Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CB on a Dyna?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2014, 06:36 PM
HAP76
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CB on a Dyna?

I do a lot of touring on my Fat Bob, and am thinking about adding a CB to my bike. I am looking at the Midland 75-822 40 Channel CB-Way Radio wired to a Sena SR10 Bluetooth Two-Way Radio Adapter to communicate with the Sena SMH-10 Bluetooth Headset I already own.

Anyone have experience with a set up like this? Looking for lessons learned or other options to consider. Also need advice on an antenna to complete the system. I have read some positive reviews on the Cobra 100-Watt 21" Magnet-Mount Antenna and am wondering if it would be a good match with the other components I have listed.

Old 10-15-2014, 07:02 PM
OldEnuf2NoBtr
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,811 Likes on 1,064 Posts

In todays Cellular Age, why would you want to go to the trouble of installing a CB radio?
Especially on a bike that's not exactly built for one?

Old 10-15-2014, 07:06 PM
AFMM3
Road Warrior
Received 70 Likes on 41 Posts

My Ultra Classic has a CB. In the last 5 years, I have turned it on a couple of times and heard nothing but gay truckers hooking up. So graphic that I have always had to turn it off.

Old 10-15-2014, 09:01 PM
Wide N Low 13
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by OldEnuf2NoBtr
In todays Cellular Age, why would you want to go to the trouble of installing a CB radio?
Especially on a bike that's not exactly built for one?

Old 10-15-2014, 09:20 PM
JohnnyRebKY
Road Master
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

There's nothing to hear on a cb radio but truckers on 19 acting fools. Plus criminals monitor the radio so I wouldn't be calling for help or giving my location from a cb on a bike. Someone might show up who isn't so friendly.

Running a stock 4 watt radio won't cut through all the mess either. Most guys you hear talking have connex, general lee, stryker. radios that are 100+ watts. It's illegal but un enforced. Impossible to talk over those guys.

Last edited by JohnnyRebKY; 10-15-2014 at 09:26 PM.
Old 10-15-2014, 09:24 PM
upflying
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 26,178 Likes on 11,108 Posts

CB radio, they still make those? Who do you plan to communicate with that is a 1/2 mile away?

Old 10-15-2014, 09:31 PM
JohnnyRebKY
Road Master
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by upflying
CB radio, they still make those? Who do you plan to communicate with that is a 1/2 mile away?
Oh they talk further than that. A stock 4 watt radio with good antena will shoot out 10 miles. I have a stryker 100 watt that will talk 60 miles

Old 10-15-2014, 11:29 PM
HAP76
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To provide a little more context for my question... No I don't want to talk to truckers and no I am not trying to replace my cell phone. I tour with a group of 5 or 6 other bikes on a regular basis (I am talking about week long trips with 400 to 600 mile days) and it would convenient to be able to communicate with others in the group while we ride. Most of the guys I ride with are on touring bikes that come with CB's, so I am not going to convince them all to buy Sena or Scala intercoms to communicate with me. And before someone suggests I just buy a touring bike, let me say I have rented a few touring bikes and prefer my Dyna.

Adding a CB to a Dyna is no big deal. It is easy to add an accessory outlet under the seat to plug in a small portable unit like the one I mentioned, and it can be mounted to the handle bar or clipped to the tank panel for easy removal when not needed. Likewise a magnet mount antenna can be unplugged and removed in seconds leaving no wires or extra hardware on the bike.

So if anyone has helpful information on the components I listed, or can recommend another comparable set up, I would appreciate your input.

Old 10-16-2014, 03:02 PM

breaker breaker, can i get a 20,,yeah i'm on my bike,,you have a cb on your bike,,ummmm yeah...ahhh yeah good buddy,,either buy a truck or get a life

Old 10-16-2014, 03:50 PM
SoCalRoadGlide
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Maybe the peanut gallery is done.

I haven't done this setup myself, but I know of others that have done it just as you've outlined, only with GMRS type radios. You need a license for these. The guys I know of that did this were into dual sport and adventure riding off the beaten path, so they needed more range. No reason why you couldn't put a system together with a CB radio so you can communicate with your friends while riding.

Quick Reply: CB on a Dyna?