Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Down side to Tank Lifts?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2014, 04:05 PM
Jesse_81
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Architect
Did a lift on my Sporty, I know different than a dyna. But I definetly lost some mileage and the reserve is less than before about half as much. got caugh trying to make it one more exit which I would have made pre-lift. Got to be reminded how much fun it is to push a bike for a mile. Still looks great but it is a possible side effect.
Sounds right to me. I was figuring on losing a few miles to the tank. I've never understood why they don't make the petcocks sit at the very back of the tank and why they wouldn't pitch the tank slightly anyways just for efficiency.

Old 10-20-2014, 04:09 PM
Jesse_81
Road Captain

Originally Posted by FXDF619
I have a 2" lift on mine. My gas gauge is way off. It says I'm empty when I have like a gallon left. .
My Fuel Gauge reads like that right from the factory. It's way off. I always use my trip anyways.

Old 10-20-2014, 04:59 PM
fatrob74
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think it makes the bike look 100 times better, but on a wide glide, i had to rotate my bars forward and adjust the brake and clutch levers. it makes the handlebars feel a little uncomfortable compared to the stock position as it makes the angle bend more rearward than down which is unnatural bend for the wrist. I had to do this or the throttle cable was rubbing the tank when turned to the right.

also, on a wide glide, the fork clamps on the upper triple tree misses the tank about 1/8 of an inch at full turn with a 2" lift. if i ever drop the bike, im sure there will be enough force to make the triple tree punch into the tank.

with all that said, id do it again.

Old 10-20-2014, 05:02 PM
DK Custom Products
Sponsor
Received 48 Likes on 35 Posts

The reason most people do a tank lift is for the looks. When we first started designing ours, we did so for 3 reasons:

1. The looks... It just flows better with the lines of the backbone of the bike to be lifted.
2. Ease of cleaning.... With more of the rockers exposed, it is now easier to clean them.
3. Air Flow... It makes for better Air Flow over the motor.

After doing testing, it was noticed that since more air now flows between the tank and motor, in some cases it can reduce the buffeting. This is not what they are designed for, more of a "side affect".

There is tons of information on tank lifts in this thread:
CLICK ME

In that thread it also addresses the fuel gauge and usable fuel capacity when you do a tank lift.

Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 10-21-2014, 05:20 AM
Punty
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by DK Custom Products
The reason most people do a tank lift is for the looks. When we first started designing ours, we did so for 3 reasons:

1. The looks... It just flows better with the lines of the backbone of the bike to be lifted.
2. Ease of cleaning.... With more of the rockers exposed, it is now easier to clean them.
3. Air Flow... It makes for better Air Flow over the motor.

After doing testing, it was noticed that since more air now flows between the tank and motor, in some cases it can reduce the buffeting. This is not what they are designed for, more of a "side affect".

There is tons of information on tank lifts in this thread:
CLICK ME

In that thread it also addresses the fuel gauge and usable fuel capacity when you do a tank lift.
X2= More AIR FLOW!!
the fuel gauge is an easy fix if you want to even be bothered
"P"

Old 10-22-2014, 10:08 AM
BigDogIdaho
Grand HDF Member
Received 187 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by Jesse_81
My Fuel Gauge reads like that right from the factory. It's way off. I always use my trip anyways.

Even when my bike was completely stock the light comes on early. I'm pretty sure they do this so you don't run out. When the miles to empty says "LO", I still have about 1 gallon left. This is your reserve. The analog gauge (which most vehicles have not just bikes) is never precise.

Old 10-23-2014, 08:21 PM
Odin510
Tourer
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I did a 2" lift on mine. Much easier cleaning, and I have less wind hitting me while riding. 09 street bob.