Carburetor Related Find discussions on carburetor related goodies here. Swap and trades? Rebuild information and tuning for the pre EFI systems.

Acceleration stutter CV twin cam

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2016, 01:30 AM
ianryd
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Acceleration stutter CV twin cam

I'm having issues with acceleration-mostly at low rpms (in all gears), or when I need a sudden burst of speed, the engine sputters as if it's not getting enough fuel. Doesn't seem to make a difference if it's hot or cold.
I have a 2000 Softail with an 88" twin cam and CV carb. Python exhaust, and I believe the previous owner had the carb re jetted (I think its got a 45 and a 195). It ran beautifully until a few weeks ago. I had to switch to my reserve tank, and I didn't have a filter on at the time and I think some crud got into my carb. That's when my trouble began.
I took the bowl off and cleaned all the passages and blew air through everything I could get to. Checked the accelerator pump diaphrgam and put it back together. Drained the tank and cleaned the petcock and installed a filter. Still sputtered. So I got a rebuild kit and went through the whole carb. Replaced the intake seals too. I did add a washer to my needle too. Put it back on today and I still have the same problem.
I haven't been able to really put it through it's paces since it's raining here, but I'm looking for suggestions on where to look next. All my buddies ride shovelheads and they told me just to get a super e and be done with it, but they dont really know much about the CV.
Could fuel flow be an issue? How quick does the bowl empty on acceleration?
Could foreign materiel damage my main jet? I tried searching the forums for a similar issue, but couldn't really find anything.

Old 10-19-2016, 02:25 PM
ianryd
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK the weather has cleared up, and I got the bike warmed up. Did a leak test with some brake cleaner at the intake seals. Turns out both jugs are leaking. Im gonna let the bike cool down and re seat them. I've never done this on a motorcycle before, so do you guys have any tips on getting a good seal? Thanks

Old 10-28-2016, 06:10 AM
Zanthamos
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 431 Likes on 360 Posts

First things first, do not tighten the intake manifold screws down without the carb and air cleaner in place first as this will align the intake manifold properly otherwise you will be fighting with the manifold positioning when you put the carb on later. Use the Factory Service Manual.