Detailing Discuss keeping your bike looking brand new here.

Wipe Gas Tank With Paper Towels

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2007, 02:26 AM
kolja
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Wipe Gas Tank With Paper Towels

I'm in the let it dry crowd... as dry as it is here, and with the LOW elevations being 4,000' MSL it evaporates almost before I could wipe it off anyway...

Old 06-13-2007, 06:14 PM
Todd T
Tourer

ORIGINAL: iowacruiser

I would rather take my bride's tshirt off to wipe the tank.
OOOh, can I ride with you next time you fill up

I use a paper towel to set my cap on while I fill up but try to be careful enough to not spill any gas on the tank. I hold a second towel in my hand and wrap the nozzle with it while I hoist it over the paint.

Old 06-13-2007, 06:52 PM
KeithB
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I carry micro fiber rags in my bag. but a little gas, i just let it evaporate

Old 06-13-2007, 07:36 PM
stubby
Road Captain

Harley Gloss. A few coats on tank. Gas just drys.

Old 06-19-2007, 03:13 AM
thumper 29
Outstanding HDF Member

If I ever do that I would not use a paper towel! I guess to blot the thing would be ok in a pinch.
I would just blot, or just not do anything....usually keep a good wax on mine anyway.
The only time anything gets rubbed across my paint is with either a soft wax applicator, or a soft thick
white towel.
I am always very careful to turn the nozzle up before and then turning it down into the tank opening
before and after I fuel.

Old 06-27-2007, 11:48 AM
BrewGod
Advanced

The answer is simple. Don't spill gas on your bike. When you take the hose out, cup your hand under it. No gas on your bike...

Old 07-20-2007, 07:42 PM
str8pipe
Advanced

i put my hand under the end incase it drips. i also wait a few seconds before removing the nozzle to try to get every drip possible know a days. i would never wipe with paper towel. if i do have to wipe up a drip or two i use the inside bottom of my shirt. big spills don't happen often but when they do i let them dry and wash and wax after.

Old 12-17-2013, 09:48 AM
The Tank Towel
Stage II
Default Safely, Cleanly Refill Fuels and Fluids

Protect Your Vehicle with
The Tank Towel
Safely, Cleanly Refill Fuels and Fluids

The Tank Towel is a unique kit designed to protect surrounding areas from splash-back and perpetual dripping when refueling vehicles. The caustic fuel that contact’s painted surfaces damages the clear coat over the paint, and eventually the paint, when wiped off. Gradually the finish will dull and yellow. You also avoid accidentally scratching your paint with the metal nozzle. It can be used to mitigate spillage and dripping when transferring fluids of any liquid dependent machinery: Automobiles, Motorcycles, Trucks, Marine Craft, Tractors, Engine Compartments, ATV’s, Scooters, Lawn Equipment, and Industrial & Commercial Equipment & Machinery.It also has a green factor with regards to boating, by avoiding spilling fuel into and contaminating our waters.

For more information, photo’s of The Tank Towel in use, to make a purchase from the “Standard” line; for Customizing a Tank Towel or a towel of any material, color, size, or logo; to accommodate a particular machine or spillage issue, for resale, promotion or as a complimentary gift; or to inquire of an investment opportunity, visit: THETANKTOWEL.COM

Old 11-24-2014, 12:21 AM
dforeid
Road Captain
Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Grey Biker
You would be supprised how many times I have ben in a gas station and seen another biker getting fuel . They have the fuel nozzle in one hand and holding the spout with a paper towel in the other. I'm amazed at how many when done fueling will hang up the nozzle then take the paper towel and wipe around the fill cap if not the entire area around the cap. This brings me to the point, Scratches, How many post do you read wanting to know how to remove scratches, it's easy, don't wipe your bike with paper towels. HELLO..........
Another fun one is watching people grab the squeegee out of the bucket and go to town on their windshield bugs with both arms into it.

Old 11-24-2014, 09:05 AM
hvacgaspiping
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 16,205 Likes on 8,361 Posts

Originally Posted by taylor104
Here in the UK we don't spill petrol on our bikes when filling.... It's too bl**dy expensive!!!!!
AJ
I don`t either, and I`m in the USA. If, on rare occasion, I happen to spill a little I just leave it alone to evaporate. It doesn`t show that much, and will be removed with the next wash job.

Quick Reply: Wipe Gas Tank With Paper Towels