Carburetor Related Find discussions on carburetor related goodies here. Swap and trades? Rebuild information and tuning for the pre EFI systems.

Fuel spray back into air filter

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2012, 05:11 PM
Timi
Novice
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Put this in your thought process,
the intake wave pulses are 99% the culprit! unless you have the carb on backwards??!! It could happen (lol)
Here's your delima. Its a carb. F/I you'll never see that because the injectors are almost on top of the valves, well ad much as poss anyway. But air itself will move in and out of the throat as a result of reversion. bigger cams, bigger reversion, as a larger cam (read more duration) opens and closes in relation to the piston traveling up and down respectively. AIR MOVES. Engines are air pumps with fuel thrown in to keep things interesting! The only thing you can do to counteract this is put a restrictive air filter on. That will slow things down enough to create a vacuum IN FRONT of the carb and prevent the misting.
Think of an exhaust muffler, It does the same thing. (as well as dampen sound) interoduces back pressure to keep (in this discussion of theory anyway) backfiring by adding a restriction to the airflow.
So in essence, alot is going on here, check out this book from super smart people (read engineers) who made this theory a science.
"SCIENTIFIC DESIGN OF EXHAUST &INTAKE SYSTEMS" Third edition by Philip H. Smith and John C. Morrison
IT WILL EXPLAIN EVERYTHING!!!!

The following users liked this post:
Yankee Dog (04-03-2024)
Old 01-20-2013, 01:55 PM
LeonidasIssopoulos
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I also experience lots of spitting from my beauty. I baught it a couple of months ago and it wears drag pipes and an open air filter. I placed some home made lollipops with some improvement in performance but none in spitting. My next thought is to buy a Vance Hines straight shots to correct them all. I wonder if the cones I read earlier could help.

Old 01-18-2017, 10:23 PM
u2nmg93
Novice

Just my two cents, something I ran into with a similar problem on an 90 something (maybe sportster) I was working on. The petcock (fuel shutoff switch) has a vacuum diaphragm that is usually rubber and a vacuum line will run from it to the carb intake side to provide fuel only when the engine is running. The bike was running extremely rich and had gas running out of the air filter. Turns out the diaphragm had several holes in it and it was sucking gas through the vacuum lines. Simple fix that took several hours and a lot of head scratching to figure out. Hope it helps! I replaced it with a non-vacuum petcock and capped the vacuum port on the carb, not as safe but it fixed the problem. You can usually get a new diaphragm to replace it if you want to keep the original.

Old 08-13-2017, 06:48 PM
rydahog
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i know this is was older post,but i have a 01 carb dwg,,and the issue as you described wound up being intake vacumm leak...getting new seals,,and also carb seal...should be the end of spitting back and not being able to get idle to be correct.//

Old 10-09-2017, 02:15 PM
bustert
Grand HDF Member
Received 714 Likes on 625 Posts

ever looked down a velocity stack wot?? nothing but a vapor cloud. to be alarmed??, nope, can be a good thing as it is mixed well with air and ready to burn. will some leave, yep, i used to get raw fuel burns on my leg when the big dellorto was dumping back through the stack wot on the flats.

Old 10-02-2019, 11:05 AM
Jason Martindale
Stage I

I've got air blowing out my carb.. pushrods are moving, the rockers and valves look to working. I'm stuck
I'd appreciate any help to get me in the wind,many thanks

Old 04-02-2024, 12:06 PM
Iron Chief
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Peder
Hi geads! have you swaped your camshaft? If you have done that the chances are that there is a bit to much of overlap, meaning that intake are open longer with the exaust. And that will cause a spray back on lover rpm and when you crack the trottel wide open it will unfortunately spray back.
I use Bob Wood,s exelent camshaft, short duration but high lift. ( TW-6HG)
Sinserely Peder.
Exactly!

Old 04-03-2024, 07:49 PM
NORTY FLATZ
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,383 Likes on 2,951 Posts

Welcome to the site.