Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Battery question

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2014, 07:40 AM
jaws52
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery question

Accidentally left my 13 WG ignition switch on and killed the battery. Put it on the trickle charger once I realized. Been a few days.... Well if I turn it on accessory it comes on but the battery light is on, if I try and turn it on to start it, everything just clicks on and off. Almost like a flicker?.. Is my battery toast? Or is it just still dead? Or is just the trickle charger not cutting it?

Also is the system a 12v system like a car where I could give it a jump?

Old 09-30-2014, 07:50 AM
Thomas Eckenrod
Advanced

Trickle charger will not charge it. It is only used to maintain a charge while not in use for periods of time. You will need to put it on a 6 amp charge until fully charged. I wouldnt jump it if its that low it will be a bad strain on your stator and can burn the stator up.

Last edited by Thomas Eckenrod; 09-30-2014 at 08:13 AM.
Old 09-30-2014, 07:51 AM
Mascman
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A trickle charger is like 2 amps and a real battery charger is 10.

A trickle charger is only to maintain a charged battery whereas a battery charger actually charges...make sense?

Old 09-30-2014, 11:34 AM
jaws52
Cruiser

Will the trickle ever charge it enough to start now?

Old 09-30-2014, 11:48 AM
nevil
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 969 Likes on 732 Posts

Originally Posted by jaws52
Will the trickle ever charge it enough to start now?
No.
You can jump start it with a car, just make sure the car is not running.

Old 09-30-2014, 07:03 PM
skinman13
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 234 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by Thomas Eckenrod
Trickle charger will not charge it. It is only used to maintain a charge while not in use for periods of time. You will need to put it on a 6 amp charge until fully charged. I wouldnt jump it if its that low it will be a bad strain on your stator and can burn the stator up.
Not so. The charging system is designed to charge a completely dead battery and will do it rather quickly. The OEM stator is rated at over 30 amps at idle and 50 amps over 2000 rpm, the OEM voltage regulator is rated for 38 amps and the system is protected by a fast acting fuse, typically 30 or 40 amps, depending on the year and model.

Damage to the stator and voltage regulator is very unlikely unless the battery is internally shorted to begin with. A good battery will only draw heavy amps from the system in the initial charging, typically around 5-10 minutes. The current draw on the system drops exponentially afterwards. If the amp draw to the battery exceeds the rating of the fuse, it will open the circuit.

I have killed my battery a couple of times and both times I put it on an el-cheapo WalMart automotive charger set at 6 amps and it was charged enough to crank the bike in around 15 minutes, and was fully charged after riding for 30 minutes...

Get it cranked, ride for an hour, and if it does not hold the charge, check the charging system...I learned from my local dealer service manager that there are some bad voltage regulators out there...maybe you got one.

Old 09-30-2014, 10:18 PM
slyedog
Elite HDF Member
Received 272 Likes on 185 Posts

Originally Posted by skinman13
Not so. The charging system is designed to charge a completely dead battery and will do it rather quickly. The OEM stator is rated at over 30 amps at idle and 50 amps over 2000 rpm, the OEM voltage regulator is rated for 38 amps and the system is protected by a fast acting fuse, typically 30 or 40 amps, depending on the year and model.

Damage to the stator and voltage regulator is very unlikely unless the battery is internally shorted to begin with. A good battery will only draw heavy amps from the system in the initial charging, typically around 5-10 minutes. The current draw on the system drops exponentially afterwards. If the amp draw to the battery exceeds the rating of the fuse, it will open the circuit.

I have killed my battery a couple of times and both times I put it on an el-cheapo WalMart automotive charger set at 6 amps and it was charged enough to crank the bike in around 15 minutes, and was fully charged after riding for 30 minutes...

Get it cranked, ride for an hour, and if it does not hold the charge, check the charging system...I learned from my local dealer service manager that there are some bad voltage regulators out there...maybe you got one.
No charging system is designed to charge a dead battery ever. Only to maintain. Between the lighting,ecm, fuel pump, etc, you are pulling majority of the output. I guess you never wrench on your cages or at least read instructions when replacing an alternator. Always fully charge battery and check voltage drop when replacing to prevent failure. Using bike charging system to fully recharge a completely dead battery is the best I have heard all week. Smmfh

Old 10-01-2014, 06:33 AM
skinman13
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 234 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by slyedog
No charging system is designed to charge a dead battery ever. Only to maintain. Between the lighting,ecm, fuel pump, etc, you are pulling majority of the output. I guess you never wrench on your cages or at least read instructions when replacing an alternator. Always fully charge battery and check voltage drop when replacing to prevent failure. Using bike charging system to fully recharge a completely dead battery is the best I have heard all week. Smmfh
You are correct...almost. I should have used the term discharged and not dead. They are not the same condition.

A dead battery cannot be charged...A dead battery is a bad battery that will not hold a charge. Usually a dead battery suffers from plate corrosion aka shedding which can cause shorting of the plates. All batteries shed to some degree. Using a battery tender without regular cycling of the battery is a very common cause of excessive shedding. If you put a tender on your ride in November and don't crank it up until April, then don't be surprised that you will need a new battery in May.

Attempting to charge a dead battery with the charging system may damage the system.

The HD charging system is designed to charge a good but completely discharged battery over its useful lifespan.

I have repaired many different kinds of automotive charging systems over the past few decades...from Lear Jets to Volkswagens. Now I am into Harley Davidsons and their charging systems work the same as a Lear...just with different components.

Last edited by skinman13; 10-01-2014 at 06:42 AM.