Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SE compensator 42200064A upgrade w/pics

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2014, 02:52 PM
128auto
Extreme HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Cool SE compensator 42200064A upgrade w/pics

Long story short, I have had hard starting problem in the past 2 months. 107ci w/compression release, always start up first rev except the past 2 months. I have replaced the battery 310cca, new all ***** starter, all connections are tight. Still hard to start from time to time, cold or hot. Sometimes the motor just locked up and voltage dropped to 6.8volts. Talked to fuel moto and Jamie asked me to check compensator, it could cause lock up and kick back while cranking. BTW there was no clucking or other symptoms a bad compensator may have. Well I have done almost everything, no other choice.

Removed the old compensator, minimum wear and tear. Surprise! The M6 tensioner I installed 2 months ago is in pieces. I had checked the freeplay 2 weeks after installation, it was good so I call fair. I don't know what's the proper way to check the compensator, everything look good to me. Installed the new compensator, job is a piece of cake except gluing the deflector. I have the caulking gun adapter and glue, when I squeeze the tube, it stopped half way. I end up getting the two parts mixed with a stick and it worked. I took short cut grinding the inner case to get access to the rotor.

Rode it for 50 miles, nice and quiet. More importantly the hard starting problem is gone! I am surprised. It could be the old compensator disc springs go weaken, who knows? I have started my motor more than 20 times in the past 2 days, I cannot reproduce hard starting, it fires right up! I have talked to Hayden about the tensioner, of course they bullshit a lot, blame the fluid I used, bad chain etc. I just ordered a baker manual adjuster, not gonna deal with M6 anymore. Keep you posted

Old 10-10-2014, 03:22 PM
Peter Black
Road Captain
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Great post looks like I will be crossing the m6 off my mod list I've been debating m6, stock or baker for a few mounths now. Your write up will help me make up my mind

Old 10-10-2014, 03:26 PM
Mascman
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I wonder if that Hayden shoe was broken when the compensator kicked back?

looks like it took a hit more than got worn down.

My bike takes a couple tries to start when cold...just assumed my T-max settings still need dialed in yet.

I hate the sound when it kicks back!

Old 10-10-2014, 08:10 PM
07_Dyna
Cruiser
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

OK - I'm gonna ask the question I bet is on a lot of minds. I don't care if i sound dumb - I was not born with Harley knowledge...

What the heck is this thing, and what does it do?

When my bike fires up there is a loud pop. Every time. Seems normal. Is that this "compensator" thing working? From the pics it would seem to create a bit of free play between the primary chain and the motor?

I hear a sound like a tire breaking traction, just for a moment, when I back off the throttle. I have always wondered what that is?

It's help a newbie out day

Old 10-10-2014, 08:14 PM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,570 Likes on 2,888 Posts

Good choice going with the Baker. Seems the M6 is hit n miss. Some have bad issues and others love it. Never herd a complaint about the Baker unit. At first I couldnt get 5/8 play but after 700 miles I re adjusted and got my 5/8 play.

Old 10-10-2014, 08:18 PM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,570 Likes on 2,888 Posts

Originally Posted by 07_Dyna
OK - I'm gonna ask the question I bet is on a lot of minds. I don't care if i sound dumb - I was not born with Harley knowledge...

What the heck is this thing, and what does it do?

When my bike fires up there is a loud pop. Every time. Seems normal. Is that this "compensator" thing working? From the pics it would seem to create a bit of free play between the primary chain and the motor?

I hear a sound like a tire breaking traction, just for a moment, when I back off the throttle. I have always wondered what that is?

It's help a newbie out day
Yea the comp is one of the things that goes out on these bikes. HD has 4 revisions since 07 and it still isnt perfected. They dont even sell the original 07 model comp anymore. I think this latest one is somewhat better. The aftermarket Compusaver from GMR aids in oiling helps as well.

Old 10-10-2014, 09:20 PM
Jaystn62
Stellar HDF Member

Received 213 Likes on 155 Posts

I think it's time to take mine in under the extended warranty. I have the hard starting at times plus the funny sound. Asked a local dealer sales manager yesterday and said it's covered....said it's common...but hit and miss on bikes. Not all fail. Yet I think should be a safety issue recall. What if you try to restart in a traffic jam after shutting down to prevent overheating? Just a thought.

Old 10-10-2014, 10:41 PM
HD Pilot
Elite HDF Member
Received 55 Likes on 47 Posts

Nice pics and info Alex. My bet is the Hayden was the root cause, did you have any issues prior to installing the Hayden?

Don't you have to install a metal clip with that oiling tray?

Are you waiting on the Baker or are you running the old stock tensioner for awhile? Will have to pull the compensator again to get the Baker installed.

Old 10-10-2014, 10:50 PM
HD Bobber
Elite HDF Member
Received 201 Likes on 154 Posts

Unit sure if the hayden was the root cause.

This is why I took extra precautions when I did my build....did my bottom end, SE comp, and changed the tensioner right off the start. No problems w/ over 2,500 miles on here and I ride it like I stole it!

For the shows to crack like that has to be kick back from the comp or something?

You don't have to do anything but install a bigger bore and to some it will be fine 100%, but then something like this might happen or even worse.

Old 10-10-2014, 11:00 PM
HD Pilot
Elite HDF Member
Received 55 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by HD Bobber
Unit sure if the hayden was the root cause.

This is why I took extra precautions when I did my build....did my bottom end, SE comp, and changed the tensioner right off the start. No problems w/ over 2,500 miles on here and I ride it like I stole it!

For the shows to crack like that has to be kick back from the comp or something?

You don't have to do anything but install a bigger bore and to some it will be fine 100%, but then something like this might happen or even worse.
Maybe not the Hayden, but it I think 128auto just installed that Hayden a couple months ago. Would like to see pics of the old compensating sprocket, sprocket retainer, and sliding cam....

Quick Reply: SE compensator 42200064A upgrade w/pics