Detailing Discuss keeping your bike looking brand new here.

Blue Coral

Old 04-19-2007, 01:41 PM
Sammi
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Blue Coral

Back in the day, Blue Coral wax was the wax to use. As I remember it, the product was a wax, not a polish, and you couldput on several coats for a real deep shine.

Had a '60 black VW - I would wash, polish with Turtle Wax, and add a couple applications of Blue Coral. The car looked great.

Just checked out the Blue Coral website and the products listed was a cleaner/wax, not the straight wax.

When did they stop making the wax?

Is Meguires as good as the old Blue Coral?

Thanks,
Sammi

Old 04-19-2007, 02:04 PM
sleepneagle
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Blue Coral

Meguires has been around for ages. It originally was called Meguires Mirror-Glaze. used to be you could only get it from a franchised dealer/detailer. One of my boyhood friends, his father was a detailer and traveled from one dealer to another detailing cars. He had a FI 57 chevy drop top and a FI 57 Belair, both black with red interiors. Had a Mercedes panel van with dual rear tires. I used to use Classic Car wax it is Carnuba Wax and a good product. All the stuff has changed since color coat/clear coat paint.

Old 04-29-2007, 07:35 PM
Hagar the Horrible
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

they stopped making real wax around the same time they stopped making real paint. (now base/clear)P21 which seems to me to be the same as S100 has a 2 part cleaner and then a wax. The kind you don't let dry you just rub in like the old Blue Coral. If you get it it all polished try turtle wax ICE no cleaner bt good protection especially from dust.

Old 04-29-2007, 07:44 PM
Sammi
Outstanding HDF Member

I tried the Turtle Wax Ice lst year and wasn't crazy about it.

Maybe time to give it another try.

Too bad about the Blue Coral Wax. That was some great stuff (as I remember).

Sammi

Old 04-29-2007, 07:44 PM
Sammi
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: Sammi

I tried the Turtle Wax Ice last year and wasn't crazy about it.

Maybe time to give it another try.

Too bad about the Blue Coral Wax. That was some great stuff (as I remember).

Sammi

Old 04-29-2007, 09:08 PM
Hagar the Horrible
Outstanding HDF Member

I used the Ice on a fiberglass boat, it looked awsome. I went in the house for some water and when I came out it looked like I hadn't done it. I used it on my truck and where it is clean it is great but the surface must be prepped. It has no cleaner to it. I've used it on my 32Ford Black Cherry metallic and it glows. Ok so much for the ICE. S100 has a wax that you rub in after a paintwork cleansing. I like that on small cars or bikes. I use a Meguires cleaner wax for the truck, motorhome, boat, anything of size. I'm kinda lazy that way, or maybe just not as fussy.

Old 04-30-2007, 12:24 PM
3Dog
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: Hagar the Horrible

they stopped making real wax around the same time they stopped making real paint. (now base/clear)P21 which seems to me to be the same as S100 has a 2 part cleaner and then a wax. The kind you don't let dry you just rub in like the old Blue Coral. If you get it it all polished try turtle wax ICE no cleaner bt good protection especially from dust.
You have lost me on some of your posts. Real Paint? Real Wax?
By Real paint do you mean single stage paint?
Also the are plenty of carnauba waxes around and the newer wax formulas which are polymer/carnauba blends (ICE).

Old 04-30-2007, 05:51 PM
Hagar the Horrible
Outstanding HDF Member

Ok, I admit I'm no paint professor but I haven't seen a laquer job in a while. You know the old paint, sand, paint, sand, paint, sand, hand rub jobs. Mostly BC/CC around here. As for the wax I know it still exists and I was referingthe stuff that you rub in until it disapearsas opposed to on, dry, off. Old Blue Coral was a two part prep and wax. I don't know if it was great, but a lot of work.

Now that I haveyour attention. Have you ever heard of P21 products and are they the same or a new name for S100? The bottles and print is exactly the same. The products look identical.

Old 04-30-2007, 08:45 PM
3Dog
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rubbing till it disappears would be a polish...rather an abrassive polish. Letting wax dry is normally for some polymers that need time to bind. Very rarely here at the shop to we use a wax as the only protection. Wax is normally (for us) placed on top of a sealant.
PS21 is marketed to auto and S100 to bikes....i.e. their cleaner for car is PS21 Total Car Cleaner..for bikes it is S100 Total Cycle Cleaner. I have not seen anyone who could tell the difference between S100 and PS21 paste waxes.

Old 05-01-2007, 12:49 PM
Hagar the Horrible
Outstanding HDF Member

Thanks I found out the old fashion way.... went out to garage and read both cans.I didn't think I had any P21 left, so I had asked. New question. I heard that when waxing black you should not do the circle thing but spread out the wax back and forth an entire panel length. any thoughts on this one?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Blue Coral