Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cam chain tensioners which way to go?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2014, 09:18 PM
T Prescott
Tourer
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Check the pinion run out to spec for Gear drive. I'd cam it, beef up the drive train and go chain drive.

Old 09-30-2014, 09:53 PM
Kevin714
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,801 Likes on 758 Posts

My 02 Wide Glide tensioners had about the same amount of wear as yours at 30,250 miles. I had a indy shop put in S&S gear drives for $1,200.

Old 09-30-2014, 10:03 PM
1999 Wide Glide
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnnyRebKY
I have nothing to contribute other than your Wide Glide is awesome! I have a 2002 that just turned 20k so I'll be paying attention here. Good to see another guy with one of these older bikes planning for the long haul. I agree with leaving the 88 alone, they move the glide around just fine as they are. Good luck

Thanks Johnny,
I like carbs because I can work on them without a computer. As far as I can tell the older twin cams are better engines except for this issue. Just trying to find the best possible fix.

Old 09-30-2014, 10:11 PM
1999 Wide Glide
Tourer

Has anyone ever used Teflon tensioners? I saw this kit on eBay and was wondering if they would last longer than stock.

Attached Thumbnails Cam chain tensioners which way to go?-twin-cam-tensioner-stuff.jpg  
Old 10-01-2014, 03:33 AM
FXD_noob
Road Master

Originally Posted by 1999 Wide Glide
Has anyone ever used Teflon tensioners? I saw this kit on eBay and was wondering if they would last longer than stock.
I just had to rebuild my engine [link's on the signature] and I went for the Cyco cam tensioner replacements...so far so good. Teflon sounds fancy, maybe they last longer?

Old 10-01-2014, 06:00 AM
vdop
Road Master
Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Put the se hydraulic upgrade kit in it and forget about all the other crap. It's by far the best bang for the buck and will last a lot longer than the cams and lifters. Another thing you want to look closely at while you're there is the condition of the cams and lifters as well as the inner tensioner. It's pretty common for the hardness to be coming off the cams and lifters by that mileage, I'd replace them as well while you're in there.

Are both cam and crank sprocket bolts the same sizes (1/2")? It's hard to tell from the picture. If so it's got the old style cam and bearing. I'd make sure the cam bearing issue has been fixed also.

Old 10-01-2014, 07:47 PM
dynawg1
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by QC
Replace them with these:
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...oRQmXI-cgoM5fw
And replace the inner cam bearings as well and you'll be good to go another 50,000 miles at least.

Could be me (or my computer), but the link above seems to be for gaskets?

Old 10-01-2014, 09:58 PM
MRFREEZE57
Grand HDF Member
Received 4,066 Likes on 1,904 Posts

Originally Posted by vdop
Put the se hydraulic upgrade kit in it and forget about all the other crap. It's by far the best bang for the buck and will last a lot longer than the cams and lifters. Another thing you want to look closely at while you're there is the condition of the cams and lifters as well as the inner tensioner. It's pretty common for the hardness to be coming off the cams and lifters by that mileage, I'd replace them as well while you're in there.

Are both cam and crank sprocket bolts the same sizes (1/2")? It's hard to tell from the picture. If so it's got the old style cam and bearing. I'd make sure the cam bearing issue has been fixed also.
33k miles, cams should last a lot longer than that.

Old 10-02-2014, 06:12 AM
vdop
Road Master
Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by MRFREEZE57
33k miles, cams should last a lot longer than that.
Of course they should. Unfortunately they don't always.

Old 10-02-2014, 08:30 AM
Bar50
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Gear drive.

Like HD used since they started in 1903.

The part you guys are not catching is that all they material from tensioners is now debris in you oil system and motor. 30-40K is where they fail, some earlier, some later depending on type of oil used and riding style. So, its not really a matter of 'ifi as much as when. Inner cam bearings and gear drive, it will be an old twiin cam some day like panheads and knuckleheads are now. So, long as you can find CV carb slide diaphrams...or just run an S&S carb.

You motor will be smoother and have a better feel with gear drive cams.

Quick Reply: Cam chain tensioners which way to go?