Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My new FXDF!

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2014, 06:29 PM
bdtaylor1979
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 228 Likes on 186 Posts

Nice bike, congrats! I have a super glide(fxd) but like the fatbobs more. The only reason I got my super glide is because I got a good deal on it. I kinda wish I would have waited for a fatbob.

Old 09-22-2014, 06:44 PM
IdahoHacker
Club Member

Received 2,953 Likes on 1,685 Posts

Love fatties, but I'm a mid-control guy.

Old 09-22-2014, 07:38 PM
Antonio Balls
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,638 Likes on 784 Posts
Default Masterful

Sharkman you did good! Great choices all around. I know you were loking for an all black pipe but as luck would have it the chrome headers with the carbon fiber can is perfect. Ride it like you stole it!
BTW, how do you think the new cams would perform on a 96 cu.in. engine?

Old 09-22-2014, 10:49 PM
Tufel
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Congrats on the new bike and thanks for the write up on the mods.

Old 09-23-2014, 07:55 AM
Sharkman73
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by HD Pilot
Those charts work, thanks! Totally agree with you on the max #s comment, the area under all the curve is what counts. I was just worried that the Bob Cat being a somewhat shorter pipe might have a torque dip like my Bassani's and other short pipes like the V&H Competition ones. I don't see that at all - looks great! Enjoy!
Yeah, there is actually less dip than there was with my Fatcat...really no dip with the Bobcat. Although my tuner said the dip in the graphs on the Fatcat on my last bikes was mostly due to me choosing the Big Boar baffle with it.
I'm really impressed with the 5-6 & Bobcat on the charts & on the street/road....it's a beast!

Old 09-23-2014, 08:00 AM
Sharkman73
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Antonio *****
Sharkman you did good! Great choices all around. I know you were loking for an all black pipe but as luck would have it the chrome headers with the carbon fiber can is perfect. Ride it like you stole it!
BTW, how do you think the new cams would perform on a 96 cu.in. engine?
Same here....I'm glad as luck would have it that I ended up with a chrome pipe & carbon fiber can....it fits the bike and breaks it up a little to match the few small chrome bits on the other side. I couldn't be happier!
As far as the cams...I would recommend the Wood 5-6 for a 96 or 103...results are going to be similar, just a little less with the 96, but close.
My tuner has installed about every cam imaginable, and these are his favorite. I loved the 222s, but the 5-6 is even better. You would be very happy with the 5-6 in combination with a D&D pipe. Go for it!

If you go with the Wood 5-6 cams, and either a D&D Fatcat or Bobcat on your 96, I'm guessing your peak numbers are going to be 86-88hp, and 96-100tq....depending on who tunes your bike & the conditions. It will transform the bike man, I'm telling ya! The thing is that the peak numbers don't tell the whole story...this combination makes over 100 ft/lb of torque from 3,000-almost 4,500 and holds on & the hp curve is a stead climb with no peaks. In summary, it pulls hard from the beginning all the way through. My curves look about as good as it gets!

Last edited by Sharkman73; 09-23-2014 at 08:07 AM.
Old 09-23-2014, 01:52 PM
HD Pilot
Elite HDF Member
Received 55 Likes on 47 Posts

Just thought of another question; the Bob Cats look a lot lighter than the Fat Cats - what did you notice?

Old 09-23-2014, 02:39 PM
Sharkman73
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by HD Pilot
Just thought of another question; the Bob Cats look a lot lighter than the Fat Cats - what did you notice?
I've had both pipes in my arms...the bobcat is lighter. Don't know weights of each, but the bobcat seems noticeably lighter picking it up. Compared to the stock system, both are light, lol!

Old 09-29-2014, 08:27 AM
Sharkman73
Outstanding HDF Member

Just a little update after owning & riding the new bike for a week now...
I managed to get 400 miles on it in the first week, so I have a better feel for how it performs and rides/handles now.

I'm super impressed, both with the bike itself and with the performance mods I chose. The Bobcat sounds awesome and I love the looks. The combination of the pipe & the 5-6 cams just flat out performs! I haven't been beating on it, but hard enough to feel what it is capable of. Rolling on the throttle at any rpm or speed just pulls hard and throws you back in the seat. It's a beast!

As far as the rest of the bike....the wide front tire & wide trees make it handle excellent! Although my FXDC handled well too, the FXDF outhandles it in the corners by a long shot, and it's super stable.

One thing I have noticed....on my FXDC I turned the factory rear shocks up to the "4" setting, as I prefer a firmer ride. I did this on my FXDF also and it feels a little more harsh. It's also a little more harsh in the front end as well. I'm sure part of the front end is the fact that the factory air pressure on that tire is 36, as opposed to 30 on the FXDC, plus there is more weight in the front due to the heavier tire and another rotor & caliper. Like I said, it does feel a little more harsh, but at the same time more planted and more stable if that makes sense.

Think I may turn the back shocks down to 3 and see how that feels. They were on 2 from the factory, and that felt too soft....3 should be a happy medium. Wife hasn't been on it with me yet, so I'll know more when that happens.

Another note...the seat. I love the factory seat for the most part. It's very supportive & comfortable compared to most factory seats. For shorter rides, it's great! However, I did a full fuel tank run without stopping on Saturday and it was starting to give me a little discomfort in the back of my thighs. Think it's due to the fact that it's not super wide and is a somewhat softer seat. I kept my Corbin Dual Tour, which won't look right on this bike, but think it may be necessary to throw it on if I'm going to be riding any distance.

Anyway, hope to get some more miles racked up this week while the weather is still nice in Illinois....looks like it's going to somewhat turn to **** next weekend. Hope to get to 1,000 as quick as possible and get the break-in service done in the next couple weeks if things go as planned and I can get seat time in.

Last edited by Sharkman73; 09-29-2014 at 08:53 AM.
Old 09-29-2014, 08:37 AM
HD Pilot
Elite HDF Member
Received 55 Likes on 47 Posts

Good to read the update. I ran on the #2 setting solo and #5 setting 2 up on the stock shocks, but they are history now... The front end will probably drive you crazy first, harsh and just "ragged" performance - just seems very sketchy and unpredictable. Running the Ricor Intiminators in them now, and planning on the Traxxion straight rate spring as a future mod. Ride is much more stable and predictable with the Intiminators.

Quick Reply: My new FXDF!