Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wanna move up to a wide glide. I am 5' 7"

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2014, 05:42 PM
hitman1267
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Wanna move up to a wide glide. I am 5' 7"

I want to move up from a sportster forty eight. I have test drove a wide glide and it felt a little long for my short legs. I don't know if I am just gonna look weird on it. May be a new seat or handle bars can fix this? Any short wide glide riders out there?

Old 09-20-2014, 05:57 PM
Pistonman1
Road Captain
Received 42 Likes on 23 Posts

You can get reduced reach forwards, footboards, pullback risers, reduced reach seat, shorter shocks, or any combination of those. You are plenty tall enough.

Old 09-20-2014, 05:58 PM
Navarre
Club Member
Received 66 Likes on 17 Posts

I am 5' 7' and I have no problem reaching the front controls of my Wide Glide. Part of the Wide Glide's appeal is the slightly stretched profile you get, just like you were riding a chopper. It did take a couple of hours of riding time to get used to the front controls versus the floorboards of my old Electra Glide but I wouldn't trade my Glide for anything now.

If you like the way the ride feels, Go For It!

Navarre

Old 09-20-2014, 06:04 PM
Sling Blade 14
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,789 Likes on 931 Posts

Most of rider ergonomics is based on the things you listed as a combination or one or two adjustments.
There are seats that move you slightly forward in position or back, there's forward foot control designs for everybody, and handlebar types to make the whole rider/bike synergy work.
If you still have doubts, rent a WG for the day from a dealer and see how you feel after.

Old 09-20-2014, 06:06 PM
mmcbeat
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I suggest you try thick soled boots first. Sometimes the simplest solution is the best.

Old 09-20-2014, 06:17 PM
IdahoHacker
Club Member

Received 2,953 Likes on 1,685 Posts

Always remember, any problem can be fixed with an unlimited amount of money.

Yes, you can buy reduced reach seats, new control parts that move the pegs and controls to the rear, new handlebar risers, new bars with more pullback, etc., etc..

Or, you can find a Super Glide with mid controls and take it for a ride. Might be a good idea.

Old 09-20-2014, 06:23 PM
dyna bomb
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by IdahoHacker
Always remember, any problem can be fixed with an unlimited amount of money.

Yes, you can buy reduced reach seats, new control parts that move the pegs and controls to the rear, new handlebar risers, new bars with more pullback, etc., etc..

Or, you can find a Super Glide with mid controls and take it for a ride. Might be a good idea.
True story! I'm 5'7 and have the lowrider. Try it out it fit's like a glove plus the adjustable seat and bars!

Old 09-20-2014, 08:33 PM
JohnnyRebKY
Road Master
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by hitman1267
I want to move up from a sportster forty eight. I have test drove a wide glide and it felt a little long for my short legs. I don't know if I am just gonna look weird on it. May be a new seat or handle bars can fix this? Any short wide glide riders out there?
Ok so are you concerned about looking weird, or the feel? Lol

Looking to big for the bike is not fixable, but looking to small for the bike isn't a problem. It's possible it just feels huge after riding the 48. After some time it won't feel so massive.

How can handlebars fix a leg problem?

Sorry man just busting you ***** a little. If leg reach is the only problem then that's a easy fix. Ride it until you get used to it, or reduce the controls. I think we all have to change something when we get a new bike so at least you know your first mod. I think reduced controls will be cheaper than buying a seat to move you forward. But I do think it's highly possible you won't feel the same after some time. Getting off a 48 and onto a WG is a major change in feel. A little seat time and you may feel just fine with it

Good luck man. wide glide is a cool ride. I ride a 2002

Old 09-20-2014, 10:45 PM
jmb79
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I know a couple of guys about the op's height that have wide glides with forward controls. Neither has ever mentioned wanting mid controls or reduced reach forwards. My guess is that it's just a matter of getting used to the new position.

Old 09-21-2014, 12:29 AM
dav500
Cruiser
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm 5' 7" and have a 2004 low rider. It had forwards on it when I bought it, and I could not get used to them. So I put the mids back on, and it fit much better.

The wide glide is a sweet ride, I looked at them too.
The earlier boot suggestion is a good one too.

I guess I like the mids because I feel more staybil with my feet under me.
Ride both styles if you can, you'll know then. Good luck

Quick Reply: Wanna move up to a wide glide. I am 5' 7"