Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dead Center Cycles Road Captain Fairing install

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2014, 09:33 AM
jcgribks
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Dead Center Cycles Road Captain Fairing install

I've been comparing all the aftermarket batwing fairings out there for the past couple of months. I decided to go with the Dead Center Cycles Road Captain Fairing as I thought it was a good looking fairing that was proportional in size compared to the Touring bikes for my 2003 Low Rider. I also liked the fact that I could buy just the outer fairing and mounting hardware and get the inner stereo ready fairing at a later time so I didn't have to come up with all the money at once.

After I received the fairing and mounting kit, I discovered that they had sent me the wrong headlight relocation mount. They had sent one for a later model. No problem a quick call to Dead Center Cycles and they sent out the correct one.

1st was to install the T-bolt clamps to the forks between the upper and lower triple clamps as shown in these pictures. These are supposed to be mounted with the bolt parallel to the front axle. But...

I had to rotate the clamps toward the front a little so the mounting brackets wouldn't hit my tank. I even tried and loosened up my tank mounting bolts to try to move back the tank back a little.

This side wasn't as near to the tank when I test fit the mounting brackets.

This is the headlight relocation mount to bring the headlight out and just in front of the fairing. Otherwise it has the "tunnel" look as some other batwing fairing have

Here is a shot with the T-bolt clamps in place and the headlight in it's new position.

Here is a side view showing the T-bolt clamps installed. Not shown is how the fairing mounts to the T-bolts. They use a thick large washer, then a thick smaller washer, then another thick large washer and then an acorn nut. Sort of the same setup as other quick-disconnect windshields use.

Finished, except for measuring for a windshield.

Another front shot.

Here's what the back looks like.

This is where test fitting the fairing mounting brackets before you mount them to the fairing is critical. When I 1st installed the T-bolt clamps and test fit the mounting brackets, the bracket would touch my tank.

Here's a side shot of the fairing installed

The only part of the install that I didn't show was mounting the fairing brackets onto the fairing itself.

The fairing is able to be removed fairly quick with just 7/16" wrench.

Overall I'm very happy with the looks and fit of the Road Captain Fairing. The fit and finish of the fairing is great. I can't wait to get the funds up to get the inner fairing. Eventually after I get the inner fairing, I'm going to have both painted to match my bike.

Last edited by jcgribks; 09-26-2014 at 10:08 AM.
Old 09-26-2014, 09:37 AM

so it's just a sheild, no radio, lighter, power, kichen sink?

Old 09-26-2014, 09:59 AM
jcgribks
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It will have a radio and power after I buy the inner stereo ready fairing. Total cost for both inner as shown and the outer is about what all other batwing fairings out there that are stereo ready cost. I just didn't have the funds ready to buy the whole package right now.

Old 09-26-2014, 04:12 PM
03Custom883
Road Captain
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Looks awesome. I am def getting one

Old 09-26-2014, 04:13 PM
03Custom883
Road Captain

Keep us posted on how it is when your riding and with the windshield.

Old 09-26-2014, 04:17 PM
rednred
Tourer
Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts

Normally not a fan of batwings on sporty or dyna but after seeing this I might have to reconsider. That looks like it belongs.
Nice.

Old 09-27-2014, 07:03 AM
blueangel73
Elite HDF Member
Received 147 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by jcgribks

Looks really good, I have been looking at this fairing ever since it's release for the same reasons you mentioned.

As far as mounting, it looks as if with a little modification, those brackets could be modified to addapt the HD quick disconnects levers used on their windscreens. Making the batwing not only quickly removable, but also eleminating the conflict of the tank interference. Going that way, I would recommend getting the lockable QD's.

Thanks for the pics and details.

Old 10-06-2014, 12:28 PM
03Custom883
Road Captain

Did you ever get a wind shield for it? What your review on the ride on the highway before and after?

Old 10-06-2014, 07:47 PM
camden
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Looks great!

Batwing fairings are really growing on me.

Old 10-06-2014, 08:08 PM
LivingontheRock
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I put a Woody's Fairing on my Road King a couple of years ago. Worst part was moving the lights to fit the fairing, ending up having to solder a couple of wires. But other than that no problem.

Really happy with it and Glen is great to work with. One man show so a bit of a wait but at the time I lived North so winter project.

Quick Reply: Dead Center Cycles Road Captain Fairing install