Custom Models All custom bikes.

New American IronHorse Legend owner, AIH owners come on in

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2010, 03:32 PM
madmaxnj
Advanced
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default New American IronHorse Legend owner, AIH owners come on in

I've been riding for 14 years now, an HD for the last 10. I've always loved the custom bikes. Starting going to Bike Week and stuff since the late 90's. I've been thinking about getting a new sled for maybe the past month or two and have been trolling craigslist, cycletrader, and ebay and finally got a 2006 American IronHorse Legend. I just re-found this website last week and searching through it has been helpfull. Thanks to pjb for the advice on the price, I picked up the bike for 12.5K. The bike was too much for the previous owner, 65 year old guy, about 5'7". He only rode it a few times. He said the odometer read 114 miles the last time he put it away. I can't verify that since the head unit is now on the fritz. I've read that this is common and I'm actually glad it happend and he saw it. i think it helped in my bargaining. I believe what he says the mileage is just based on the condition of the bike. Other than the dust, the bike is clean. The tires still have the nubs on em. I had it up on the lift last night and went over everything, cleaning, tightening, checking fluids, adjusting the shift linkage and kickstand, etc.

I'd like to find out everything I can about this bike. I'm not just the casual owner. I do my own wrenching and like to know all that I can. From what I can tell and have read, its a 124" S&S, Super E, Baker RSD 6 speed, Gib ignition, Thunder Heart guage cluster, RC Component wheels, and Riviera clutch.

Anything else I should know? The owners manual is a joke. Does anybody have any pdfs of a shop manual, wiring diagrams, or anything like that or know where I can get anything?

I took the bike out for it's maiden ride today. On the good side, it handled pretty well for a bike this big. on the test ride I scrapped the kickstand pretty easy, but the adjuster was set way out. I went a little too much the other way with it now. If I just let the stand come up it will slap the primary. It doesn't touch it when its straight, I guess it just flexes a little. So on the ride today nothing scraped, and I had it leaned over pretty good trying to feel it out. On the bad side, the bars don't come far back enough for me. I remember reading that the 2006 Legend had new bars that came back 2" further than the previous ones. Well I could use another 2 inches. With the internal wiring that might be a bitch. I've changed the bars on my HD, twice. Anybody out there change their bars on an AIH? I see I'll have to change the clutch and brake lines if I go this route, and I'll have to figure something out with the guage unit. Its dead anyway, but I don't know what's an easy swap.

The motor is noisier than I expected and I hope this is normal and just the way it is with a big beast like the 124 that isn't even broken in yet. There's a lot of noise on the primary side of the bike. A slight high pitched whistle, the clickety clack I'm guessing of some monster valves opening and closing, and another little noise that makes it sound like a dry clutch. I checked, and its a wet clutch and fluid is good. When I put it up for the winter I'll change all the fluids and adjust the primary too, and then maybe again next year after putting some more miles on it.

Before I looked at it I thought the stock exhaust might be too quiet, the bike being production. But I like it, not too loud, not too quiet. At idle its probably quieter than my HD, but on the go it has a nice deep rumble to it. I looked at some bikes that were just way too obnoxious and ran alot less smoother than this one. Its real touching slow rolling in first gear, but other than that its pretty civilized if you treat it with respect.

So far, a happy new owner. Here are some pics:

Old 10-09-2010, 11:15 PM
CROCKETT
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When you made the deal on the bike, what type of handgun did you have when you negotiated the price????? LUCKY BASTARD!!!!!

Old 10-10-2010, 09:05 AM
swifty
Tourer
Received 87 Likes on 39 Posts

Check your messages

Old 10-10-2010, 11:12 AM
madmaxnj
Advanced

Originally Posted by CROCKETT
When you made the deal on the bike, what type of handgun did you have when you negotiated the price????? LUCKY BASTARD!!!!!
Beretta 92F Thanks!

Old 10-10-2010, 11:12 AM
madmaxnj
Advanced

Originally Posted by swifty
Check your messages
thanks Swifty, I'll check that out!

Old 10-12-2010, 06:45 AM
pjb
Stellar HDF Member
Received 434 Likes on 246 Posts

they made a optional seat for the legend that pushed you forward, that would be a lot easier then replacing the handlebars.

Ironhorse used Roadmax transmissions, not Baker.

you should have a Super G, not a Super E. the 111's came with a .295 intermediate jet, way to lean. They need at least a .31, I have even used a .33. Not sure what the 124 comes with, or what it runs best with, but I would bet its too lean from the factory.

A good synthetic oil may quiet the valve noise.

Ignition is Gill, not Gib.

ThunderHeart was repairing Ironhorse speedos, sometimes at no charge. check this:

http://www.*****************/forums/ch...blem-help.html

Old 10-13-2010, 06:31 PM
madmaxnj
Advanced

pjb,
I've read in a few places that AIH switched to Bakers in 2006 due to the reliability problems they were having with the Roadmax units.

"Their right-side drive setup and Baker six-speed tranny combine to form what is pretty much the state-of-the-art ticket for shift quality in big American Twins."
From the article at:
http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/19/914...irst-Ride.aspx

I was actually surprised at how well the 124" rode and sounded. It was pretty smooth and sounded nice; loud, but not too loud. After its broken in I'll switch to sythetic and think if I want to change the jetting or pipes. Right now I'm inclined to leave them the way they are. Stock it has waaaayy more power than my Sporty and a better power/weight ratio. I also remember reading that the factory warrantee was decreased for the 124" equipped bikes, expecting more breakage in the drivetrain. I'm a 'use it, don't abuse it' kinda guy, so I will get on it from time to time. If getting more outta the 124" will put things at risk, then I might pass on performance mods.

the bars, seat, speedo, are items I'm looking into and will do something over the winter. I got the lowdown from Thunder Heart. There will be a couple of more riding weekends and then it will be time to put it up for the winter. The leaves are already falling en mass and I've had snow as early as early November. I also have my sportbike to clean the carbs on and my HD is leaking from the rear rocker box and its speedo is on the fritz too. So I'll be busy in the basement and garage this winter. By March I'll be twitching waiting for the weather to break.

Old 10-13-2010, 06:43 PM
TORQUEY
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 175 Likes on 127 Posts

Have fun taming that wild steed...and I know you will!

Old 10-14-2010, 06:06 AM
pjb
Stellar HDF Member
Received 434 Likes on 246 Posts

if it doesn't say Baker on it, it probably isn't. I have never seen an Ironhorse come with a Baker, but I could be wrong. My Roadmax did blow up, and I had to replace it.

Did you verify you have the Super G, and not E? The jetting changes I mentioned were not performance upgrades, but needed for proper tuning. The 111, with the .295 intermediate jet, coughs, spits, and sputters if you try cruising at a steady 30-35 mph, like is sometimes required in town. I guess you could say that is a performance upgrade, but they really don't run well without it. The factory jetting is well under S&S's suggested jetting for a motor that size.

Old 10-14-2010, 12:06 PM
wideglidebob
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

good luck to your back

Quick Reply: New American IronHorse Legend owner, AIH owners come on in