Custom Models All custom bikes.

wide tire handling

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2007, 05:29 AM
TIPN8R
Received 11 Likes on 1 Post
Default RE: wide tire handling

copperkid and rockerhead, you 2 have 2 beautiful scoots, nice builds!

Old 12-19-2007, 04:52 PM
lakedrunk
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a 250 on my last bike and the handling problem wasn't with the tire, at the time I had the bike built I didn't know exactly what was out there for frames and such, so my motor was off set an inch and it thru the balance off. and the bike was too low so I would scrape on turns. I've rode some nicely balanced bikes with 250's and they ridefine. Here's a picture of my last bike.

Old 01-13-2008, 01:55 PM
Long124
Tourer

250 Avon Venom on a stretched chopper frame...bike is 9'7" long. No problem straight line riding. If the road gets twistymy speed has to drop, not so much to the wide tire but more so to length of the bike and the ride height, things start to scrape.

Old 01-13-2008, 10:55 PM
customhd
Intermediate

Depending on the air pressure, they get a little bouncy.

Old 02-11-2008, 05:54 PM
mystery pan
Intermediate
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've have a 360 with a RR 155, rigid frame on my new build, took about 10 months. Have to work the turns. The ride, well, I'm working my third beer before the pack finally shows up.....

Old 02-11-2008, 10:54 PM
FandA M
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just my opinion but I never did get the whole wide tire thing.I thought that fad was over.I've always thoughtanything over a 180looked kind of silly and no matter what anyone says they really don't handle well compared to a skinnier tire.I've ridden with a 240 a bunch of times on a 42* rake bike and it was just a bear on corners.On a straight run I could take my hands off the bars at 100mph with no problems but they'e just not for me.I'm all about "go" over "show".Give me a 130 any day.

[IMG]local://upfiles/36280/998DD539172B47329B76040B0C9E13B0.jpg[/IMG]

Old 02-13-2008, 04:12 PM
mystery pan
Intermediate
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

here's my opinion; Wide tires a fad, don't get out much do you. So, you say my scoot is silly. Your, All about "GO" over "Show" and you ride a skirtster, the little thing is cute I want to hang it my xmas tree. Even in the turns or the straights all you are ever going to see is (you my have to be wearing your bifocals) is that" WIDE TIRE THING" but don't worry, I'll have to pull over at sometime to take a pi$$ maybe you will have caught up by then. All about go and no show what a joke
ORIGINAL: FandA M

Just my opinion but I never did get the whole wide tire thing.I thought that fad was over.I've always thoughtanything over a 180looked kind of silly and no matter what anyone says they really don't handle well compared to a skinnier tire.I've ridden with a 240 a bunch of times on a 42* rake bike and it was just a bear on corners.On a straight run I could take my hands off the bars at 100mph with no problems but they'e just not for me.I'm all about "go" over "show".Give me a 130 any day.

Old 02-13-2008, 05:40 PM
FandA M
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: mystery pan

here's my opinion; Wide tires a fad, don't get out much do you. So, you say my scoot is silly. Your, All about "GO" over "Show" and you ride a skirtster, the little thing is cute I want to hang it my xmas tree. Even in the turns or the straights all you are ever going to see is (you my have to be wearing your bifocals) is that" WIDE TIRE THING" but don't worry, I'll have to pull over at sometime to take a pi$$ maybe you will have caught up by then. All about go and no show what a joke
ORIGINAL: FandA M

Yeah I think they are a fad....just like those production bikes they call "choppers"......you know the oneswith the pretty paint jobs that aren't chopped.And believe me ...I get out plenty and I've been around

You seem pretty insecure about your bike there pal.I was only giving my opinion on wide tires.It's pretty apparent you don't like Sporties......thats cool with me.I couldn't give a **** what you think but you seem pretty upset.I just don't like wide tires and the original poster asked for opinions

My little "skirtster" has 11:1 compression with Wiesco forged pistons
Red Shift .615lift cams
S&S lifters,adjust pushrods,and roller rockers
Baisley racing valves with Zippers titanium collars,springs and stepped guides
Heads have been ported and polished,cylinders decked, and rocker boxes have been clearanced
Daytona Twin Tech single fire
SU carb

Andrews "W" 1st gear "C" 2,3,4 with Sifton billet trap door

at about 450lbs or lessI can usaully smoke mostbig inch motors(I have many times)and if not I can always keep up with them.Usually it's the guys like you that talk shitwithout knowingwhats in it.I'm in Daytona.......shoot me an email if you ever wanna run 'em.

Old 02-13-2008, 10:02 PM
748*2Risk
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh I got to get some popcorn and another beer for this one.............

Old 02-14-2008, 06:35 AM
rebeltruce
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

FandA M,

Folks have been putting fat tires on Chops since before you and I were born! So your opinion regarding them being a fad is simply wrong.

Now I won't put ya down for riding a Sporty, my Chop is based on a '98' Sportster Sport motor that has a little bit done to her, I too can smoke most Big Twins, and have never had a problem keeping up with anyone.

But you are just plain wrong about the whole fat tire thing....hell my old man had a an old Pan he modded to run a car tire on back in the late sixties!

Quick Reply: wide tire handling