Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust woes in CA

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2014, 11:11 AM
BigDogIdaho
Grand HDF Member
Received 187 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by 4_stroke
You may be able to get someone to fit them if they have a waver form saying you are not going to ride the bike on public highways. A catalyst model as your is could be an issue though as it may be subject to emissions testing rather than just noise.

Maybe even try asking a dealer....? They might be able to tell you someone who will do it. The shop space rental sounds cool too. Parking lots are not out of the question either though. I did a fuel pump on a blazer in the gas station parking lot one time. 4 hour job, didn't want to pay to have it towed home. If you do want to try the parking lot route go for something like a Walmart. That way you can do it out further from the store so they probably won't complain.

Old 09-22-2014, 11:46 AM
Beetroot McKinnley
Advanced
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for the replies guys. Motoshop sounds awesome! I'm going to look into that right now.

Old 09-22-2014, 07:15 PM
06Sporty75
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

also be warned that V&H pipes are very loud, especially the short shots, you may not want something that loud. You may be happier with just slip-on mufflers which are easier to install, completely legal, and any shop should do it. also they are cheaper and you wouldn't have to get tuned either saving you a lot more money.

exhaust install should be very easy, we're talking less than a 1 hour job.

Last edited by 06Sporty75; 09-22-2014 at 07:18 PM.
Old 09-22-2014, 07:21 PM
CACruiserHD
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have short shots with quiet baffles and HardKore baffles in them. It's not too loud, sounds just right.

They are pretty easy to put on and you only need a few tools. I mean seriously, go get a basic tool set at harborfreight for $25. I mean its a Harley, you're gonna need tools.

Where are you in CA ? I am in so calif.

Old 09-22-2014, 08:30 PM
nathanw
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What a great business idea in an urban area. Brilliant.

Originally Posted by kreeess
Beetroot,there is this DIY shop in SF its called Motoshop, you pretty much rent the space/tools etc its a nice clean shop with ALL the tools you would need including a lift. although they will not install it themselves but they are willing to lend out a hand if needed, also the forum is a big help in any upcoming projects for you. Installing SS is fairly easy I have them on my 14SB took me 30 mins to install, PM me if you have any questions.

Ps. Dont be afraid to work on your own ride its half of the fun!

Old 09-22-2014, 08:50 PM
Thingfish
Grand HDF Member
Received 911 Likes on 662 Posts

+1 for the DIY shop. Not too hard to do yourself and lots of YouTube vids to watch so you can get the gist of it first.

Old 09-22-2014, 11:55 PM
IdahoHacker
Club Member

Received 2,953 Likes on 1,685 Posts

I believe that a 2014 Dyna has catalytic converters in the mufflers. I know my Super Glide does. If you go to non-cat mufflers, and they're loud enough to get noticed, you could be facing some serious fines. Motorcycles are subject to emission testing in CA. Disabling or removing emission control devices is not a simple ticket. I think the fines can be over a thousand dollars.

While Screamin' Eagle parts are generally laughed at, in California they are a viable option. If you put SE slipons on your bike with the stock air cleaner and a tune, you'll get a little more rumble, and a little more power, and they're legal. Just a thought.

Old 09-23-2014, 12:34 AM
fxrnutt
Tourer
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Bikes are NOT smogged in Cal.....not yet anyway.
Originally Posted by IdahoHacker
I believe that a 2014 Dyna has catalytic converters in the mufflers. I know my Super Glide does. If you go to non-cat mufflers, and they're loud enough to get noticed, you could be facing some serious fines. Motorcycles are subject to emission testing in CA. Disabling or removing emission control devices is not a simple ticket. I think the fines can be over a thousand dollars.

While Screamin' Eagle parts are generally laughed at, in California they are a viable option. If you put SE slipons on your bike with the stock air cleaner and a tune, you'll get a little more rumble, and a little more power, and they're legal. Just a thought.

Old 09-23-2014, 12:47 AM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,254 Likes on 11,139 Posts

Clarifications for a few posters. Motorcycles ARE NOT currently subjected to emission testing in California. Nor do they check equipment, or do any testing, upon registering an out of state motorcycle in CA. They only do a VIN upon registering an out of state motorcycle.

But, IMHO...and I have a lot of them, excessively loud pipes can draw attention from the LEOs. That could result in a citation...but is subjective. Why push it, if they will find other non-compliance than simple noise.

Old 09-23-2014, 01:23 AM
DanDman
Road Warrior
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

+1 on using the facilities at MotoShop for the install. CARB has been snooping around local shops checking paper work etc. If I was you I would hang on to the stock exhaust, air cleaner in case they do start emission testing or if you get a fix it ticket.

Quick Reply: Exhaust woes in CA