Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lowering rear and adding comfort?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2014, 09:22 AM
robbyville
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 141 Likes on 114 Posts
Default Lowering rear and adding comfort?

A while back I asked some questions regarding rear suspension since I plan to make a change this upcoming winter.

I got some great suggestions and will probably go with progressive 970's. But now I'm thinking that I may want to lower the bike a bit (I'm 5'7). I believe the stock shocks are around 12"

I weigh around 160lbs, and find the stock shocks a little tough even though they are set to the softest setting. I'm not sure that I bottom out ever I can just say the ride isn't as comfortable as I was hoping.

I understand that if I lower the bike I will lose some travel, but is it possible to have a lower bike and a more comfortable ride? Any suggestions?

Thanks as always

Old 10-01-2014, 09:41 AM
BigDogIdaho
Grand HDF Member
Received 187 Likes on 145 Posts

How much do you want to lower it? I've always heard just about every aftermarket shock you can get is a better ride.

Old 10-01-2014, 10:42 AM
robbyville
Outstanding HDF Member

I would think an inch would be plenty. With my boots I can pretty much flat foot everything but there are times where I think lower might be better for me (and yeah I like the look too).

I just want to make sure that by doing it I don't screw up and make the ride harsher, (obviously I don't know much about shocks)...

Old 10-01-2014, 11:01 AM
blueangel73
Elite HDF Member
Received 147 Likes on 122 Posts

You could look into an air ride setup. There are a few members on here that have done a DIY system and saved a ton of money or you could look into the Legends Suspensions or Arnott Suspensions systems that will run you close to $900-$1700 American, guessing thats around 550£-1,050£.

Old 10-01-2014, 11:08 AM
CACruiserHD
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got the Arnott air ride from a seller on ebay brand new. I believe it was $899 for everything. I went with air ride for comfort but also so I could ride 2 up and not worry about bottoming out. I air the shocks up and the ride is great.

The installation isn't terrible. I didn't want to mess with the DIY system, finding parts, etc and the arnott setup has the hidden compressor.

Old 10-01-2014, 11:11 AM
robbyville
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by CACruiserHD
I got the Arnott air ride from a seller on ebay brand new. I believe it was $899 for everything. I went with air ride for comfort but also so I could ride 2 up and not worry about bottoming out. I air the shocks up and the ride is great.

The installation isn't terrible. I didn't want to mess with the DIY system, finding parts, etc and the arnott setup has the hidden compressor.
hmm, well $899 is within plans (I was hoping to keep it below $1k and I've found the 970's for $750). I don't ride 2-up and really just want comfort, is there a big difference between air and normal? Keep in mind that stock shocks are my only point of reference.

Old 10-01-2014, 11:16 AM
robbyville
Outstanding HDF Member

Just looked at the air rides, seem pretty cool but frankly not sure that I want to get too much into wiring, etc. unless of course the ride quality is so much better than a good aftermarket plug and play?

Old 10-01-2014, 04:02 PM
BigDogIdaho
Grand HDF Member
Received 187 Likes on 145 Posts

Air ride is probably the most smooth ride you're gonna find. Install is obviously way more involved. If you plan on riding 2 up in the future, or loading up with stuff, the air ride is probably the way to go. It has the most adjustability for weight. You can adjust height with it also. So you can ride low if you want, or raise it up.
With the 970's I think they are taller (12.5") then stock (12"). If you want to lower it 1" you should look for an 11" shock.

Last edited by BigDogIdaho; 10-01-2014 at 04:10 PM.
Old 10-01-2014, 05:18 PM
Racqueteer9
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

You can get most all decent shocks in different lengths. But, you're probably kidding yourself to think you're gonna get a better ride with a shorter shock. The number of posters who tried 11" shocks and hated the lousy ride is large. I went from 12" stock to 13" 440's and think it's a vast improvement. Plus I stopped scraping around mountain curves.

Old 10-01-2014, 05:30 PM
robbyville
Outstanding HDF Member

Understood. I don't see myself ever riding two up much (wife is a control freak, she'll either learn to ride on her own or not at all), and because of that along with a 7 yr old loading up for touring is also pretty much out.

I think the lowering was just a thought to get some reduced seat height but the reality is that I can pretty much plant my feet flat. The ride comfort is the most important thing to me so guess I'll stick with stock height but a better shock. Still thinking of the Progressive 970's seem to have a solid rep and reviews.

Quick Reply: Lowering rear and adding comfort?