Carburetor Related Find discussions on carburetor related goodies here. Swap and trades? Rebuild information and tuning for the pre EFI systems.

Looking for info on second float bowl hose

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2014, 09:16 PM
Jake76
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for info on second float bowl hose

Hey guys, I'm trying to help my neighbor out and bring his 85 Lowrider back to life after being in storage for the last 5 years. Anyways I pulled the carb on it and noticed that it has two hoses coming out of the float bowl. The one hose is definitely the overflow hose but I have no idea what the second hose does. It feeds right out of the bottom of the bowl so whenever there's gas in the bowl it comes straight out of this hose. I looked all over and do not see an obvious spot where this hose may for some reason connect. I ended up plugging it with a screw and starting the bike and the bike runs fine like this. I'm curious though what the heck this hose does. Can anyone here give me a little insight?

Old 08-22-2014, 10:23 AM
lowflyer
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 100 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by Jake76
Hey guys, I'm trying to help my neighbor out and bring his 85 Lowrider back to life after being in storage for the last 5 years. Anyways I pulled the carb on it and noticed that it has two hoses coming out of the float bowl. The one hose is definitely the overflow hose but I have no idea what the second hose does. It feeds right out of the bottom of the bowl so whenever there's gas in the bowl it comes straight out of this hose. I looked all over and do not see an obvious spot where this hose may for some reason connect. I ended up plugging it with a screw and starting the bike and the bike runs fine like this. I'm curious though what the heck this hose does. Can anyone here give me a little insight?
That`s the drain for the float bowl. It can also be used to monitor float level. You did the right thing blocking it off.

Old 08-27-2014, 08:48 PM
Jake76
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lowflyer
That`s the drain for the float bowl. It can also be used to monitor float level. You did the right thing blocking it off.
Thanks lowflyer. I was wondering if that was all it is. Just seems really excessive of a set-up for just those two functions.

Old 08-31-2014, 10:25 AM
lowflyer
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 100 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by Jake76
Thanks lowflyer. I was wondering if that was all it is. Just seems really excessive of a set-up for just those two functions.
It`s an excellent indicator for actual float level. Sure don`t get any tech help on this forum, and it`s an excellent popular carb.