Received 1,028 Likes on 651 Posts

Lose motor mounts

Old 02-15-2016, 07:40 PM
cruzer01
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by misfitJason
Lose motor mounts
The,is misfit, it looks like the engine is directly on the frame, no rubber mounts found. It is the 103 B engine never vibrated at all before. I went ahead and took it to HD, will see what they can find.

Old 02-16-2016, 08:33 AM
misfitJason
Seasoned HDF Member

Even though it's not rubber mounted it still has motor mounts. Tighten the bolts at the bottom and top motor mount. Then check your oil tank mounts. Then check your handlebar mounts and at he base of the bushings. Tighten all of them within spec and see if that helps.

Old 02-16-2016, 08:34 AM
misfitJason
Seasoned HDF Member

Also post a picture. It will help me to understand the platform that your bike is built on. I can't tell from your avatar

Old 02-21-2016, 04:47 AM
sandrooney
Road Master
Received 262 Likes on 176 Posts

How were the early TMC's titled ? I believe for the first few years ( before they had a factory ) they were built in the service department at Thunder Mountain Harley in Loveland Co. Were they titled special construction/homemade.
Thanks,
SR

Old 03-17-2016, 10:20 PM
Rainmaker-LBC
Intermediate
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Help please !!!

I had the unfortunate experience of having my speedo/odometer lcd damaged when I brought my gage to a speedo repair shop just to polish the crystal. Apparently HD puts a coating on the glass to reduce glare and with heat and age it became cloudy.
First I purchased a new replacement #74676-07 and because it wasn't exactly the same as the one thats in it #74549-07 I returned it in fear the odometer would not update from the ecm. The bike is a 2007 Firestone. I brought the bike to a local HD dealer and when they connected their computer to the data link, the ecm said it was a 2005 FLSTFSE. I then purchased a HD part #70900070B. According to everything I read and asked numerous parts and service techs, this unit should work.
When I connect it to the data link to download the mileage, it looks like its going to work however the percentage never counts, only reads zero. (see image)
I followed the directions exactly.
Does anyone have any experience or insight as to why my mileage won't download?

Attached Thumbnails Thunder Mountain Chopper-20160312_112813_resized_4.jpg  
Old 03-18-2016, 12:26 AM
cruzer01
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by misfitJason
Also post a picture. It will help me to understand the platform that your bike is built on. I can't tell from your avatar
Misfit, sorry for the delayed response, I'm not getting the email notice of any responses. I took the bike in to HD and explained how the bike shut off and restarted only with sudden shaking. The tech started by tightening the motor mounts, tank, and handle bars and found that the shaking got worse. He then went into the primary and found too much oil came out from behind the primary. To make a long story short, the found metal shavings, and ended up having to split cases, the fuel pump had cracked, no lubrication along with metal shavings = disater. They are rebuilding it, upgrading the tensioners to the hydrolic ones. I took very good care of my bike, did all the maintenance as sceduled. It only has 25k miles and now it's getting an overhaul. I hope no one else has to go thru this. So if your bike suddenly starts shaking, shut it down immediately and have it goes to HD. The tech said if I would have kept riding, I would have needed a new engine.

Old 03-25-2016, 10:31 PM
Rainmaker-LBC
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Rainmaker-LBC
I had the unfortunate experience of having my speedo/odometer lcd damaged when I brought my gage to a speedo repair shop just to polish the crystal. Apparently HD puts a coating on the glass to reduce glare and with heat and age it became cloudy.
First I purchased a new replacement #74676-07 and because it wasn't exactly the same as the one thats in it #74549-07 I returned it in fear the odometer would not update from the ecm. The bike is a 2007 Firestone. I brought the bike to a local HD dealer and when they connected their computer to the data link, the ecm said it was a 2005 FLSTFSE. I then purchased a HD part #70900070B. According to everything I read and asked numerous parts and service techs, this unit should work.
When I connect it to the data link to download the mileage, it looks like its going to work however the percentage never counts, only reads zero. (see image)
I followed the directions exactly.
Does anyone have any experience or insight as to why my mileage won't download?

