XLCH Amen Savior build

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2016, 03:29 PM
AmenSavior
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default XLCH Amen Savior build

Hi from Kingsport TN.
I'm working on a plunger frame chopper with a 75' Ironhead. This bike should be ready spring 2017. Right now I'm tinkering with the idea of swapping the engine for a 91'-02" Evo for the 5 speed trans and a little better reliability. Your opinions would be appreciated. I have pics of the build on my profile. Having a kicker bike would be cool but an electric start seems less problems for me now. I'm trying to make this bike capable for road trips.

Old 12-31-2016, 02:36 PM
gallaecus
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Personally, I would keep it period Correct. Sounds like a cool build .
I would keep the 75 driveline. ��

Old 01-06-2017, 02:46 AM
Phideux
Tourer
Received 124 Likes on 73 Posts

I got a 75, mine is kick and electric, change sprockets if you want to road trip.

Nothing quite sounds like an old Ironhead.

The following users liked this post:
Saddlemen (02-02-2017)
Old 01-06-2017, 09:08 AM
Stick_FSMC
Tourer
Received 180 Likes on 79 Posts

I would keep the old drive train. Nothing screams "Come check me out!" like an old Ironhead.

Old 01-07-2017, 06:19 AM
AJSHOVEL
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 10,430 Likes on 4,130 Posts

To put an EVO in an Amen frame is almost sacrilegious IMHO, lol.
A well gone over and built and taken care of Ironhead is very reliable. If you know your bike and have it timed and tuned correctly, you will have a one or two kick bike. And as was stated, four speed is fine, just change your sprocket for highway riding. That being said, we used to ride our XLCHs all over God's green earth with stock gearing. Good luck, send pics.

Old 01-07-2017, 06:23 AM
AJSHOVEL
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 10,430 Likes on 4,130 Posts

You may want to post in the Ironhead forum.

Old 01-12-2017, 08:54 AM
Hey Man
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,004 Likes on 2,817 Posts

Originally Posted by AmenSavior
Hi from Kingsport TN.
I'm working on a plunger frame chopper with a 75' Ironhead. This bike should be ready spring 2017. Right now I'm tinkering with the idea of swapping the engine for a 91'-02" Evo for the 5 speed trans and a little better reliability. Your opinions would be appreciated. I have pics of the build on my profile. Having a kicker bike would be cool but an electric start seems less problems for me now. I'm trying to make this bike capable for road trips.

Normally I say stick with the Ironhead motor but I think what you're planning might be a pretty slick idea. If the Savior frame you're working with is for an Ironhead then I believe an Evo motor up to '03 should fit. Only thing that might be different is the top motor mount. Now, concentrate on getting some pics posted!!!

Old 01-17-2017, 07:42 PM
back again
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,804 Likes on 2,123 Posts

Originally Posted by AJSHOVEL
To put an EVO in an Amen frame is almost sacrilegious IMHO, lol.
A well gone over and built and taken care of Ironhead is very reliable. If you know your bike and have it timed and tuned correctly, you will have a one or two kick bike. And as was stated, four speed is fine, just change your sprocket for highway riding. That being said, we used to ride our XLCHs all over God's green earth with stock gearing. Good luck, send pics.
As AJ says put them together right,soulder all your ends and splices you will have a really reliable bike despite what people say. I used to win lots of drinks and some cash way back when starting mine on one kick.Stay with the Ironhead and make believers out of the doubters. O-ring rocker shaft leaks were my biggest problem. After going back to blasted rockers boxes that problem went away to changing them once a year.

Old 01-19-2017, 08:45 PM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,808 Likes on 3,313 Posts

I just checked out your build and being a dedicated Evo owner I must say you would be doing that chassis a huge injustice by replacing that IronHead...... If it's about cruising and a trans issue I'm sure that can be upgraded. Baker Drivetrain has some goodies that can accommodate just about anyone......

Old 03-31-2017, 05:30 PM
AmenSavior
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Ironhead swapped for Evo on Amen Savior

Ok, I'm gonna draw fire but between finding a buyer for the 75' Ironhead and getting a good deal on 2000 fresh build Evo I've swapped engines. The Ironhead went to a good home and the Evo looks to be a good match for the build. Still, I know the original engine had chopper charisma the Evo won't. It's a sin for sure but I may have the only Evo powered Amen Savior around. At first I thought the cylinders wouldn't clear but so far so good.
Front mounts and cylinder mount will need to be fabricated but it looks doable.
I can see I'm giving up the classic chopper look going with the Evo powerplant.
This motor was originally an 883 but it's been built from a shop to 1200. The extra power should come in handy. Feedback is appreciated. Even if negative.

Quick Reply: XLCH Amen Savior build