Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

shovelhead nacelle on wideglide trees finished

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2014, 07:59 PM
Robtarra39
Road Warrior
Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts
Default shovelhead nacelle on wideglide trees finished

Today I got done installing the Nacelle on my stock Dyna wideglide trees. nice thing was the top tree was perfect for the nacelle and no mods needed, the challenge was the bottom tree, I could have bought an old 60-84 lower tree and mod the fork stops but I wanted to keep the stock fork stops and lock and I didn't want the cow bells as I am using fork boots. Anyhow I had to come up with way to attach the lower portion of the nacelle to the lower tree as the stock lower has no mounting points like the old shovel trees have. I made my own mount out of 1 inch by 3/32th stock , then I drilled a hole at one end to mount it to the lower pinch bolt using a spacer to push it out, after I had it mounted to the lower pinch bolt I bent it around the lower tree towards the front of the bike .installed the nacelle and marked where I need to weld a nut on the bracket on just made, I did NOT use fatboy or heritage trees

Here is a pic of the bracket I made, so now I have a mounting point without damaging my stock chrome lower tree

Here is a pic of the finished bike, I think I need to move over to the FL Dyna group

Last edited by Robtarra39; 09-21-2014 at 08:02 PM.
Old 09-21-2014, 08:22 PM
GeorgeJ
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Robtarra39
Today I got done installing the Nacelle on my stock Dyna wideglide trees. nice thing was the top tree was perfect for the nacelle and no mods needed, the challenge was the bottom tree, I could have bought an old 60-84 lower tree and mod the fork stops but I wanted to keep the stock fork stops and lock and I didn't want the cow bells as I am using fork boots. Anyhow I had to come up with way to attach the lower portion of the nacelle to the lower tree as the stock lower has no mounting points like the old shovel trees have. I made my own mount out of 1 inch by 3/32th stock , then I drilled a hole at one end to mount it to the lower pinch bolt using a spacer to push it out, after I had it mounted to the lower pinch bolt I bent it around the lower tree towards the front of the bike .installed the nacelle and marked where I need to weld a nut on the bracket on just made, I did NOT use fatboy or heritage trees

Here is a pic of the bracket I made, so now I have a mounting point without damaging my stock chrome lower tree

Here is a pic of the finished bike, I think I need to move over to the FL Dyna group

Very Nice! Great look - Just finished putting the 7" headlight on my 01' but that Nacelle is the look!. Maybe you know somebody with a visor that they're looking to part with
George

Old 09-21-2014, 08:25 PM
Robtarra39
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by GeorgeJ
Very Nice! Great look - Just finished putting the 7" headlight on my 01' but that Nacelle is the look!. Maybe you know somebody with a visor that they're looking to part with
George

I have a visor headlight trim ring up for grabs, send me private msg and we can work something out

Old 09-22-2014, 07:26 AM
02fx4dude
Road Master
Received 251 Likes on 130 Posts

That's awesome! It's all about figuring how to make it work and looks like you did a good job. Will the mounting allow you to use other accessories made for the FL softails like lightbar or windshield?

Old 09-22-2014, 07:28 AM
LIMITLESS
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thats awesome. Great job!

Old 09-22-2014, 07:45 AM
Architect
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,911 Likes on 2,559 Posts

That came out great, good re-purpose of old parts.

Old 09-22-2014, 08:37 AM
zachpeed
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what would it cost to have you make another? i've been looking for a nacelle for my dyna for awhile.

Old 09-22-2014, 02:39 PM
Dyna_Bagger85
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Man I've been thinking for a long time to do this. Now I definitely want to! Is there much of a difference between Fat Bob trees and Night Train trees?

Old 09-22-2014, 03:25 PM
Robtarra39
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by 02fx4dude
That's awesome! It's all about figuring how to make it work and looks like you did a good job. Will the mounting allow you to use other accessories made for the FL softails like lightbar or windshield?

Answer is yes, because I used the stock mounting holes on the Nacelle, I can install the light bar and windshield if needed, but the softail ones won't work as I used a 60-84 nacelle, so any of the roadkings or big touring bikes will work

Old 09-22-2014, 03:27 PM
Robtarra39
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Dyna_Bagger85
Man I've been thinking for a long time to do this. Now I definitely want to! Is there much of a difference between Fat Bob trees and Night Train trees?

if memory serves me right Fatbob trees could work, only difference is you would have to drill and tap the top tree to make a place to bolt the top portion of the nacelle, but not sure of all this

Quick Reply: shovelhead nacelle on wideglide trees finished