Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clutch cable needs repeated adjusting

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2014, 02:48 PM
Silvio
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Clutch cable needs repeated adjusting

The clutch cable has slipped and required re-adjusting on my 2013 Street Bob three or four times now since I installed Oberon levers back in February. Last night was the latest.

I am pretty sure I've adjusted it correctly and tightened it down well each time, though I'm going make sure when I go over it again this afternoon.

Assuming it's not operator error, why would it go loose every now and then? It'll be fine then just suddenly be wrong.

The only other variables I can imagine besides the actual cable adjustment is the lever and the clutch itself.

I was thinking if it happens again after I adjust it today, I'll check the clutch adjustment.

The lever looks pretty straightforward, with nothing there I can figure is causing the problem, but that could be wrong.

I would sure appreciate any helpful suggestions.

Old 09-23-2014, 05:04 PM
Robtarra39
Road Warrior
Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts

Is the locknut tightened against the correct nut on the cable, and did you adjust the clutch under the derby cover, maybe that jam nut is not tight enough

Old 09-23-2014, 07:27 PM
slyedog
Elite HDF Member
Received 272 Likes on 185 Posts

Originally Posted by Silvio
The clutch cable has slipped and required re-adjusting on my 2013 Street Bob three or four times now since I installed Oberon levers back in February. Last night was the latest.

I am pretty sure I've adjusted it correctly and tightened it down well each time, though I'm going make sure when I go over it again this afternoon.

Assuming it's not operator error, why would it go loose every now and then? It'll be fine then just suddenly be wrong.

The only other variables I can imagine besides the actual cable adjustment is the lever and the clutch itself.

I was thinking if it happens again after I adjust it today, I'll check the clutch adjustment.

The lever looks pretty straightforward, with nothing there I can figure is causing the problem, but that could be wrong.

I would sure appreciate any helpful suggestions.
they go hand in hand. Pull your derby cover and adjust the travel cc 1/2 to 1 turn after you feel resistance turning clockwise. Better have a 11/16 Around for jamb but. Never adjust cable only.

Old 09-23-2014, 09:27 PM
Silvio
Tourer

Aha.

It's supposed to rain the next couple of days, so perfect time to dig into it.

Thanks.

Old 09-23-2014, 09:49 PM
ynots
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

have you adjusted the clutch basket?

Old 09-23-2014, 10:14 PM
FLS103
Road Warrior
Received 240 Likes on 154 Posts

Did you seat the cable properly in the grip housing? Should be centered and have about 1/16 play when you operate the lever

Old 10-05-2014, 01:27 AM
Silvio
Tourer

I adjusted my clutch then the cable. After a fine adjustment during the test ride it seemed perfect.

Then, about 200 miles later I had the same thing happen where the adjustment seemed to go wrong, the lever wouldn't return and the clutch wouldn't disengage.

Out of frustration, I hauled back on the lever and let it pop out again and it went back to normal.

It seems that the problem is not the overall adjustment, but either the lever or the cable (or both) sticking.

I'm planning on hitting the pin, barrel and cable with some Harley Lube and seeing what happens next.

Old 10-05-2014, 07:12 AM
sengle4
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default clutch adjustment

are you adjusting the cable when the bike is cold per the service manual?

Old 10-05-2014, 10:44 AM
slyedog
Elite HDF Member
Received 272 Likes on 185 Posts

Originally Posted by Silvio
I adjusted my clutch then the cable. After a fine adjustment during the test ride it seemed perfect.

Then, about 200 miles later I had the same thing happen where the adjustment seemed to go wrong, the lever wouldn't return and the clutch wouldn't disengage.

Out of frustration, I hauled back on the lever and let it pop out again and it went back to normal.

It seems that the problem is not the overall adjustment, but either the lever or the cable (or both) sticking.

I'm planning on hitting the pin, barrel and cable with some Harley Lube and seeing what happens next.
Is your bike stock? Your cable as you said may be binding but if its still acting up your diaphragm spring may be weak as well. A $35 upgrade to the heavier spring may be worth it. Its not too stiff and pulls back decent yet has a nice snappy return to it.

Old 10-05-2014, 02:42 PM
Silvio
Tourer

Yep. Adjusting while cold.

As far as I can tell, I'm following all the rules.

Yeah, except for the Oberon lever, everything in the clutch path is stock.

If a little lube doesn't do the trick, I'll look into the spring mod.

Thanks for the info all.