Classic All 'historic' bikes.

My retro project

Old 03-23-2009, 11:20 PM
gergOS
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My retro project

So I wanted to throw up a post about my new project. When done it will likely be a mix of old and new (unless I find that shovelhead engine hiding somewhere). I was with a few customers last month and we stopped in to drop off a Sporty for maintenance. While we were there the other 2 I was with negotiated a deal on a Sporty each, and I fell over myself with an '08 Nightster.

Being one that appreciates anything classic over the new stuff, I passed on the bike and put a few feelers out. A good friend of mine in Corona, CA was a Harley mechanic for about 10 hears and owned his own shop in Huntington Beach where he built several feature bikes. He still builds on the side, but not at his old shop. Anyhow, he quickly set about getting me a rolling chassis lined up. I'll have more specifics later, but I believe we have a late panhead frame and a '58 trailing arm. Narrow glide, 16" out back and 21" up front. I am going for a classic twist on the new Nightster theme. I want a bike that looks as if Harley made a Nightster back in the late '50s or early '60s.

So far it looks like a gloss powder frame, and probably black wheels / chrome spokes / black hubs. Hot Rod Flatz black / gloss black two tone tank. Old school covered rear shocks, maybe some pin striping from the era.

I'd hate to do it, but it might rock an EVO at first till I get a classic power plant for it. I am sure to have tons of questions going forward. This is my first build, however I am no stranger to fabrication and building classic autos from nothing.

Hope to have pics real soon. Can hardly sleep thinking about it - the rolling chassis is being put together for me in Corona and I am in Vegas.

Old 03-24-2009, 05:55 AM
rjmac53
Extreme HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

keep us posted...

Old 03-24-2009, 05:58 AM
powdercoater
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Aaah, the start of a new build. Let the excitement begin!

Old 03-24-2009, 06:27 AM
Mark R
Advanced

u wont get the evo in the pan frame without molestering her.. so might wanna get a early powerplant for it !

Old 03-24-2009, 04:42 PM
gergOS
Novice

Yep - I definitely want to find an early engine. Got as many feelers out as I can put to find something . . . Thanks!

Old 04-17-2009, 04:13 PM
gergOS
Novice

So I have been pretty busy but my friend has not! We are on schedule to have a roller by the first of June.

Starting with an early shovel frame, we initially had a couple of 3.5 tanks mocked up. Justin found a '58 trailing arm - something about it he likes specifically, so he jumped on it when it became available. I think the round tubing style versus square? Anyhow here are the initial mock pics I received. Remember, this is literally a bare frame start - ALL mounting hardware will be sourced new and we are using genuine Harley parts everywhere we can.

Then I get a call from Justin a couple of weeks ago - he is excited to tell me he go a old school girder fork assembly, and also found an NOS Super Glide single tank for the big twin frame. Here are the pics I got today:

And pics of pics (LOL) of the Girder coming in today hopefully:

Order is in for the 16" and 21" black rims with stainless lacing (chrome?).

Should have some really good mock up shots before the frame goes off to the powder guys.

Old 04-19-2009, 03:47 AM
Mark R
Advanced

58 to i think 70-72 had a round rear swing arm, this was the hydraulic rear brake set up era after that they had a square swing arm which had a sproket on 1 side and disc on the other

Old 04-22-2009, 09:41 AM
gergOS
Novice

Justin got the girder in yesterday and mocked up for a few shots.

I'm loving the look already!

Old 04-30-2009, 09:26 PM
gergOS
Novice

Rear tire is mounted on new rim, springer is mounted and a loaner front wheel was used to mock up for setting ride height. Rear shocks got ordered today and new front rim / tire should be in Monday.

Old 05-02-2009, 01:27 AM
Mark R
Advanced

have u got any pics of that gennie shovel in that walla rigid frame? its in the back ground off 1 of ur pics wanna do somethin like this myself 1 day and a few pics of urs would be handy

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: My retro project