Detailing Discuss keeping your bike looking brand new here.

Best method of swirl/fine scratch removal

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2006, 09:42 PM
Cryptoboy
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 3,877 Likes on 1,415 Posts
Default Best method of swirl/fine scratch removal

So, I f**ked up, I started using the microfiber towels for my bike, and have cleaned them, but didn't realize they couldn't be dried on high. Went to clean the bike off and noticed fine scratches on the fairing! ARGH! Luckily they are only really noticeable under the flourescent lights in my garage, they're really hard to see in sunlight. However it's bugging the **** out of me, a) that I was dumb not to realize about the microfiber clothes and proper cleaning/use, and b) that I let it happen!

So, what is the best method of getting rid of the swirls? I've been reading alot of different articles and such, and I'm leaning towards the Porter Cable orbital buffer, and going that route. I'm probably going to go that way later though (asking for that from my wife for X-mas!), is there anything I can go now to possibly minimize the fine scratches?

I have The Bomb products (never had problems with it, worked fine for in between washings!) Mequiar's car wash, Scratch-X, yellow wax, and the foam applicators, unused microfiber towels (still in the plastic, away from the ever collecting dust in this state!). I also have the Harley swirl remover, gloss and such too. Am I good to go, or should I have something else?

Old 10-23-2006, 10:20 PM
Beagle1
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Best method of swirl/fine scratch removal

Lots of experience removing paint issues having owned a load of black Arctic Cat sleds. Tree branches scratch 'em up good.

I have had the best luck with the Meguier's Fine Cut Cleaner (#2 ?), Swirl Remover (#9 ?), Professional Polish (#16 ? )and #26 Yellow for a final.

Don't recall all the numbers. I am almost willing to bet the HD swirl remover is the same stuff. Why reinvent the wheel.

I use an orbital I picked up at the local auto parts. It has lasted 6 years doing an F250 Crew Cab, a 66 Mustang, many snowmobiles and now my bike.

Wasn't aware of the care & feeding of those towels though. Have yet to wash any of mine...always seem to get new ones in the car show goody bags, so just kept using new ones. THANKS FOR THE POST!

Old 10-23-2006, 10:30 PM
xxxflhrci
Extreme HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Yep, it you dry them, they shrink and get hard. I wash mine separately from anything else and hang them to dry.

Old 10-24-2006, 12:32 PM
3Dog
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

MF..use less than recommended amount of washing liquid......use white vinegar in the rinse....dry to about 80% of normal time.
If you are removing defects by hand ,ScratchX is the way to go. Your Fine Cut may work but its really formulated for machine use. When you see a polish that has "swirl remover' in its name you can be pretty sure it uses fillers to cover up, not remove.