Custom Models All custom bikes.

Springer front end and wheelies

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2007, 10:18 PM
codsack
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Springer front end and wheelies

Whats up guys? I was just curious. I have a lil custom build that I'm doing right now. A 78' KZ1000 that I've converted to rigid, and I'm thinking of putting a springer front end on it. I'm just concerned a little bit. I'm gonna run a 15 toothed drive sprocket and 47 rear sprocket on it. I'm pretty sure it'll be wheelie happy if I stab it, which I don't mind. I was wondering if anyone has any experiences with a bike that tends to pull wheelies and has a springer front end on it. How does it react coming back down. I'm sure I'll get good a layin the front end back down for a softer landing, but I'm not too sure how a springer will like it. Anyone have any input. Should I just stick with the stock front end, which I really don't wanna do at all. Later yall .... the fish.

Old 11-04-2007, 04:50 AM
Gigawitz
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Springer front end and wheelies

I have no comment on the gearing mods but if you are any good at wheelies, it won't matter what front end you have. Chances are you will get good at jumping off the back of the bike and eating road tar before you worry about how the front end lands. Custom bikes areusually more about looks than performance, if you like the look of a springer, go for it.

Old 11-04-2007, 10:43 AM
codsack
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Springer front end and wheelies

I'm not building the bike to do wheelies on it, but I'm pretty sure that it'll pull the front wheel up if I gas it hard. I was just curious how the springer will come back down. Does it get bouncey, due the springs and no shock absorber to dampen the front end when it comes back down? I know you can get them with the shock absorber to dampen things though.
I figured I'd get some unless replys on this. Seems like more people like to bash others, than give helpful information. This isn't gonna be a long raked chopper, like these cookie cutter, so called custom choppers these shops are putting out nowadays. It's gonna be a short bobber. Later........the fish