Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hmmm how bad would it be if.........

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2014, 03:31 PM
hitman1267
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Hmmm how bad would it be if.........

What if I may have rode the bike with little oil, I have been neglecting checking it. Maybe rode three weeks with the oil level like that. What could have I damaged????

I know I am retarded, I should check these things more often.

Old 10-20-2014, 03:49 PM
DJY
Road Captain
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

How little?

Old 10-20-2014, 04:06 PM
Grendel4
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by hitman1267
What if I may have rode the bike with little oil, I have been neglecting checking it. Maybe rode three weeks with the oil level like that. What could have I damaged????

I know I am retarded, I should check these things more often.
You could have damaged every moving part inside your engine.

But if you didn't break anything, if nothing broke through the side of the case or jug, if it isn't rattling like an old hay wagon.....

Change the oil and filter, put some decent oil in it and ride it. Change the oil while it's hot........ Both times

Then change the oil and filter again after a few miles (50? 100?? 200?? your call) and fill it with really, really good oil......

Why? Because you may have sludged the oil a little bit by running it low. Running the engine with low oil is going to over-heat what little oil is in there. Over-heated oil sludges. Not good.

If that works, good on you. Lesson learned.

I got a dipstick that lights up and tells me how much oil I have (right now, it's over-full ) and what temperature it is when I push the little button on it.

Got tired of burning my fingers. Plus, it's a toy. And we all know about boys and their toys...... We like 'em, so it gets you into the habit of checking your oil fill level.

You're probably okay, but do what I said. It's easy for me to spend your money, but it's what I'd do if I were in your shoes.

after I hit myself in the head with something heavy

Last edited by Grendel4; 10-20-2014 at 04:13 PM.
Old 10-20-2014, 04:11 PM
JMC22
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 328 Likes on 243 Posts

It depends on how little oil, how long you rode, how hard you rode it and how hot it was outside...

In any case, unless you broke the engine down to inspect everything you probably won't know.

I'd change the oil now, run her for about a few hundred miles then change it again and inspect the oil - if it comes out clean, then you are probably okay.

Old 10-20-2014, 04:12 PM
billatstarbrite
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use big oil in my bike.

Old 10-20-2014, 04:15 PM
Duracell
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,654 Likes on 580 Posts

It would be impossible for anyone here to answer that question over the internet based on your post. But just wait a few minutes and a whole slew of guys that don't know the answer will tell you everything you need to know.

Especially the ones who have their bikes serviced by the dealer and couldn't find the dipstick or tell you which side the valve stem is on.

If the thread stays alive long enough there will be some good info from a few here that are very knowledgeable but the rest are going to be funny so I'll hang out and watch.

Old 10-20-2014, 04:35 PM
upflying
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 26,172 Likes on 11,106 Posts

As long as the oil pressure light (idiot light) did not go on you should be ok.

Old 10-20-2014, 05:34 PM
hitman1267
Cruiser

Well I checked it cold, and saw that there was only a little oil on the dip stick, so I immediately picked up some oil and filled it where she needs to be. The oil pressure light was flickering a bit, that's when I said "yea I should check the oil. I got the bike used from the dealer about a month ago I assumed there was oil in there. Guess not, unless I have a leak somewhere or burning off oil somewhere.

Old 10-20-2014, 05:42 PM
hitman1267
Cruiser

Also what oil should I use? What's y'all favorite

Old 10-20-2014, 05:56 PM
upflying
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 26,172 Likes on 11,106 Posts

Originally Posted by hitman1267
Also what oil should I use? What's y'all favorite
Opinions on oil brands go back as far as time began. There is no right answer, just get 20-50 synthetic. Besides engine oil, I would change primary and transmission too.

Quick Reply: Hmmm how bad would it be if.........