Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums > This 'n' That > Detailing
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search


Detailing Discuss keeping your bike looking brand new here.

Welcome to HDForums.com!

Reply
 
 
 
P
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 11-24-2006, 12:19 PM
marty_marrr marty_marrr is offline
Hang Around
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location:
Posts: 20
Default HOW to remove smoke odor from leather jacket

I need HELP. I just purchased a leather jacket from ebay that reeked of HEAVY smoke. I could not even leave it in the house. In fact after being in the room with the jacket for less than 10 minutes, I started to get a nicotine buzz (I do not smoke). I even had smokers at my work state that the jacket smelt very bad and the previous owner was probably a pipe smoker. I am looking for DIY cleaning methods to remove this odor. The inner liner does not seem to have much of a smoke smell, but you can smell the smoke for the jacket from 30 feet away.
Also I am looking for good leather conditioner for the jacket AS WELL as my leather saddle bags and seat.

Looking for any and ALL suggestions.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 11-24-2006, 12:32 PM
HD7585's Avatar
HD7585 HD7585 is offline
Outstanding HDF Member
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: NJ
Posts: 3,120
Default RE: HOW to remove smoke odor from leather jacket

Go to Home Depot and buy a can of odor absorbing gel , comes in a pint size plastic can........Take the lid off the can and place the can and the jacket in a box they will both fit in. seal the box with tape .......Wait 2 or 3 days and odor should be gone. They use this stuff where i work to remove FISH odor from 48' Trailers...........It Works
__________________
85 FXST Belts are for Pants...If it said custom when you bought it..it ain't.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11-25-2006, 08:10 PM
mrsr71's Avatar
mrsr71 mrsr71 is offline
Outstanding HDF Member
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Santa Clarita
Posts: 2,657
Default RE: HOW to remove smoke odor from leather jacket

Don't take any chances with home remedies; take it to a professional leather cleaner - nothing else.

Dan
__________________


2007 Street Glide, PCIII, V&H Dresser Duals, Ovals, SE Heavy A/C, Wheeldock, Chrome, Cruise & XM
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11-25-2006, 08:20 PM
Yellotang's Avatar
Yellotang Yellotang is offline
Cochino Mediador
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Pasco, Washington
Posts: 5,131
Default RE: HOW to remove smoke odor from leather jacket

We did all the following and nothing worked. Things we tried
1. coffee and leather in a plastic bag for a week.
2. Fabreeze.
3. Airing outside for a week.
4. Dry cleaning.
nothing worked except, and I learned this from the dry cleaning place.

Place the following items in the dryer. 6 dryer sheets, 3 brand new tennis *****, the leather item and then turn the dryer on low or no heat for 45 minutes (May have to be ran twice). That was the only thing to knock the smell out of it. Worked great and was totally shocked.
__________________

Operation Desert Shield/Desert Storm Vet.
Alpha Company 8th / 101st Airborne Division
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 12-03-2006, 01:24 PM
marty_marrr marty_marrr is offline
Hang Around
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location:
Posts: 20
Default RE: HOW to remove smoke odor from leather jacket


Quote:
ORIGINAL: Yellotang

We did all the following and nothing worked. Things we tried
1. coffee and leather in a plastic bag for a week.
2. Fabreeze.
3. Airing outside for a week.
4. Dry cleaning.
nothing worked except, and I learned this from the dry cleaning place.

Place the following items in the dryer. 6 dryer sheets, 3 brand new tennis *****, the leather item and then turn the dryer on low or no heat for 45 minutes (May have to be ran twice). That was the only thing to knock the smell out of it. Worked great and was totally shocked.
Yellotang,
U R DA-man. I'll admit when I first read you dryer method, I thought it was crazy. But the more I got to thinking about it, I figure I would try it. It did not get 100% of the smell out, but its a wearable jacket now and after I use some leather cleaner and conditioner on it, I expect to be 100% happy with it. When I first got the jacket I could NOT stay in the same room with it. After letting it air out for 4 days, I could still smell it from 6' away. I sealed up the jacket for 3 days with a large box of baking soda. That got rid of alot of the smoke smell but you could still smell the jacket at close range. After your dryer method, I can bearly smell the smoke, even at point blank range. I actually used about a dozen dryer sheets AND tied dryer sheets around each of the 6 tennis ***** I had. You dryer method works like a charm.

Thanks again
Marty
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 12-03-2006, 09:06 PM
Yellotang's Avatar
Yellotang Yellotang is offline
Cochino Mediador
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Pasco, Washington
Posts: 5,131
Default RE: HOW to remove smoke odor from leather jacket

I was amazed by it also. Thought, what a whacky idea is that?!? But it seemed to work great.
Glad to hear that you can at least stand it now!
__________________

Operation Desert Shield/Desert Storm Vet.
Alpha Company 8th / 101st Airborne Division
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 12-03-2006, 11:22 PM
cowboy Harry cowboy Harry is offline
Road Warrior
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Knoxville TN
Posts: 1,474
Default RE: HOW to remove smoke odor from leather jacket

hey , that was probaly better than the Mythbusters using Vodka to get the smell off.[8D]
__________________
tomuchstillaintenuff
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 12-05-2006, 01:15 AM
Jim Dawson's Avatar
Jim Dawson Jim Dawson is offline
Ultimate HDF Member
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: East Alton, IL
Posts: 7,237
Default RE: HOW to remove smoke odor from leather jacket


Quote:
ORIGINAL: cowboy Harry

hey , that was probaly better than the Mythbusters using Vodka to get the smell off.[8D]
That's because you're using the vodka incorrectly. You DRINK the vodka, then you can't notice the smell.

Jim
__________________

'08 Electra Glide Classic - now almost an Ultra
'01 XL883C with 1200 kit
'93 Yamaha Vmax (recently sold)
Member - NRA

"If at first you don't succeed.........maybe you just suck!"
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 03-11-2009, 04:14 AM
surya-jr surya-jr is offline
Hang Around
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by marty_marrr View Post
Yellotang,
U R DA-man. I'll admit when I first read you dryer method, I thought it was crazy. But the more I got to thinking about it, I figure I would try it. It did not get 100% of the smell out, but its a wearable jacket now and after I use some leather cleaner and conditioner on it, I expect to be 100% happy with it. When I first got the jacket I could NOT stay in the same room with it. After letting it air out for 4 days, I could still smell it from 6' away. I sealed up the jacket for 3 days with a large box of baking soda. That got rid of alot of the smoke smell but you could still smell the jacket at close range. After your dryer method, I can bearly smell the smoke, even at point blank range. I actually used about a dozen dryer sheets AND tied dryer sheets around each of the 6 tennis ***** I had. You dryer method works like a charm.

Thanks again
Marty

hi, what is the use of the tennis *****?
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 03-11-2009, 07:49 PM
joromu's Avatar
joromu joromu is offline
Senior Rider
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 371
Default

I would have used a gallon of gasoline and a match.
Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 07:49 PM
 
 
 
P
Reply

Tags
coat, dryer, fish, jacket, leather, leathet, nicotine, odor, odors, remedies, remove, removing, smell, smoke, smoky


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump

Advertising
Featured Sponsors
Vendor Directory
Sponsors

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:00 PM.


Internet Brands, Inc.



Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1