Well, I'm really dumfounded now! I took my bike to a local mechanic for a dyno test and they found a few issues that we thought would be the problem (short in a wire under the battery box, faulty hi/low switch, and headlamp needed replacing). Once those little things were completed, the dyno test was performed ( 120 ft-lbs and 100 hp). nice numbers! Then the shop did the download and it took however the odometer only showed 7 miles. Yes SEVEN miles! The ECM shows 7308 miles. Apparently the ECM and speedo do not talk to each other. Harley will not order this gage with mileage pre-set since it's supposed to get the miles from the ECM. I wouldn't mind even getting a 74549-07 or 74676-07, which are essentially the same as my existing speedo. I believe its the 74549-07. The problem again is getting the odometer right.
The only solution I can find is getting a Dakota Digital MVX where I can set the odometer to the correct value. It's just not as nice of a gage as the HD products in my opinion.
Doesn't anyone have a better idea or solution?

Old 04-22-2016, 01:33 PM
fatusboyus
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

my 2005 thunder mountain Blackhawk 240, it has the screaming eagle 103" fuel injected motor, runs fantastic I love it

so far I've put on the vance and hines 2 into 2 big radius pipes, and extended the forward controls 3"....paint is freaking crazy on this thing

thought i'd post on this thread since you just don't see much out there about these bikes

Name:  B0E5575B-104F-425C-B789-D621B91921F9_zpslrvomqee.jpg
Views: 908
Size:  134.6 KB

Name:  E1273197-F9F0-4CE3-BC2D-209B6889FB05_zpsiooem3hp.jpg
Views: 886
Size:  219.6 KB

Name:  83F6590D-A8F6-4511-BE7D-167B51843E5C_zpsuazxtnd8.jpg
Views: 938
Size:  183.0 KB

Name:  96018611-4B0E-41E0-8884-C7B7FD0477B3_zpsymdstyq0.jpg
Views: 839
Size:  114.9 KB

Last edited by fatusboyus; 04-22-2016 at 01:37 PM.
Old 04-27-2016, 08:21 PM
Rainmaker-LBC
Intermediate
Default The speedometer saga continues !!

Originally Posted by Rainmaker-LBC
Well, I'm really dumfounded now! I took my bike to a local mechanic for a dyno test and they found a few issues that we thought would be the problem (short in a wire under the battery box, faulty hi/low switch, and headlamp needed replacing). Once those little things were completed, the dyno test was performed ( 120 ft-lbs and 100 hp). nice numbers! Then the shop did the download and it took however the odometer only showed 7 miles. Yes SEVEN miles! The ECM shows 7308 miles. Apparently the ECM and speedo do not talk to each other. Harley will not order this gage with mileage pre-set since it's supposed to get the miles from the ECM. I wouldn't mind even getting a 74549-07 or 74676-07, which are essentially the same as my existing speedo. I believe its the 74549-07. The problem again is getting the odometer right.
The only solution I can find is getting a Dakota Digital MVX where I can set the odometer to the correct value. It's just not as nice of a gage as the HD products in my opinion.
Doesn't anyone have a better idea or solution?
After so many phone calls and trial n error, I found out that the HD 70900070B speedometer will NOT work on my bike. I finally got my local Harley dealer to do the download and install however they couldn't get the download to work. Reason, this speedo does,t work with the Screaming Eagle ECM. With all the people at HD I have spoken to, all the research, why hasn't anyone figured this out already? End result was they couldn't charge me anything and I'm not stuck with a speedo I can't use, so I'm happy about that.

I ended up re purchasing the 74676-07 from the same Ebay seller. This speedo has zero miles on it. Here's another story all together so I'll try to keep it short...
This speedo was manufactured by Maximo Inc, a company owned by Stuart Warner. I contacted S/W and they said when HD stopped ordering the speedo's from them, they returned the tools to set mileage as they were the property of HD. When I explained this to the HD service writer who tried to install the other gage, he said to bring him the speedo and he would find the right person at HD to set the mileage for me. What a friggin headache! This is where I am so far....
Oh, and here's a picture of my beloved Jessica!!!

Attached Thumbnails Thunder Mountain Chopper-20160218_153052_resized.jpg  

Quick Reply: Thunder Mountain Chopper