Custom Models All custom bikes.

Give me some info about rear fenders that are welded to the swingarm!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2007, 01:10 AM
orangecrush
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Give me some info about rear fenders that are welded to the swingarm!!

Now that I've got my bike together, I fukked up the rear fender. I had cut the edge to follow the radius of the rim. It was a perfect match but once I got the fender and rear suspension put together, I realize I had to raise my adjustable shocks so the fender wouldn't bottom out.

The problem is, as I raised the rear fender, the arch for what I cut no longer follows the wheel curvature. I'm so disappointed in my stupidity.

The other problem is, in order to make sure the rear fender doesn't slam the swingarm, I've had to raise it so high, the gap looks stupid.

I really wanted to use a fender that welds to the swingarm so I can make it look like a rigid (as far as gap) but I don't know what to do with the "gap" between the seat and rear fender then.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,

Mark

Old 05-07-2007, 09:37 AM
dog155
Extreme HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts
Default RE: Give me some info about rear fenders that are welded to the swingarm!!

The only choice you would have there is building a support for the seat.It is a cool look.

Old 05-14-2007, 09:12 PM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,211 Likes on 461 Posts
Default RE: Give me some info about rear fenders that are welded to the swingarm!!

When we used to do this on the Ironheads and Shovels the seat of choice was a Bates solo, or at least a knockoff. If a passenger torture device was wanted, a p-pad was installed on the fender. The Sloptail frame is built differently, but close enough that a similar seat will work. I've seen a couple of Sloptails that used a "modern" style solo seat. IMHO, the seat didn't "work" as the lines of the seat could no longer "flow" with the frame/fender. Made it look kludgy, to my eyes.

Old 07-05-2007, 09:07 PM
SKOOTERBUM
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I HAD THE SAME DILEMA WITH THE BIKE THAT I AM BUILDING !! I LOOKED THROUGH A LOT OF BIKEMAGS AND GOT A LOT OF IDEAS FROM THERE. I MADE MY SEAT PAN WITH THE BACK UP OFF THE FENDER ABOUT 3 1/2" AND MADE IT SO THE SHEET METAL FOLLOWED THE SAME LINES AS THE REAR FENDER.

Old 07-11-2007, 10:32 PM
orangecrush
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: SKOOTERBUM

I HAD THE SAME DILEMA WITH THE BIKE THAT I AM BUILDING !! I LOOKED THROUGH A LOT OF BIKEMAGS AND GOT A LOT OF IDEAS FROM THERE. I MADE MY SEAT PAN WITH THE BACK UP OFF THE FENDER ABOUT 3 1/2" AND MADE IT SO THE SHEET METAL FOLLOWED THE SAME LINES AS THE REAR FENDER.
I kinda did the same thing except I wanted mine to look like it was mounted to the fender... as you can see in my sig. pic.

Old 07-12-2007, 10:52 AM
js124
Tourer

You can mount it there with out a problem . You can buy some 3m protective film to put behind you seat so it want Scratch or rub your paint off when your shocks move . At most it probably want move more than an inch at the seat .

Old 07-12-2007, 09:34 PM
SKOOTERBUM
6th Gear

sweet ride mark!!! i like the looks of the bike!! is the back of the seat hinged some how or is the back tin of the seatpadded between it and fender??
ron

Old 07-13-2007, 05:38 AM
orangecrush
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: SKOOTERBUM

sweet ride mark!!! i like the looks of the bike!! is the back of the seat hinged some how or is the back tin of the seatpadded between it and fender??
ron
Thanks Ron, the seat pan is made so it is self supporting. (the seat weighs like 40 lbs...lol) I had padding put inbetween the rear backing and the rear fender so it looks like it's touching. If you were to look at it up close, you'd see there is about an 1/8" of an inch between the seat and fender.

When I sit on it, the seat barely rubs on the fender. I put some 3M clear on the fender and it works fine.

My only problem is I cut the backing down about an inch and a half and by the time I put foam on it, it really shortened up the backing.

At some point, I'm gonna have to redo the seat pan and weld on a longer backing. I hate having to do things 3 and4 times...

Old 07-13-2007, 08:09 AM
SKOOTERBUM
6th Gear

i can relate to the 3 and 4 times over thing. have done that a LOT on my build. anyways that is one sweet ride you have there !!!!!
ron

Old 07-13-2007, 02:57 PM
DirtyDave
Tourer

Check this out, maybe it will give you some ideas.

https://www.hdforums.com/m_844687/tm.htm

Quick Reply: Give me some info about rear fenders that are welded to the swingarm!!