Custom Models All custom bikes.

Bagger Adventure bike?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2017, 08:22 AM
Jesse Osborne White
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bagger Adventure bike?

Didn't exactly know where this would fit, How do you guys think a lightened, guard bar'd, lifted Road Glide would do off road as an adventure bike? I was thinking reinforced frame (gussets in the right places) raise seat height by 2 inches, move pegs back a big, lift bike by 7 inches, ground clearance 12 inches, seat height 36 inches, replace saddle bags with something lighter, aluminum guard cage around the bags, the lifting of the seat will just be accomplished with reshaped padding to be more narrow like an adventure bike (say KLR) dual sport tires, rerouted exhaust, maybe i'll draw something up, side shocks on the rear with remote reservoir (did i hear ohlins?) should be partially covered by the bags if that works out, some roll over bars maybe closer to your legs, something that makes sure the bike can never crush your legs lol, a plastic gas tank similar in shape to that on the Road Glide already for refitting of instrumentation, dual sport tires, Ohlins up front as well, extended brake lines, brake guards, wheel guard that forces brush under the wheel, replace sound system with navigation/accessory configuration, listen to awesome V-twin as i go trail riding.... yeah sounds fun to me

Old 02-04-2017, 11:21 PM
ranchodeluxe
Tourer
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Why not lay down on the garage floor and have your buddy smash your leg with a sledgehammer? The result will be the same.

Old 02-05-2017, 08:05 AM
Jesse Osborne White
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ranchodeluxe
Why not lay down on the garage floor and have your buddy smash your leg with a sledgehammer? The result will be the same.
#1 this worked brilliantly with a gold wing and is current going together quite well with an Ironhead lol, #2 I've been riding off road my whole life, probably have a million miles clocked on trails, tracks and just worn grooves in the land, Not a pavement slave, #3 You seem like someone who assumes no one can out ride you, I've already learned people can out ride me but i refuse to stop trying to get better or to do this the way that i like, and i like it with bigger motors lol. #4 John shope-baggervated and Unknown industries' street glide?! its called being an experienced stunt rider :P anything you'd like to add as a physical modification suggestion though?

Old 02-05-2017, 08:46 AM
IdahoHacker
Club Member

Received 2,953 Likes on 1,685 Posts

Start with a Street 750 and you'd have a chance.

Old 02-07-2017, 03:10 AM
LQQK_OUT
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,563 Likes on 1,082 Posts

Wouldn't a Road Glide be to heavy? From what I've read, the lighter the bike the better the trail riding experience.

Old 02-07-2017, 05:29 AM
MatteGlide15
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1,270 Likes on 600 Posts

Food for thought..... The BMW GS 1200, Honda Africa, KTM super duke enduro, Ducati Multistrada Enduro, etc. are all so called adventure bikes and weigh 300+lbs less than a bagger. They have all been put through the paces by professional riders and ALL have been criticized for the weight! I've seen some sportsters converted to scrambler type bikes and even a couple dynas. We are talking gravel roads and fire trails @ best. Your $$$ time and well being but I would advise against taking a 800lb 2 wheel machine off road to play in the mud

Old 02-07-2017, 06:40 AM
Architect
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,928 Likes on 2,568 Posts

I hear you but I think you are starting off with too heavy of a bike, same train of thought but starting with a Dyna (switchback!?!?) might be the way to go, 100#'s gone from the start. If you build it, I will watch.

The following users liked this post:
Jesse Osborne White (02-07-2017)
Old 02-07-2017, 09:57 AM
Jesse Osborne White
Intermediate

See I used to ride thumpers all the time, hell I've even stripped a 650 down to just over 200 pounds, it still wasn't enough to make me take the bike seriously, it didn't scare me, it just excited me, I want something that's gonna probably teach me a lesson, lol Maybe the Ironhead 1000 MX bike i'm halfway through building will already do that, i have some pics here but keep in mind they're a week old and that swing arm mount is GONE, so is the post the engine mounts are on as i'm gonna build an engine mount (kept the bottom mounts) that allows me to utilize the full floater suspension i'm trying to put in it, it'll be a very unique project, If it gets finished on time lol i have 23 days to get $450 for the rent on my shop too LOL!the MX swing arm will meet up on the stock swing arm mount now that i uncovered it (14 cut off wheels later)

Attached Thumbnails Bagger Adventure bike?-img_0324.jpg   Bagger Adventure bike?-img_0371.jpg   Bagger Adventure bike?-img_0372.jpg  
Old 02-07-2017, 10:00 AM
Jesse Osborne White
Intermediate

I was thinking i was even going to make the fairing/bag fiberglass thinner by shaving the inside cause aren't those fiberglass side cases like 1/2-3/4 of an inch thick? lol i think shaving them down and adding thin aluminum supports inside would help, or trading them for jerry cans/tool boxes for utility, plastic tank, smaller seat, aluminum/ fiberglass fenders, smaller battery, ditch the sound system (i wear a closed helmet cause i'm ugly anyway LOLOLOLOL)

Old 02-07-2017, 10:08 AM
Jesse Osborne White
Intermediate

steel rims with spokes, some weight would return with things like navigation and lights but, something else is renthal handle bars, instead of the heavy bars harleys come with, theres so much weight to strip off the bike its ridiculous, i took 5 pounds off the ironhead frame by switching to aluminum 43mm triple clamps instead of the heavy billet 36s i had when i got it (i got the frame butchered! i swear! botched hardtail conversion) running KYB 43mm conventionals now, 13 inches ground clearance LOL! if someone buys it (if i let someone buy it, i have other things for sale and this tickles me) then i'll start on a road/street glide off roader and post build pics and such! I had a design for an oil rig inspired fat boy once with fork mounted acetylene/oxy tanks LOL and other such goodies, 220 generator, air/electrical cable spools, tool box, built in port-a-weld, I lived in central prairie canada so thats what inspired that, anyway, off to work have a good one guys!

Quick Reply: Bagger Adventure bike?