Carburetor Related Find discussions on carburetor related goodies here. Swap and trades? Rebuild information and tuning for the pre EFI systems.

Right jet kit for '90 883 Sporty w/ new pipes

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2010, 12:45 AM
dumphy
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Right jet kit for '90 883 Sporty w/ new pipes

I recently put new pipes on my dad's '90 883 Sportster. It has a stock carb and had stock H-D pipes with stock "slip on" baffles and a cross pipe that connected the front/rear pipes(that I later found had cracks/leaks at the welds). The new pipes came with "torque cones" that installed on the top of the pipe but have no baffles (or cross over pipe) to increase exhaust flow and bring the bikes sound back. Obviously the carb will need a tune at the least, but more than likely a "jet kit". Will most H-D dealerships steer me towards the correct kit based on the above info, or will I need more specs? Also, if I plan on an air intake upgrade, should I do it before I get the jet kit? Thanks for any help. I did a few searches and read up on the stickies before posting this. It does run ok when cold and the fuel enrichener is pulled out, but it spits like it's lean(obviously) when I push it back in.

Attached Thumbnails Right jet kit for '90 883 Sporty w/ new pipes-comeandtakeitjess.jpg  
Old 09-26-2010, 01:37 PM
Hot
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dumphy
I recently put new pipes on my dad's '90 883 Sportster. It has a stock carb and had stock H-D pipes with stock "slip on" baffles and a cross pipe that connected the front/rear pipes(that I later found had cracks/leaks at the welds). The new pipes came with "torque cones" that installed on the top of the pipe but have no baffles (or cross over pipe) to increase exhaust flow and bring the bikes sound back. Obviously the carb will need a tune at the least, but more than likely a "jet kit". Will most H-D dealerships steer me towards the correct kit based on the above info, or will I need more specs? Also, if I plan on an air intake upgrade, should I do it before I get the jet kit? Thanks for any help. I did a few searches and read up on the stickies before posting this. It does run ok when cold and the fuel enrichener is pulled out, but it spits like it's lean(obviously) when I push it back in.

Good Question, sorry I don't have an answer, but I have a 1990 Sportster also, and would like to know the correct jetting... (we are at about 2500' above sea level here).
Good Luck.
Thanks,
Rod

Old 10-09-2010, 05:47 PM
peppi
Road Captain
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I would put the stage 1 on before jetting the carb or you will be doing it over again. With your combo a #46 low jet (pilot jet) and a #185 main jet should do the trick.The dealer can order the jets or J&P cycles has them in stock for a few bucks. Just get the jets only instead of the entire kit, it's not needed and don't drill the slide.

http://www.jpcycles.com/search/searc...Ntk=All&Nao=10 <top one

You can also lift the main jet needle using 2- #4 brass washers to bring in the fuel curve a bit sooner to eliminate the popping on the sportster. This requires removing the top of the carb and can be a bit tricky dealing with the diaphragm when putting it back together.
Also re set your idle mixture for highest and steadiest idle speed usually found about 2 1/2 turns open from a lightly seated position. This may require removal of the plug that covers the idle mixture if it hasn't been removed already.

HOT, your jetting would be lower (smaller) than this due to your elevation.

Attached Thumbnails Right jet kit for '90 883 Sporty w/ new pipes-cv-carb.jpg   Right jet kit for '90 883 Sporty w/ new pipes-cv-animation.jpg  

Last edited by peppi; 10-09-2010 at 06:05 PM.