Carburetor Related Find discussions on carburetor related goodies here. Swap and trades? Rebuild information and tuning for the pre EFI systems.

Hesitation on my 03 heritage

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2016, 12:50 AM
Mattrc88
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hesitation on my 03 heritage

Ok guys I'm new to the forum and just bought my firest harley and not sure where to start....I have an 03 heritage I bought about 4 months ago the bike runs great but on take off more in 2nd and third gear if I roll the throttle to quick it's like the power curve hits a wall almost like it's hitting Rev limit but it's only half throttle if I let out and roll again it picks up not sure if it's a jetting issue or what just to give an idea it's running harley high flow air filter and vance and hines longshot no baffels and the guy I bought the bike from says carbs have never been jetted so my best guess is it still running factory jets harley says put baffels back in I tried that it didn't really change any and I lost all my sound just wondering if anyone on here might give me an I deal to start with also harley said try AR torque cones just wonder has anyone had any experience with those any input will be greatly appreciated thanks

Old 10-07-2016, 07:17 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,851 Likes on 2,419 Posts

Hi from the UK and welcome to HDF.

You have two basic options I suggest. You can either try to learn how to tune your carb yourself, or find a local indy who can tune it for you. Doing it yourself, if you don't have prior experience, could take a long time and be very frustrating! If you know other Harley owners, ask around for recommendations and get it done by an expert. All being well an hour or so of work and possibly a few carb parts will transform your bike!

Old 10-07-2016, 12:22 PM
Mattrc88
Stage III

I have some experience with carbs on metric bikes I've rebuilt and re jet them but nothing with a harley so I'm somewhat reluctant to try it myself thinking about just having the dealer jet and tune the carb just wondering if getting the torque cones will be needed

Old 10-08-2016, 05:28 PM
Ed Ramberger
Stellar HDF Member
Received 887 Likes on 621 Posts

Are you trying to accelerate in a high gear at too low of an RPM? Did the PO say it did that? What happens if you keep the enricher engaged?

Old 10-08-2016, 06:08 PM
Mattrc88
Stage III

Originally Posted by Ed Ramberger
Are you trying to accelerate in a high gear at too low of an RPM? Did the PO say it did that? What happens if you keep the enricher engaged?
the previous owner said that if I roll the throttle to quick it will do that it does it mostly in 2nd and third gear and doesn't lag until I get about half throttle it's hard to describe but you can feel the bike take off and then it's like it hits a rev limit but again I'm only between a quarter and half throttle when it starts and if I try to roll throttle through it it backfires

Old 10-09-2016, 06:58 PM
Ed Ramberger
Stellar HDF Member

Sounds like a jetting issue but you really should have baffles in the pipes - that makes jetting really difficul and usually doesn't perform optimally at low rpms

Old 10-09-2016, 07:18 PM
81rat
Road Warrior
Received 438 Likes on 270 Posts

grbfown is correct , get it jetted -- when ever pipes air filter is upgraded any time air flow or exhaust is changed jetting is required --a must so pick the best air filter that you can get - jet the carb and stay with that same air filter

Old 10-09-2016, 07:22 PM
Blues2
Advanced
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I have an 03 FLSTC carbureted, with VH long shots and a SE air cleaner in my stable. It's been awhile but there's parts and settings for idle, mid and wide open throttle. Yours is most certainly off at one or all 3 phases with the parts listed and stock carb settings and jetting. No baffles doesn't allow backpressure and reduces output even further.

Old 10-09-2016, 07:43 PM
Ed Ramberger
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by Blues2
I have an 03 FLSTC carbureted, with VH long shots and a SE air cleaner in my stable. It's been awhile but there's parts and settings for idle, mid and wide open throttle. Yours is most certainly off at one or all 3 phases with the parts listed and stock carb settings and jetting. No baffles doesn't allow backpressure and reduces output even further.
Blues - it's really not backpressure. It's that it doesn't promote good flow at low RPM. Then at higher RPM, the flow picks up. The restriction actually helps the exhaust flow which in turn scavenges the cylinder better promoting a full intake charge.

Old 10-09-2016, 10:16 PM
Blues2
Advanced
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Agreed, jetting and tuning his air fuel ratio is his primary issue. We share the same bikes and set up parts except mine has VH baffles and was tuned. I went out to my garage to dig this up, 2005:
65.70 HP
72.99 TQ
Close to 14 air:fuel, little lean after 3.5 to end

Not a 103 (really enjoy that), but feels strong for a heavy HD.

The straight pipes cause less backpressure that exacerbates his issues under his current set up, more flow (air) with the same factory jetting amplifying a lean condition. Backpressure + or - just moves power increase from lower to upper RPM range with tuning. From low-mid to mid-high yes?

Last edited by Blues2; 10-09-2016 at 10:25 PM.

Quick Reply: Hesitation on my 03 heritage