too greedy in fuel (about 38 to 40 mpg average with a large windscreen and spirited driving). YD

Old 06-10-2015, 07:18 PM
Bradley Jones
Outstanding HDF Member

Lots of good stuff on the cvp website. I actually got a lot of stuff thru them. I couldn't answer my question with the info they have on their site however. I guess what I'm saying is... since it runs fine just crappy acceleration from mid to higher rpm, what should I tweak? Is the needle what controls this, idle jet or main jet. I honestly hate carbs haha. I never understood them like tire sizes..... but once I learned how to properly grasp tire sizes and what not it's a breeze now. I'm trying to get carb tuning under my belt so I don't have to pay a dealer to hack it and tell me it's fine any more.

Old 06-21-2015, 01:36 PM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 8,494 Likes on 4,611 Posts

The problem may be "Really short pipes".

Old 06-23-2015, 04:14 PM
Bradley Jones
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Dan89FLSTC
The problem may be "Really short pipes".
I played around and kept going up main jet sizes till it ran right. It's good to go now but I haven't measured my mpg's

Old 06-24-2015, 11:38 AM
Yankee Dog
Stellar HDF Member

Received 1,729 Likes on 927 Posts

Originally Posted by Bradley Jones
I played around and kept going up main jet sizes till it ran right. It's good to go now but I haven't measured my mpg's
Want to share what sizes of jets you ended up at? If that did not fix it, I was going to suggest accelerator pump. Just watch for signs of being rich (black fluffy soot) or too lean (pinging, speckled porcelian, overly hot engine, etc) YD

Old 06-29-2015, 05:29 AM
Bradley Jones
Outstanding HDF Member

Sorry I haven't been keep up with this lately.

44 pilot
180 main
Clip still lowered @ 1 spot
I still have no idea where the enricher **** is at. One of these days I'll crank it in and count the turns but since it's running good I've been leaving good enough alone. With this setup it runs perfect like before and I have a lot more power at the upper end. I got 160 to the tank (before hitting reserve) I could have gone more but I was near a station and didn't feel like running it empty then switching to reserve. Someday I'll get an accurate reading on mpgs. Highway isn't an issue anymore now that I have the power there but if I feel the need I think I could go up to a 185 or 190 someday and see how that works out. For now I'm very content. Hope my settings help someone else out

Last edited by Bradley Jones; 06-29-2015 at 05:33 AM.