Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hmmm how bad would it be if.........

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2014, 06:02 PM
hitman1267
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Grendel4
You could have damaged every moving part inside your engine.

But if you didn't break anything, if nothing broke through the side of the case or jug, if it isn't rattling like an old hay wagon.....

Change the oil and filter, put some decent oil in it and ride it. Change the oil while it's hot........ Both times

Then change the oil and filter again after a few miles (50? 100?? 200?? your call) and fill it with really, really good oil......

Why? Because you may have sludged the oil a little bit by running it low. Running the engine with low oil is going to over-heat what little oil is in there. Over-heated oil sludges. Not good.

If that works, good on you. Lesson learned.

I got a dipstick that lights up and tells me how much oil I have (right now, it's over-full ) and what temperature it is when I push the little button on it.

Got tired of burning my fingers. Plus, it's a toy. And we all know about boys and their toys...... We like 'em, so it gets you into the habit of checking your oil fill level.

You're probably okay, but do what I said. It's easy for me to spend your money, but it's what I'd do if I were in your shoes.

after I hit myself in the head with something heavy
You mind me asking where you get that dipstick ?

Old 10-20-2014, 06:42 PM
DJY
Road Captain
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

oil light on=low oil pressure=damage.

Old 10-20-2014, 06:53 PM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter

Received 4,308 Likes on 2,356 Posts

at the very least find an owner's manual for your bike, then go in the little room and read it. Then step up to a service manual to help you learn this bike. Repairs aren't cheap!

Old 10-20-2014, 08:23 PM
Trim Reaper
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just curious. How much oil did it take to bring it up to where it needed to be on the dipstick?

Old 10-20-2014, 08:29 PM
hitman1267
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Trim Reaper
Just curious. How much oil did it take to bring it up to where it needed to be on the dipstick?
It took two bottles before it was up to where it needed to be. So there was only a quart sitting in her

Old 10-21-2014, 02:47 AM
Warp Factor
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 87 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by hitman1267
It took two bottles before it was up to where it needed to be. So there was only a quart sitting in her
Ouch, there was probably less than a quart.
Any unusual noises, or does it sound the same as it did when you bought it? Is the oil light staying off at idle now?

Old 10-21-2014, 02:48 AM
Id.Fat Bob
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I checked it cold, and saw that there was only a little oil on the dip stick, so I immediately picked up some oil and filled it where she needs to be. The oil pressure light was flickering a bit, that's when I said "yea I should check the oil. I got the bike used from the dealer about a month ago I assumed there was oil in there. Guess not, unless I have a leak somewhere or burning off oil somewhere.
Waiting till the oil light is flashing and THEN checking your oil is like putting the barrel of a gun in your mouth and pulling the trigger to see if it's loaded...if you don't blow your head off, then you're okay! Unreal!

Old 10-21-2014, 07:25 AM
Grendel4
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

You mind me asking where you get that dipstick ?
It's a Harley part. It's on the wall at about every HD Dealership.

Caution! You might want to sit down before you see the price on this

http://www.harley-davidson.com/store...-10-6294609--1

Old 10-21-2014, 07:34 AM
Grendel4
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

dewd.......

Go through the process...... Put in some new oil and a new filter, ride for a little while, then do it again. (change it HOT.... Kinda important in this case)

You don't have to spend a fortune on the oil and filter (make sure both are appropriate for your use) you're going to drain out after a 100 miles or so, but get some good oil for the 2nd change.

I use Mobil 1, 20-50W MOTORCYCLE oil

IMO, that's about as good as it gets.

Don't play with this ****. Get it done. You really don't wanna know how much money you're looking at if you don't take this seriously

Last edited by Grendel4; 10-21-2014 at 07:36 AM.
Old 10-21-2014, 07:44 AM
96roadking
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Also what oil should I use? What's y'all favorite
OMG! use the search function, read all the oil related posts that have ever been written on the forum and then decide for yourself!

Quick Reply: Hmmm how bad would it be if.........