Detailing Discuss keeping your bike looking brand new here.

Keeping Swirls Out Of Black

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2014, 02:24 PM
OwnerOfHarriet
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Keeping Swirls Out Of Black

Going to keep the new bike clean -- its black

Currently I have 2 black bikes -- this summer I did an experiment and on the older black bike which I spend more time riding than cleaning, I did a test where I used Mothers Wax on half of the fairing and Royal Blue on the other half. I think asked people which side they thought looked better without telling them what was on it. .

I was surprised to have them pick the Mothers side.

So I am looking for the best to keep the swirls out of the new black 14 limited.

Things I have used on other vehicles -- Purple Slice, Mothers, Turtle Wax, Royal Blue, Spray Honda and Harley polishes and I am sure there are others -- I have heard that the Turtle Wax ICE is really good.

Was just given a sample bottle of Crystal Candy -- the local dealer uses it to clean the bikes on the floor.

Also what is a good washing liquid -- I've used Meguires, Royal Blue, a local product and others (no dish washing detergent)

Old 12-20-2014, 02:43 PM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 47,783 Likes on 18,559 Posts

Wax does nothing more than "fill" the swirls and minor blemishes ... Periodically, black needs a rejuvenation that takes a bit more effort than just wiping wax on and wiping it off ( Karate Kid come to mind? ) Mothers/Meguiars/Wax Shop offer a "scratch and swirl" remover that when used properly can really bring the Vivid Black back to life ... Practice makes perfect!

Old 12-20-2014, 06:00 PM
lt1-xjs
Road Master
Received 68 Likes on 65 Posts

I use Mothers cleaner wax, followed with an old bottle of Meguiars Swirl remover and finish with Mothers Pure carnauba. I believe the Meguiars swirl remover has been replaced with the Scratch X 2.0 which is supposed to great stuff. I'm going to try it myself as I have seen the before and after pics.

Old 12-20-2014, 09:49 PM
2500hdon37s
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,549 Likes on 667 Posts

The best and easiest way to keep the swirls away is PROPER WASHING. Swirls come from either grit stuck in your wash mitt and rubbing around or by touching and moving dust particles around on the paint (like kids drawing in the dust or somebody writing "wash me"). A two bucket wash with grit guards at the bottom of each bucket, one bucket with soapy water one with clean water. Rinse the wash mitt in the clean water by rubbing it on the grit guard and then pick up new suds before you go back to the bike, wash small sections... If the bike is dirty enough to warrant a wash I do 1 fender, rinse wash mitt + new suds, 1/2 gas tank then rinse mitt, and so on.A good car wash soap will also lubricate your wash mitt better for a lesser chance of swirls. I use Adam's car wash soap or Surf City Garage professional stripper wash if I want to remove and redo my wax or sealant. The swirls have stayed at bay on my bike for the few washes I've given it, along with an air dry only leaf blower or air compressor works if you dont have the fancy detailing air dryer. No drying rag... its bound to pick up grit some where.

Then if you do have LIGHT swirls a hand polish can usually cure those problems, other wise you'd better get the machine out with proper pads and cutting/ polishing liquids. You'll need and should clay bar the paint before correcting if you can feel imperfections in the paint. Once you know your paint swirl free or as swirl free as you'd like you need to protect, that where wax and paint sealants come in (sealants are lab made paint protection and gloss enhancement products like wax) a few coats of wax or sealant should shine nicely and protect. I currently am using Adam's premium car care liquid paint sealant and I love it, lasts MUCH longer than wax. The water still beads up and rolls off my paint after a few months and washes! Also Adam's buttery wax is a good option as is the Chemical guys butter wax (same stuff really CG stuff is cheaper) but they last 1/2 as long as the paint sealant, I use the buttery wax on my truck that is black. Also once the wax or sealant has hazed over, remove it with a CLEAN microfiber rag. I really like the "edgeless" microfibers that The Rag Company sells. They make removing the wax haze a little easier and hold up well to washing.

Personally I'm not much a fan of any "detailing" product you can get at walmart if its to be used on a vehicle I care about. Most of the waxes there are just fillers and dont offer a lot of actual protection. The higher end products really offer much better results and protection. I personally like Chemical guys and Adam's polishes/ premium car care, and dabble with Surf City Garage products as well. The Adam's in and out spray is also killer for keeping the black engine/ transmission/ primary cases looking brand new. I'd urge you to give the higher end stuff a try, and the Chemical guy's products can be had very reasonably though amazon.

Also check out the Adam's car care videos on youtube, they're very helpful and explain more in depth. And NO I do not work for or am affiliated with Adam's.

Last edited by 2500hdon37s; 12-20-2014 at 10:05 PM.
Old 12-20-2014, 10:14 PM
OwnerOfHarriet
Road Master

Where do you get grit guards?

Old 12-20-2014, 10:20 PM
2500hdon37s
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,549 Likes on 667 Posts
Old 12-20-2014, 10:20 PM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 47,783 Likes on 18,559 Posts

Here's a link that might help you out

http://www.autogeek.net/

Old 12-20-2014, 11:33 PM
OwnerOfHarriet
Road Master

Thanks for the all the info -- I have always thought I did a good job with washing vehicles -- my bikes on the other hand have not been so lucky. I really want to make the new bike stand out and since its black, it will take more effort

Old 12-22-2014, 07:24 AM
bmorebhoy
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I use and highly recommend Zainos Brothers products.
http://www.zainostore.com
I have a Vivid Black bike and Zainos makes a great swift remover that fills the tiny scratches in the clear coat. It's best to use their clay bar to get ant debris out first if you use the bike daily like I do. You get a really deep shine with their polish. Check out their products online. They're the best I've found. Their buckets have grit guards.

Old 12-24-2014, 10:15 PM
13Ultra
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bmorebhoy
I use and highly recommend Zainos Brothers products.
http://www.zainostore.com
I have a Vivid Black bike and Zainos makes a great swift remover that fills the tiny scratches in the clear coat. It's best to use their clay bar to get ant debris out first if you use the bike daily like I do. You get a really deep shine with their polish. Check out their products online. They're the best I've found. Their buckets have grit guards.
X2 for the Zaino. I use it on my show car and it's amazing. Get their kit and you will have everything you need.

Quick Reply: Keeping Swirls Out Of Black