Custom Models All custom bikes.

Frame neck difference XR, XL, Big Twin??

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2008, 05:05 AM
62trvler
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Frame neck difference XR, XL, Big Twin??

Is there a difference in the neck size between the XR,XL, Big Twin frames?
I want to mount a sportster or XR front end to a big twin frame. Are they all interchangeable?

Old 02-08-2008, 05:43 AM
megawatt
Road Warrior
Received 63 Likes on 56 Posts
Default RE: Frame neck difference XR, XL, Big Twin??

Early Sportsters used ball bearings in the steering head and I believe the stem was 7/8". The later models went to a 1" stem and tapered roller bearings (Timken) like the big twins. I'll be damned I can remember (or if I ever knew) when the change occurred. I've never attempted to putone of thelater Sportster front ends on a big twin...I wonder if the bearing cups are the same distance apart...my guess would be that it'll bolt right up but I'd try to find a way to compare the two first.
If you find the answer off this forum, please post what you found out.
Good luck.

The following users liked this post:
torquey1 (11-01-2022)
Old 02-08-2008, 05:45 AM
megawatt
Road Warrior

Oh yeah, don't forget to compare fork stops also.

Old 02-08-2008, 05:52 AM
62trvler
Tourer

I'm trying to mount a flat track ceriani front end to a big twin frame. I am trying to find the right length stem to use as there are so many applications but found one for a XR and was wondering if the XR neck is the same depth as the rest. It will be 1" but not sure of the proper length. I also have a narrow glide front end from a sportster that will bolt on as it is from a 2002. I prefer the other but I am in Iraq and can't measure and don't have the new frame yet. Going to use a Paughco pan frame. I guess if the XR in the same height neck as a big twin the stem I found may work. I just hate to shell out the bucks for the stem and have it be to short.

Old 02-08-2008, 06:11 AM
megawatt
Road Warrior

Well, I adapted a wide glide from a 45" trike (7/8" stem) to mount on a 70's FX. I machined up a new stem from an old valve stemI found in the scrap metal bin atwork. I guess what I'm saying is if you want the Ceriani front end for your bike, then I think you should find a stem and adapt it to the front end or have one made up. You being in the military (an assumption on my part) I imagine you know a guy who knows a guy that can get you what you need.
I hope it all comes together for you and I thank you for serving.

Old 02-08-2008, 06:57 AM
62trvler
Tourer

Having one made was going to be my next step if I couldn't get a factory one to fit. It may even be better as it would be a solid stem instead of hollow from the factory. I was just hoping to find a bolt on to make it easier.

I'm a civ over here (3 1/2 years now) had enough and getting ready to call it quits in a few months so after I get back and have a few beers I'll take a good look at it all. I have a guy to call tonight that may have the answer.I need a good flattracker guy that races the XR's.

Old 02-08-2008, 10:52 AM
dog155
Extreme HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

You get to know the local machinist's quite well playing around with your toys.It is certainly worth it.

Old 04-04-2008, 03:59 AM
Ribcracker
Tourer

not sure why you think solid is better than tube for the stem. Al the stem does is act as a center do the beraing races and lets you adjust the play in them. All the stength is in the bearings, yokes and head stock.nd of course who well the stem is fitted in the tree and the quality of the threads cut in it.
I got ran of the road on My old ducati 916 and end up hitting a hugh rock on a traffic island. The trem steem was straight but it that was all that was any good. The forces of the impactslightly bent the forks but thebottom neck race had pushed back eloganting the headstock!!!!!
It all about how theforces act ona part that dictatesif tube or solid is better.....think about it other wise all our frames would be made out of soild bar instead of tubes