Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brand New 2014 Dyna Wide Glide Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2014, 09:21 PM
T Prescott
Tourer
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Mufflers don't effect the amount of air coming in the motor to justify a tune.

Old 10-20-2014, 09:56 PM
Red Dragons
Road Master
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by sugarcoat
could you explain why please?
Any bike with O2 sensors will adjust for the change.

Should you tune anyway because the HD stock tune is EPA mandated garbage? Absolutely.

Old 10-20-2014, 10:54 PM
frdmdfndr
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sugarcoat,

V&H short shots and the cheap FuelMoto tuner is the setup I went with when I got my 2013 WG. I have since ditched the short shots (they are in my garage BTW) in favor of a Bassani Road Rage B1 (BAD *** PIPE). The short shots will look pretty good and sound heat, but won't give you much in the power department. They were also pretty crappy for my fuel mileage.

Cody

Old 10-21-2014, 02:41 AM
Warp Factor
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 87 Likes on 75 Posts

will it hurt the bike if i don't upgrade the air intake and if i don't tune it?
No. The engine control system senses changes in air flow, and compensates automatically. You'd probably be fine with a different air cleaner too.

However, you'll probably get some decel exhaust popping with those pipes. They're short enough and open enough that you'll get some reversion, allowing enough fresh air to mix with unburned fuel in the exhaust to make it ignite. It's almost the same as the popping one gets from an exhaust leak. Doesn't hurt anything, but some people are bothered by it. If it bothers you, and you don't mind spending the money, it can be tuned out by throwing the decel fuel-air mixture far enough off that it won't ignite in the exhaust.

Old 10-21-2014, 07:41 AM
jmb79
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

could you explain why please?
Try using the search function. That are way too many threads on this topic. The Board helps he who helps himself.

Old 10-21-2014, 07:50 AM
sugarcoat
Novice

will putting just an exhaust system on my bike void the warranty of the engine or anything?

Old 10-21-2014, 08:17 AM
Grendel4
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

will putting just an exhaust system on my bike void the warranty of the engine or anything?
Keep the old one in case something bad happens.

As to tuning...... Look --

The Delphi System on our Harleys is a 'dumb' computer. It can make small, minor adjustments for altitude, fuel quality, etc.

But you start in with messing with the Air Intake and that's going to be more than it can handle.

Our delphi system is NOT a Mass Air Flow system like you find on many cars..... Like Mustangs, Corvettes, etc. It is NOT a 'smart' computer. It's dumb as a box of rocks.

It reads throttle position, manifold pressure and -- That's about it.... Oh yeah, the O2 sensor. Another 'dumb' sensor.

Not saying our computer is a bad computer..... No way. It is an EXCELLENT computer. Just that there was no way to make a Mass Air ('smart) system work on the Harley because the air flow is so -- Well, it's screwed up.

Front piston fires, the back one doesn't fire for another 405 degrees, then the front piston fires again in 320 degrees and -- It's just not something a Mass Air System can handle.

Exhaust will be fine. But you change the Air Intake, you need to get a tune.

You get a tune without changing the Air Intake and you've got a similar problem -- The tune MUST match the parts. And the exhaust system isn't in the equation. Unless you start putting camshafts and heads and -- Forget it.

If you think you're not up to putting something on -- Like pipes or, whatever. There's no shame in taking it to a professional.

Better to do that, better to spend to a few extra bucks than it is to screw up your nice new motorcycle.

My Father was a mechanical engineer with a few patents (none he made any personal money on, dammit) but he couldn't change the oil on the family car.

So don't feel bad about taking your bike to the shop for work.

I do most of my maintenance but if I'm in doubt, I send it out. You don't want your bike looking like scooter trash within a year.

Now -- Some people are so good at it, they're such good mechanics themselves, they're taking a step down if they send their bike out. I think you'll find a lot of Harley owners are like that. A lot.

You're not? So what. Doesn't mean you'll always be that way.

Old 10-21-2014, 10:43 PM
sugarcoat
Novice

Originally Posted by Grendel4
Keep the old one in case something bad happens.

As to tuning...... Look --

The Delphi System on our Harleys is a 'dumb' computer. It can make small, minor adjustments for altitude, fuel quality, etc.

But you start in with messing with the Air Intake and that's going to be more than it can handle.

Our delphi system is NOT a Mass Air Flow system like you find on many cars..... Like Mustangs, Corvettes, etc. It is NOT a 'smart' computer. It's dumb as a box of rocks.

It reads throttle position, manifold pressure and -- That's about it.... Oh yeah, the O2 sensor. Another 'dumb' sensor.

Not saying our computer is a bad computer..... No way. It is an EXCELLENT computer. Just that there was no way to make a Mass Air ('smart) system work on the Harley because the air flow is so -- Well, it's screwed up.

Front piston fires, the back one doesn't fire for another 405 degrees, then the front piston fires again in 320 degrees and -- It's just not something a Mass Air System can handle.

Exhaust will be fine. But you change the Air Intake, you need to get a tune.

You get a tune without changing the Air Intake and you've got a similar problem -- The tune MUST match the parts. And the exhaust system isn't in the equation. Unless you start putting camshafts and heads and -- Forget it.

If you think you're not up to putting something on -- Like pipes or, whatever. There's no shame in taking it to a professional.

Better to do that, better to spend to a few extra bucks than it is to screw up your nice new motorcycle.

My Father was a mechanical engineer with a few patents (none he made any personal money on, dammit) but he couldn't change the oil on the family car.

So don't feel bad about taking your bike to the shop for work.

I do most of my maintenance but if I'm in doubt, I send it out. You don't want your bike looking like scooter trash within a year.

Now -- Some people are so good at it, they're such good mechanics themselves, they're taking a step down if they send their bike out. I think you'll find a lot of Harley owners are like that. A lot.

You're not? So what. Doesn't mean you'll always be that way.
so what you're saying is that my bike will perfectly fine if i ONLY upgrade the exhaust?

Old 10-21-2014, 10:57 PM
sugarcoat
Novice

also, if i were to choose the V&H big radius would i have to do anything with the passenger peg on the exhaust side or does it fit just fine?

Old 10-22-2014, 05:12 AM
atrox88
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 55 Likes on 45 Posts

The short shots will be an easy install unless you are seriously mechanically challenged. In my book the big thing is mocking up the pipe first before you start tightening. Make sure the pipe lines up properly to the exhaust ports before tightening. Snug them but do not torque them until you have snugged up the rest of the system. Once that is done torque the nuts at the exhaust ports and the rest of the exhaust. I have to use torque specs because I have been known to get aggressive in tightening stuff and it's the right way anyway.

Quick Reply: Brand New 2014 Dyna Wide Glide Exhaust