Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Change

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2014, 10:26 AM
Tailpipe
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Change

Looking on line for a solution to rid my 2010 96 cubic engine of all the old oil when doing a service. I saw scavenger kits and also called Harley Service. I was told by them why bother, they didn't. At around $125.00 for an oil change you would think they would. I do my own. Any suggestions to solve this problem. Thought about air pressure through the filter but I do not think that would help.

Old 09-18-2014, 10:35 AM
tomt
Road Master
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by hudmiester
Looking on line for a solution to rid my 2010 96 cubic engine of all the old oil when doing a service. I saw scavenger kits and also called Harley Service. I was told by them why bother, they didn't. At around $125.00 for an oil change you would think they would. I do my own. Any suggestions to solve this problem. Thought about air pressure through the filter but I do not think that would help.

Using air to push out the left over oil you could blow out some seals.

Old 09-18-2014, 10:56 AM
MysticTraveler
Road Captain
Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

A "complete" oil change makes sense to me, and is what I do. If that's your goal too, I don't think you can do much better than the oil scavenger kits made by Rogue Chopper. If you search the forum, you will also see how you can build your own scavenger kit for low $'s.

A lot of folks don't think it is necessary. But if I'm going to change my oil... and put in a top shelf brand... I like to change it all.

Old 09-18-2014, 10:59 AM
hvacgaspiping
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 16,235 Likes on 8,376 Posts

Get this:http://www.summitracing.com/parts/PRM-111/

You will also need some clear plastic 3/8" I.D. tubing and two 1/2" NPT plugs. Google the video for oil scavenging on a Harley. The video is from a firm which sells this scavenging kit for approx. $70, but with the above parts you can get what you need for less than $20. You won`t need the special tool to remove the return oil line in which you will install your plastic tubing. Just use care and finesse when removing the line from the oil tank. The video is pretty clear on how to do this scavenging and graphically shows the clean oil when the engine is flushed of dirty oil.

Old 09-18-2014, 12:38 PM
Mascman
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's really not necessary unless you just enjoy tinkering with it.

Old 09-18-2014, 12:44 PM
hvacgaspiping
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 16,235 Likes on 8,376 Posts

Originally Posted by Mascman
It`s really not a big deal. What its does for me is that it starts out with clean oil, and I can view the progressing color of the oil as the miles accumulate. This gives me an idea of how well the oil is lubricating over time, plus some idea of the quality of the oil.

Old 09-18-2014, 01:10 PM
maddghost
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Mascman
Agreed!

However, that being said if you want an easy way to chase all the old oil out - proceed with a normal oil change, fill with 2/12 to 3quarts of new oil and before you install the new filter remove the spark plugs and crank the engine until the oil no longer comes out black.

Replace filter, check level-That's it!

Old 09-18-2014, 07:11 PM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter

Received 4,299 Likes on 2,353 Posts

Which makes me think, how do I get ALL the dirty oil out of my car engine when it's changed.

Old 09-18-2014, 07:37 PM
Sharpie
Road Warrior
Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

I use the scavenger system on my 09 96" dyna. Some say why bother but then bitch when someone says to use something beside Harley this or that. Do what make you feel good. It's your money and your time. I enjoy changing my own tires as it gives me time to really clean the wheels and check other things that the shops just do not take the time to check for.

I bought my scavenger from a forum member who traded bikes and it no longer worked for his new bike. I also use Ward's Fans and some say if the Moco Engineers had seen a need to cool the engine they would have put fans on it at the factory. I like to run at 239 degrees or less and not at 320 degrees as I've seen before.