Carburetor Related Find discussions on carburetor related goodies here. Swap and trades? Rebuild information and tuning for the pre EFI systems.

Winter Storage

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2015, 03:42 PM
skinman13
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 234 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by 98hotrodfatboy
Absolutely. You don't live in the north, so don't go there buddy... If I really have to explain it would suck.... just think 0 to -20 degrees???????
You're right on there. I have experienced cold weather short-term but have never lived in it for any length of time. I have always lived in the warmer southern climes and do not foresee a relocation in a northern direction in the future.

And, you're also right that it would suck for you to have to explain it all. Believe it or not, I have driven the turnip truck around the block a few times so I think I can fill in the blank parts pretty much so good on my own. I am pretty sure that living in the frigid conditions you are describing for weeks on end has its own unique challenges and I did not mean to trivialize the situation, only challenge y'all to think out of the box.

Now, what would I do if it were me suddenly stuck living in Freezeurassoff, USA, for months? I would probably go out every few days or so and fire my Harley up and listen to it rumble and purr awhile, sipping my beer, and wishing I could get on it and ride somewhere. Of course, I am a naive southerner who is used to riding all year and who has no experience in winterizing nor needing to do so, like you pointed out.

Listen to those folks who live where you need to winterize. They know what to do and how to do it.

Old 11-26-2015, 06:08 AM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,810 Likes on 3,315 Posts

That;s why they make snowmobiles...LOL...

Old 11-26-2015, 08:50 AM
Knutson Boltz
Banned
Received 65 Likes on 45 Posts

Here in the mountains of east Tennessee it gets pretty darn cold. All I do is put some stabil in the tank and run it a short time to get it into the entire fuel system. I do not fill the tank nor do I change the oil. I change the oil before the first ride in the spring. I run Amzoil 100% in my bike and I see no need to spend 70 bux on oil and filter and let it set in the motor all winter. Once oil has been opened and introduced to the engine it WILL begin to break down because there are still carbon and fuel and moisture collection occuring after a short run thru to circulate the new oil. Come spring I drain any old fuel from the tank and fill with fresh 93 gas, not ethanol, and change all fluids and filter I also keep the bike on a battery tender all winter, she stays covered up and indoors in my garage, and fires up and runs and rides like winter never happened.

Oh, I do go to the garage occasionally throughout the cold months and wipe her down, maybe polish the chrome and aluminum just to let her know I haven't forgot about her.....she makes women jealous..., I tell my lady I love her more than my Harley, ALMOST. Talk about a fit.......what fun though. What po's my wife is she knows I'm fking with her but she can't let it pass, he he, talk about your intolerance!

Last edited by Knutson Boltz; 11-26-2015 at 09:07 AM.
Old 11-26-2015, 04:00 PM
Sticks24
Road Warrior
Received 380 Likes on 191 Posts

Originally Posted by Knutson Boltz
Here in the mountains of east Tennessee it gets pretty darn cold. All I do is put some stabil in the tank and run it a short time to get it into the entire fuel system. I do not fill the tank nor do I change the oil. I change the oil before the first ride in the spring. I run Amzoil 100% in my bike and I see no need to spend 70 bux on oil and filter and let it set in the motor all winter. Once oil has been opened and introduced to the engine it WILL begin to break down because there are still carbon and fuel and moisture collection occuring after a short run thru to circulate the new oil. Come spring I drain any old fuel from the tank and fill with fresh 93 gas, not ethanol, and change all fluids and filter I also keep the bike on a battery tender all winter, she stays covered up and indoors in my garage, and fires up and runs and rides like winter never happened.

Oh, I do go to the garage occasionally throughout the cold months and wipe her down, maybe polish the chrome and aluminum just to let her know I haven't forgot about her.....she makes women jealous..., I tell my lady I love her more than my Harley, ALMOST. Talk about a fit.......what fun though. What po's my wife is she knows I'm fking with her but she can't let it pass, he he, talk about your intolerance!
The only part of your exercise I don't understand is why you would drain the gas, when you have stabilized it. The purpose for filling the tank is to prevent water moisture from rusting the inside of the tank.