Carburetor Related Find discussions on carburetor related goodies here. Swap and trades? Rebuild information and tuning for the pre EFI systems.

Fuel spray back into air filter

Old 05-27-2008, 07:02 AM
Doc 1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts
Default RE: Fuel spray back into air filter

ORIGINAL: 2daking

I have a problem with my Mikuni HSR42 spraying fuel back out into the air filter when the throttle is cracked and during acceleration. Any thought on how toi correct?

You did not explain your set up so I'll tell you about mine with the same problem andthe fix. This was on a1997 FLHR Road King (EVO) with a Mikuni HSR 42, Andrews EV-46 cam, Jim’s lifters, etc...PlusPorker slip-on pipes NOT BAFFLED. When riding hard and alwayswhen the air got thinner (high altitudes) I would get gas spray-back into the air filter. This would eventually soak the filter and the filter oil which then would get the right sidecover & saddlebag buggered. This was not anoil blow-by/crankcase breather system problem.

The fix: I baffled the pipes and did a re-tune on the Mikuni. Note: minor adjustment on the main jetting only: Jet Needle, Pilot Jetand Accelerator pump nozzles are stnd.;Main Jet:162.5 The problem went away. I also talked to the Mikuni Rep at a bike show and he confirmed the problem/solution.

I hope this helps but thereare so many "problems"/set-ups so to find your solutiontakes troubleshooting, trial-errorand doing your homework - like reading this forum.Hey, thanks to the folks that started this one!

- Jim

[8D]
First off I welcome you to the HDF Jim.

When you baffled the pipes you stoppedSOME of the reversion through the carb during valve overlap, when you leaned out the carb less fuel was picked up by the pules wave which inturn gave you less STAND OFF, but believe me you didn't stop the pulse waves of an internal combustiuon motor by your fix....you only cut down the reversion frombad pipes and gave it less fuel. If you rode with out an air filter or did a couple of WOT runs on a dyno with outthe air filter you would see, smell, and feelthe plume of gas hovering out side the carb.....every internal combustion does this to a point....Harley just does it best....lol

The following users liked this post:
Iron Chief (04-02-2024)
Old 11-02-2008, 08:08 PM
motorbiker40@hotmail.com
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default spray back

I also had the fuel spray back into the air fliter and I had a one foot flame shooting next to my leg.this is on an 08 screamin eagle soft tail springer.I took the bike to the dealer in trenton n.j. and they told me that their was nothing wrong and they told me that this was caused by the rider, can you imagin that rider error.I took the bike to east coast choppers and had the bike dinoed. it showed only 77 hp so they installed a power comander and and changed the pipes and came up with 113.32 hp and the bike runs great and no thanks to harley davidson.

Old 03-12-2009, 10:31 AM
cts1950
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I saw this on another forum but it is a good visual of what this thread is about
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m27xXVgg1nc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tisZdCw7vd4

Last edited by cts1950; 03-12-2009 at 03:42 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Iron Chief (04-02-2024)
Old 03-13-2009, 05:35 PM
motorbiker40@hotmail.com
6th Gear

Originally Posted by geads
I have a problem with my Mikuni HSR42 spraying fuel back out into the air filter when the throttle is cracked and during acceleration. Any thought on how toi correct?
ya i had the same problem with my 08 screamin eagle softtail with 110 cubic inch motor but a one foot flame would shoot out the air filter. and harley davidson said that their is nothing wrong. {trenton world *** harley in n.j. I had taken the bike to east coast choppers in tuckerton n.j. the man ray but my bike on a dyno test it showed only 77 hps. so ray installed a power commander2 and messed with the timming and a new set of pipes and came out with 113 hps. no more harley s lame excuse because they could not fix a bicycle

Old 04-09-2009, 07:22 PM
1995sportster1200
Stage IV

another fix that i have heard about is to run sunoco premium fuel through the engine for a few hundred miles. what happens is that the valves will build up with carbon and not seat properly which also causes a compression loss. with the calves not seating all the way you will have a spray back of fuel everytime the piston is on a compression or exhaust stroke. because the piston is going up in the cylinder some compression will be lost and air will be pushed out of the intake valve and back out of the carburetor thus soaking the air filter with gas. i hope this helps

Old 05-14-2009, 10:18 AM
d_slat
Road Warrior
Received 597 Likes on 306 Posts

Originally Posted by cts1950
I saw this on another forum but it is a good visual of what this thread is about
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m27xXVgg1nc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tisZdCw7vd4
holy cow, the amount of fuel that runs out the end of the carb while the sportster is decelerating is amazing. Who knew?

Last edited by d_slat; 05-22-2009 at 11:03 AM.
Old 05-21-2009, 09:32 PM
jutz3077
Stage III

just bought an o2 xl1200c has k&n air filter screaming eagle 2 pipes and i think stock carb. The problem is that during acceleration while riding and sitting in neutral the carb is spitting alot and bike tries to dye out. anyone with any suggestions or help to get it to run better

Old 05-22-2009, 11:01 AM
d_slat
Road Warrior
Received 597 Likes on 306 Posts

Originally Posted by jutz3077
just bought an o2 xl1200c has k&n air filter screaming eagle 2 pipes and i think stock carb. The problem is that during acceleration while riding and sitting in neutral the carb is spitting alot and bike tries to dye out. anyone with any suggestions or help to get it to run better
my suggestion would be to search the forum for ideas using the search function, and if you find nothing start your own thread, you will get much more attention that way.

Old 08-09-2009, 11:02 AM
5th Gear

Thanks for the info Doc, I was also wondering why this happens. I have an HSR 42 carb as well and have noticed this exact phenomenon. I took the bike for a SHORT ride one day without the air filter assembly on and noticed a light misting of fuel being sprayed all over my leg.

Old 08-29-2009, 07:25 AM
Frankie
6th Gear

how do you change the spark plug wires on an 08 road king/

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Fuel spray back into air filter