Custom Models All custom bikes.

Exile Bikes

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2005, 02:47 PM
Lowman
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Exile Bikes

That Fat Bloke is one of the sickest rides I have ever seen...if I could afford one I would plunk my money down right now and never look back.

JB

Old 08-31-2005, 02:57 PM
Babs
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Lowman

That Fat Bloke is one of the sickest rides I have ever seen...if I could afford one I would plunk my money down right now and never look back.

JB
If you're mechanically inclined (can turn a wrench).. They offer them in kit's (according to the website). That's a BIG savings over having them completely assemble the bike. That would be my only way of doing it.

Brings up an interesting point though.. Their chassis is relatively stock for a lot of these bikes.. I think they just use standard wide glide / FX style front ends. I wonder if a person had an old softail they'd like to spruce up, they could make a dramatic change by doing the engine and body paintwork and exile fenders and fat tires.. To really clean it up, the drivetrain mods (beltdrive and chain final drive and sprocket/brake combo) would make one killer custom.. Then maybe finally the slick handlebar hidden throttle and shifter.

Old 11-14-2005, 03:08 PM
ThudMeister
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Greywolf

I like the industrial look of Russel Mitchels (spelling?) Exile Cycles. Does anyone own or know of someone who has one of his bikes? How well made are they? Ect. ect.
Ya know they are growing on me. I like color, lots of it so car drivers can see me. Last week I got some satin black spay just to see how this custom would look. Its growing on me and I have had more complements in the last few days than in the last few weeks its been on the road. Easy to maintain too I bet. I have way to much chrome for Russel's taste, I am sure of that.

Old 12-19-2005, 09:47 PM
traveler
Extreme HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Here's Russel's formula guys:

Aluminum pices are rubbed down with emery cloth for the brushed look, NOT POLISHED!!!!

Frames are powdercoated black

The tins are painted black with a satin clear coat.

Chrome sucks![:'(]

As Russel said on T.V. The other bikes look like a "rolling Easter egg". Couldn't agree more![8D]

ANY Harley can be done this way!!!!! Just got to make the "Jump"!!!!

I've gone minimal chrome, got to get ride of some more, but I'm coming along........I like it better now!!!!!!

joe

Old 12-19-2005, 10:01 PM
Scout
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 704 Likes on 337 Posts

Like his bikes, but he has way too much attitude. He thinks he's perfect and hates everyone elses ideas. You can't survive long term with that attitude. Look at Bob McKays Heal Yeah bike as featured in Decembers Bike Works magazine. Sweet ride, tons of power, industrial look, $15,000 Canadian! www.mckayscyclecreations.com

Old 12-20-2005, 03:06 AM
BikerInTheDesert
Road Master

I agree with ya on the attitude, Joe. I like his build philosophy, and they put together some good looking scoots, but that doesn't negate the contributions of everyone else. As to price...on the seller side, it only makes sense to charge what the market will bear, but, that's cuttin' most of us outta the market, 'cause I simply can't afford to drop 30 thousand on a ride.

Another group to check out, outta Ohio, Sucker Punch Sally's, they do a clean old school scoot, with a price point around $15,000US (some UNDER 15). They also have a "working man's special" for the mechanically inclined, semi set-up kit bike, right at $10,000US.

I can't help it, though, I dig bikes. If I ever hit the lottery, I'll probably waste it on scoots and storage...

Enjoy the ride.

Old 12-20-2005, 11:07 AM
JamieWG
Road Master

I like the Exile bikes and I think Russ puts a lot of thought and effort into creating a custom that is actually made to be ridden. I do wish he would expand his vision.. even though the industrial look is cool, it limits Exile's creativity. It would be nice to see what Russ could come up with if he took himself out of the box and used chrome and color once in a while. I guess what I am trying to say is, a lot of builders create bikes that look nice, but you would never want to ride them very far. Exile bikes look to be top quality and fun to ride.. I think Russ could really raise the bar in the custom bike world if he would try new stuff once in a while.

Old 12-20-2005, 11:53 AM
Babs
Outstanding HDF Member

Guys, I dunno about the attitude thing. I've heard more than one person who's met him at rallies, who've claimed the same thing.. That he was approachable, and would actually take the time to talk to folks. That doesn't sound like attitude to me. Personally, I haven't met him, so I can't vouch for that, but either way I wouldn't judge him. As if Jesse James or the others don't have attitude. Please.

Some attitude is all part of the motif.. The persona. The "tough smartass chopper guy". It's the show. I expect it.

These guys are businessmen first and if I know one thing about it.. You gotta have attitude to be your own man or you'll get run over, regardless the business.

So I personally don't mind if Exile is a bit unapologetic about their look as "in-the-face" of all the prettyboy chrome easter egg stuff out there. Sometimes fresh concepts are necessary with a little criticism. Used to be, a chopper was something that looked rather uh masculine, at least.. But if I see one more hot pink sleaked out shiney $60,000 bike, I'm going to do DUCT TAPE and stickers as my next paintjob! hehehehe[8D] Funny, how the industry ebbs and flows... I'm noticing the Ratbike and Bobber resurgence, to counterbalance the prettyboy look of some of these bikes out now.

Suckerpunch Sally's.. Checked 'em out.. pretty cool.

Old 12-20-2005, 01:47 PM
BikerInTheDesert
Road Master

Babs,

I've heard stories about him being very approachable and knowledgeable as well. On the flip side, I've read comments about him being very condescending and dismissive of other building styles, and that puts you off a little. If it's all showmanship, and salesmanship, cool. If he's cool with his customers, then I'd withdraw any criticism, 'cause, as you said, they've ALL got a little salesmanship attitude about who's building the best bikes. I do know that everything I've read about his shop, they build bikes to ride, period. And I really dig that. Motorcycle art is interesting, but it's not really my thing, I'd rather ride, and Exile puts out some riders. They are absolutely on my first buy after the lottery list! I'll reserve any further judgement until I get to meet him. Now where's my lottery tickets...

Old 12-20-2005, 01:57 PM
Babs
Outstanding HDF Member

Agreed, We're I to go with a custom.. I know where I'd go. Were I to build one, I know what direction I'd take it as well.. and probably where I'd get most of the parts.

Quick Reply: Exile Bikes