Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Down side to Tank Lifts?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2014, 01:49 PM
Jesse_81
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Down side to Tank Lifts?

Anyone got any input on any down sides of a tank lift? The Fuel Gauge is going to be a given. Problems actually running out of fuel earlier? Fuel line is a bit forward from the back of the tank. Just wondering if this has been a problem or slight enough it doesn't really matter. If anything else you guys might have experienced feel free to chime in. Thinking about building a set for my bike, but just covering bases first. Thanks.

Old 10-20-2014, 01:52 PM
fatmanontwowheels
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Not to get off the original question, but what is the actual purpose of these or is it purely cosmetic?

Old 10-20-2014, 01:58 PM
latrobedyna
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i did a 2" on mine and it really has not effected the gauge at all. I think it mostly cosmetic in nature but some folks claim it helps cool the head's and rocker boxes. I can see where this might be true but i sure can not prove that claim.

Old 10-20-2014, 01:58 PM
LIMITLESS
Advanced

2" lift on mine...No other issues except I had rotate my hand controls a little to keep from contacting the tank during full lock. I'm running drag bars.

Old 10-20-2014, 02:01 PM
Jesse_81
Road Captain

Originally Posted by fatmanontwowheels
Not to get off the original question, but what is the actual purpose of these or is it purely cosmetic?
Yes, just for looks IMO. Some say less heat since it's not right on the rockers, but I dunno about that. Every bit of extra air you can get isn't a bad thing for our air-cooled piggies I suppose...

Old 10-20-2014, 02:44 PM
FXDF619
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a 2" lift on mine. My gas gauge is way off. It says I'm empty when I have like a gallon left. I never pushed it too far because the fuel crossover line is in the front of the tank and the gas is angled away from it now. I like the way the bike looks with the lifter tank so I may make up a 1" lift for the back of the tank to try to reduce the issue with the gas and gauge.

Old 10-20-2014, 02:46 PM
big stick
Novice

I know its all personal preference so for me thats easy to answer...It takes away any nice lines a bike has, and i think any tank lift leaves you with a butt ugly motorcycle....But thats only my opinion

Old 10-20-2014, 02:52 PM
Jesse_81
Road Captain

Originally Posted by big stick
I know its all personal preference so for me thats easy to answer...It takes away any nice lines a bike has, and i think any tank lift leaves you with a butt ugly motorcycle....But thats only my opinion
Silly troll, I wasn't asking for opinions on how it looks. Thanks for your worthless opinion anyhow.

Old 10-20-2014, 03:15 PM
Architect
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,892 Likes on 2,549 Posts

Did a lift on my Sporty, I know different than a dyna. But I definetly lost some mileage and the reserve is less than before about half as much. got caugh trying to make it one more exit which I would have made pre-lift. Got to be reminded how much fun it is to push a bike for a mile. Still looks great but it is a possible side effect.

Old 10-20-2014, 03:26 PM
big stick
Novice

Originally Posted by Jesse_81
Silly troll, I wasn't asking for opinions on how it looks. Thanks for your worthless opinion anyhow.
Hey im no Troll, i was just chiming in with an honest and open opinion...

Quick Reply: Down side to Tank Lifts?