Detailing Discuss keeping your bike looking brand new here.

HOW to remove smoke odor from leather jacket

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2006, 12:19 PM
marty_marrr
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HOW to remove smoke odor from leather jacket

I need HELP. I just purchased a leather jacket from ebay that reeked of HEAVY smoke. I could not even leave it in the house. In fact after being in the room with the jacket for less than 10 minutes, I started to get a nicotine buzz (I do not smoke). I even had smokers at my work state that the jacket smelt very bad and the previous owner was probably a pipe smoker. I am looking for DIY cleaning methods to remove this odor. The inner liner does not seem to have much of a smoke smell, but you can smell the smoke for the jacket from 30 feet away.
Also I am looking for good leather conditioner for the jacket AS WELL as my leather saddle bags and seat.

Looking for any and ALL suggestions.

Old 11-24-2006, 12:32 PM
HD7585
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: HOW to remove smoke odor from leather jacket

Go to Home Depot and buy a can of odor absorbing gel , comes in a pint size plastic can........Take the lid off the can and place the can and the jacket in a box they will both fit in. seal the box with tape .......Wait 2 or 3 days and odor should be gone. They use this stuff where i work to remove FISH odor from 48' Trailers...........It Works

Old 11-25-2006, 08:10 PM
mrsr71
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't take any chances with home remedies; take it to a professional leather cleaner - nothing else.

Dan

Old 11-25-2006, 08:20 PM
Yellotang
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

We did all the following and nothing worked. Things we tried
1. coffee and leather in a plastic bag for a week.
2. Fabreeze.
3. Airing outside for a week.
4. Dry cleaning.
nothing worked except, and I learned this from the dry cleaning place.

Place the following items in the dryer. 6 dryer sheets, 3 brand new tennis *****, the leather item and then turn the dryer on low or no heat for 45 minutes (May have to be ran twice). That was the only thing to knock the smell out of it. Worked great and was totally shocked.

Old 12-03-2006, 01:24 PM
marty_marrr
Novice

ORIGINAL: Yellotang

We did all the following and nothing worked. Things we tried
1. coffee and leather in a plastic bag for a week.
2. Fabreeze.
3. Airing outside for a week.
4. Dry cleaning.
nothing worked except, and I learned this from the dry cleaning place.

Place the following items in the dryer. 6 dryer sheets, 3 brand new tennis *****, the leather item and then turn the dryer on low or no heat for 45 minutes (May have to be ran twice). That was the only thing to knock the smell out of it. Worked great and was totally shocked.
Yellotang,
U R DA-man. I'll admit when I first read you dryer method, I thought it was crazy. But the more I got to thinking about it, I figure I would try it. It did not get 100% of the smell out, but its a wearable jacket now and after I use some leather cleaner and conditioner on it, I expect to be 100% happy with it. When I first got the jacket I could NOT stay in the same room with it. After letting it air out for 4 days, I could still smell it from 6' away. I sealed up the jacket for 3 days with a large box of baking soda. That got rid of alot of the smoke smell but you could still smell the jacket at close range. After your dryer method, I can bearly smell the smoke, even at point blank range. I actually used about a dozen dryer sheets AND tied dryer sheets around each of the 6 tennis ***** I had. You dryer method works like a charm.

Thanks again
Marty

Old 12-03-2006, 09:06 PM
Yellotang
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I was amazed by it also. Thought, what a whacky idea is that?!? But it seemed to work great.
Glad to hear that you can at least stand it now!

Old 12-03-2006, 11:22 PM
cowboy Harry
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hey , that was probaly better than the Mythbusters using Vodka to get the smell off.[8D]

Old 12-05-2006, 01:15 AM
Jim Dawson
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

ORIGINAL: cowboy Harry

hey , that was probaly better than the Mythbusters using Vodka to get the smell off.[8D]
That's because you're using the vodka incorrectly. You DRINK the vodka, then you can't notice the smell.

Jim

Old 03-11-2009, 04:14 AM
surya-jr
Stage I

Originally Posted by marty_marrr
Yellotang,
U R DA-man. I'll admit when I first read you dryer method, I thought it was crazy. But the more I got to thinking about it, I figure I would try it. It did not get 100% of the smell out, but its a wearable jacket now and after I use some leather cleaner and conditioner on it, I expect to be 100% happy with it. When I first got the jacket I could NOT stay in the same room with it. After letting it air out for 4 days, I could still smell it from 6' away. I sealed up the jacket for 3 days with a large box of baking soda. That got rid of alot of the smoke smell but you could still smell the jacket at close range. After your dryer method, I can bearly smell the smoke, even at point blank range. I actually used about a dozen dryer sheets AND tied dryer sheets around each of the 6 tennis ***** I had. You dryer method works like a charm.

Thanks again
Marty

hi, what is the use of the tennis *****?

Old 03-11-2009, 07:49 PM
joromu
Tourer

I would have used a gallon of gasoline and a match.

Quick Reply: HOW to remove smoke odor from leather jacket