Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

lowered bike scraps pipe

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2014, 04:22 PM
Ape_Hanger
Road Master
Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

Part of my December-January mods are suspension front and rear. I was going to lower mine, but I've talked myself out of it. Yeah it looks cool, but I don't want to give up any handling.

Old 10-19-2014, 05:29 PM
PennShovel
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Put taller shocks on its that easy. I'm sure you feet touch the ground. Your bike is set up for someone that is 6' 3".

Old 10-19-2014, 05:38 PM
apetterez
Road Captain

Originally Posted by PennShovel
Put taller shocks on its that easy. I'm sure you feet touch the ground. Your bike is set up for someone that is 6' 3".
Exactly my setup is for someone who is tall I'm only 5 6. Short. However I did just buy reduced reach forwards. Might be switching to mid if needed.

Our a reduced reach solo seat. They're just so ugly.

Old 10-19-2014, 05:47 PM
PennShovel
Cruiser

Well sh*t. . . lemme just get this foot outta my mouth. lol

Old 10-20-2014, 08:24 AM
blueangel73
Elite HDF Member
Received 147 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by Greezey Rider
Lowering bikes has consequences, almost all negative. You're going to have to put a different pipe on there, or raise the bike back up.
My bike is lower and I have never had a negative consequence with it. Me being short and all, putting on a 12" or taller shock adds a negative consequence because I lose my solid foot contact when at a light or trying to back it up.

I scrap the pipe in right turns, I scrap the peg in left turns, as most of us do. If getting a scrap on the pipe, pegs or what every catches it in a turn is a worry, be less aggressive in your turns. Learn your lean angle, know the sound and be causious when you know its coming or are in it.

OP, if a taller shock works to solve your problem without adverse consequences, change them out. If changing or modifing you exhaust solves it, go for it. Good luck solving your problem.

Last edited by blueangel73; 10-21-2014 at 08:36 AM.
Old 10-20-2014, 10:16 AM
Vaquero.45
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by apetterez
Did you mean rineharts crossover? I'm looking into those. How is that performance compared to the thunder header?
I believe they're Rush Crossovers, like this. I bought mine on ebay with no heatshields, no baffles, no tips, and no markings. I have lollipops in mine (which, with a built-in crossover is probably somewhat redundant). You probably can't beat the T-header for performance, but these are pretty good. Very good upper mid-range, not as good as the Pro-pipe for low-end and lower mid-range, but still pretty good. I have baffles ordered for them, but not here yet.

But it's really nice being able to make right turns again. I was beginning to feel like a NASCAR driver.

Old 10-20-2014, 03:33 PM
hitman1267
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So just lift the bike again low rider

Old 10-21-2014, 04:20 AM
Punty
Road Warrior

10.5" shocks and a Road Rage pipe works Great. The only thing I scrape are my Pegs

Good Luck

Old 10-21-2014, 06:29 AM
Greezey Rider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,493 Likes on 1,073 Posts

Originally Posted by blueangel73
My bike is lower and I have never had a negative consequence with it.
Really?

I scrap the pipe in right turns, I scrap the peg in left turns, as most of us do. I getting a scrap on the pipe, pegs or what every catches it in a turn is a worry,
There're your negative consequences right there.

be less aggressive in your turns. Learn your lean angle, know the sound and be causious when know its coming or are in it.
In other words....Learn to compensate for the negative consequences of lowering you bike.

Lowering a motorcycle always has negative consequences, you lose ground clearance and lean angle at the very least.

Old 10-21-2014, 08:34 AM
blueangel73
Elite HDF Member
Received 147 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by Greezey Rider
Really?

There're your negative consequences right there.

In other words....Learn to compensate for the negative consequences of lowering you bike.

Lowering a motorcycle always has negative consequences, you lose ground clearance and lean angle at the very least.
If rubbing pegs and pipes are a negative conciquence then yes I have always had this issue and so have many, many others on both raised, lowered and stock bikes. I had the problem with a stock Sportster Custom and the Street Bob before I lowered it. I don't see how rubbing parts against the ground is a negative concequence, it is a consequence of riding a motorcycle, but it's not a negative one. It seems to me that even the guys that raise there bikes to get more aggressive turning ability still rub bike parts. Yes, raising, lowering or leaving your bike stock, via shocks or body weight does change the ground clearance and lean angle, but either way the rider has to learn his or her limits/consequences of using the setup, lower your bike you'll lean less to rub, raise your bike you'll lean more to rub. The guys that race supermoto can lean damn near on the fairing of the bike and rub the bike and body parts on the ground without any "negative" consequences. If you don't want to damage/wear and tear your bike parts then don't ride so hard, take it nice and easy and avoid the consequences of riding hard (or pushing your limits). Pretty much it's only a "negative consequence" if your not expecting it to happen or are worried about the effect of what the change or non-change caused. A negative consequence to me would be something unexpected and caused a crash or death, not a little rubbing here and there.

Quick Reply: lowered bike scraps pipe