Carburetor Related Find discussions on carburetor related goodies here. Swap and trades? Rebuild information and tuning for the pre EFI systems.

83 iron head carb black smoke

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2016, 12:36 AM
81rat
Road Warrior
Received 438 Likes on 270 Posts

NO 81rat was NOT thinking of CV carb---what YOU are calling butterfly carb is a Keihin carburetor made by the Japs that were on many years of Ironheads and Shovelheads AND they DO have a washer and O-Ring
It is apparent they are before your time

The following users liked this post:
Erika01085 (11-04-2016)
Old 11-04-2016, 05:00 PM
Erika01085
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Zanthamos
Rat was thinking of the CV carbs used on the '88 to 2006 models, the 83 models had a Butterfly carb stock.
it is a keihin butterfly carb, model b83 i believe. the rebuild kit i have came with a diagram that shows that an o-ring and a washer belong in the mixture screw bore but it does not show the spring that is in there. when i removed the mixture screw there was a spring and an o ring, no washer. i attached some photos of what im trying to discribe ** also the diagram that is in the manual does not list the components that the re-build diagram does, it doesnt even show the mixture screw**

Attached Thumbnails 83 iron head carb black smoke-carb-num.jpg   83 iron head carb black smoke-top-view.jpg   83 iron head carb black smoke-o-ring-in-it.jpg   83 iron head carb black smoke-clear.jpg   83 iron head carb black smoke-o-ring.jpg  

83 iron head carb black smoke-o-ring-2.jpg   83 iron head carb black smoke-diagram.jpg  
Old 11-04-2016, 06:20 PM
81rat
Road Warrior

The diagram is correct as far as the order they just left out the spring , are you missing the washer ??? the O-Ring dose not look correct in your hand
( compare to the 1 in kit ) It appears that someone has had it apart and did a poor job of putting it back together . Just as the diagram shows but the spring goes between the screw head and the washer . missing the washer really did you in , you have to have the washer . Try a local bike repair shop as Keihin carbs are used on many Jap bikes that might use the same washer . Because of that little O-Ring is why so many s&s carbs were bought , you find that washer and you will have a good carb

The following users liked this post:
Erika01085 (11-04-2016)
Old 11-04-2016, 08:01 PM
Erika01085
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 81rat
The diagram is correct as far as the order they just left out the spring , are you missing the washer ??? the O-Ring dose not look correct in your hand
( compare to the 1 in kit ) It appears that someone has had it apart and did a poor job of putting it back together . Just as the diagram shows but the spring goes between the screw head and the washer . missing the washer really did you in , you have to have the washer . Try a local bike repair shop as Keihin carbs are used on many Jap bikes that might use the same washer . Because of that little O-Ring is why so many s&s carbs were bought , you find that washer and you will have a good carb
ok cool ill take a trip to to the harley store tomorrow since the diagram lists the PN hopefully locating it wont be too hard. as for the o ring about 4 different ones came in the kit. how do i know which one is for this? i can tell some one has been in here there where quite a few striped screw/jets and was missing the rubber plug in the pilot jet... dont even get me started on the wiring

Old 11-04-2016, 08:11 PM
Erika01085
Intermediate

just found this handy thing, along with the washer and o-ring on the site too hopefully ill get up and running and this was my problem!!
http://cv-performance.com/ez-just-mi...-harley-keihin

Old 11-04-2016, 08:42 PM
81rat
Road Warrior

The O-Ring should be the smallest 1 in the kit in dia and thickness , match it up to the washer for outside dia and inside dia . H-D had the part # for the washer ????? wow . May I suggest that you soak the bowl in a good carb cleaner (not a spray can) as there is a small hole that feeds the acc. pump that clogs up from ethanol gas . The jet size can very from year to year as EPA had there hands in everything and H-D was having a real bad time then but the jets should be about #160 for the main and # 52 for the slow -- stock !!! but If you change the pipes and air filter assy in any way you must rejet the carb . Don't buy any main jets as you can buy a adjustable main from J&P for $15 (sweet) and a hi-flow acc. pump from them also . What kind of air filter do you have ???

Old 11-04-2016, 08:47 PM
81rat
Road Warrior

That's what you need --great --does that same company have the slow jets for sale ???

Old 11-05-2016, 06:55 AM
Erika01085
Intermediate

That's what you need --great --does that same company have the slow jets for sale ???
yes the do have slow jets too. Right now I Dont know what kind of air cleaner is on it. I know its not stock but there are no markings to indicate what it is here's a pic

it also has the after market drag pipes as you can see but the jets are still stock, I will be changing the pipes because as you can see they interfere with the mid-control set up

Old 11-05-2016, 08:10 AM
81rat
Road Warrior

That air cleaner will work just fine as it will let in lots of air just try to get a K&N filter for it , you can call K&N with measurements to get correct one , they cost a lot but you clean them and will last for ever ( or equivalent ) I can see buy the photo's that your bike is not roadworthy as yet ( That's OK ) for rejeting will take time and a lot of patience and will need to be on the " road testing " you will be surprised of the outcome and so will others . I would start with a #68 and have on hand #72 , #75 , #78 at 6 to 8 bucks a piece you will be skipping some to get to the fine tuning , let me know if or when you are ready to install the adjustable main jet as it no instructions

Old 11-05-2016, 09:27 AM
Erika01085
Intermediate

That air cleaner will work just fine as it will let in lots of air just try to get a K&N filter for it , you can call K&N with measurements to get correct one , they cost a lot but you clean them and will last for ever ( or equivalent ) I can see buy the photo's that your bike is not roadworthy as yet ( That's OK ) for rejeting will take time and a lot of patience and will need to be on the " road testing " you will be surprised of the outcome and so will others . I would start with a #68 and have on hand #72 , #75 , #78 at 6 to 8 bucks a piece you will be skipping some to get to the fine tuning , let me know if or when you are ready to install the adjustable main jet as it no instructions
it should be road worthy soon I am just waiting on the new switch housings so I can run all the new wires before putting the gas tank back on, I have to wait for the spring, washer, and o ring anyways. I will be taking a trip to Florida the 13th-19th so by the time I get back I should have a few packages waiting

Quick Reply: 83 iron head carb black smoke