Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Disc Brake Chatter Fix

Old 09-28-2014, 11:45 PM
izzyryder
Road Warrior
Received 86 Likes on 63 Posts
Default Disc Brake Chatter Fix

Been a while since I posted. Been going through some personal turmoil and heartache. If anyone has PM'd me and I haven't responded, sorry. Anyways, I Wanted to share this video. I'm going to try it tomorrow.

http://youtu.be/5hNYKeZYJsA

Upon inspection of my front pads, I have a big gap where they should be flush against the caliper. I have very bad chatter (but no clunk). After seeing this video I believe the dude is correct.

Thoughts?

Old 09-29-2014, 08:02 AM
tomt
Road Master
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Cool fix.

Old 09-29-2014, 08:19 AM
mattVA
Stellar HDF Member
Received 92 Likes on 72 Posts

Odd. .seems like a bandaid fix. I've never had any noise like what he's describing since new and I've had my calipers/pads apart multiple times, rotors off.

I'd be more concerned about what's pushing the pads back and forth. I bet it's stuck pistons that aren't retracting like they ought to.

Old 09-29-2014, 10:10 AM
izzyryder
Road Warrior

My guess is maybe my rotors are slightly warped, or due to the fact they are floating rotors... There is play which causes the pads to vibrate and chatter at braking.

Old 09-29-2014, 10:13 AM
mattVA
Stellar HDF Member
Received 92 Likes on 72 Posts

I don't think we really have 'floating' rotors. They're more like semi floating. Not a whole lot of play there. Severely warped rotors could cause that but you'd probably be able to see the variance by spinning the wheel if it was bad enough to cause a chatter. If I had chatter going on I'd go through everything. .starting with measuring the rotor runout, if good, moving on to the calipers and removing pads, cleaning pistons thoroughly, and finishing with a bleed.

Old 09-29-2014, 10:18 AM
izzyryder
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by mattVA
I don't think we really have 'floating' rotors. They're more like semi floating. Not a whole lot of play there. Severely warped rotors could cause that but you'd probably be able to see the variance by spinning the wheel if it was bad enough to cause a chatter. If I had chatter going on I'd go through everything. .starting with measuring the rotor runout, if good, moving on to the calipers and removing pads, cleaning pistons thoroughly, and finishing with a bleed.
I hear ya. I've done all of that. I'm religious when it comes to maintenance and **** when it comes to "I'm bored lets do the 25,000 mile service at 9.5k" thing. Also, I'm thinking the pistons are retracting as they should which is what's giving the pads room to chatter like that.

The noise is definitely coming from the pads. I'm off to the store in a few minutes and after I test it out I'll report back.

Old 09-29-2014, 01:14 PM
izzyryder
Road Warrior

Ok installed and tested this out and the verdict is that it does in fact work. All the brake chatter is now gone.

Old 09-29-2014, 05:49 PM
hitman1267
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mine make a weird sound like a rattlesnake shaking its tail or a cicada

Old 09-29-2014, 06:42 PM
izzyryder
Road Warrior

Try the spring trick. Couldn't hurt.

Old 09-30-2014, 09:54 PM
Sharpie
Road Warrior
Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by hitman1267
Mine make a weird sound like a rattlesnake shaking its tail or a cicada
Vent holes in the rotors cause a vibration on the front when the brakes are applied.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Disc Brake Chatter Fix