Carburetor Related Find discussions on carburetor related goodies here. Swap and trades? Rebuild information and tuning for the pre EFI systems.

OMG It's not the gas but the air

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2016, 11:38 AM
BombshellZ
Intermediate
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default OMG It's not the gas but the air

I've been having terrible trouble with tuning my Super E on my TC88 and I hope that I haven't damaged it by running so lean. How many miles would it take? I've put 2000 + the bike has 3400 now. I've been turning screws back and forth from basic set up all the way till fuel was pouring out exhaust. I read every S&S installation and tuning instruction sheet and constantly searching forums for advice. I FOUND MY MISTAKE! I pray its not too late. Since I just got bike I didn't know which kind of air filter was on the bike, It kinda looked like the K&N and since I thought that was the best, I assumed thats what It had. I also read that the air filter came pre-oiled. Thus, I assumed If I cleaned the filter it would need to be re-oiled. So I bought the oil. Been having trouble ever since. I assumed it was because I touched the screws. I finally found In one of the instruction sheets from S&S, never use an oiled filter. EUREKA!!! In reading it makes total sense regarding the air mix. My brain was on the fuel, more, less, jet numbers, rpms and so on. It's the %$##^ AIR. I can't wait to go clean my filter and see how it runs. Wish me luck boys and girls. Thank you for all your imput and advice.

Two men stare through prison bars, one looks at the mud and one looks at the starts. The power of choice is amazing. Choose what feels good.:

Old 08-26-2016, 11:42 AM
golfblues
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,434 Likes on 874 Posts

Oil on the filter would let less air through it making it run richer.

Old 08-26-2016, 12:05 PM
BombshellZ
Intermediate
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Not necessarily, When an engine is over-carburated, air velocity through the venturis is reduced and the venturi/ booster combination cannot pull enough fuel to support the engine. A lean condition ensues and the engine falters due to lack of fuel. This condi*tion cannot be corrected by install*ing larger jets because the engine will run too rich at higher engine speeds when air velocity finally catches up. You can never balance mixture deliv*ery across the full operating range of the engine and performance suffers across the board. This makes sense to me and although we are not talking about jets per se we are still talking rich/lean conditions. So the lack of air flow doesn't mean it would pull more fuel.

Last edited by BombshellZ; 08-26-2016 at 12:09 PM. Reason: more to add
Old 09-01-2016, 04:21 PM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,792 Likes on 3,303 Posts

I doubt the 88"er is over carbed with that E. Whats in the motor build and what jets are you running? That E should be perfect for the 88". And yes velocity has a lot to do with it...

Nice bike in the Sig, is that the one your talkin about?